• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Sickness and Treatments

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
In a past (and dead) thread I made, I've talked about the possibility of maybe Pokerus can be changed. As you may recall, from biology, Pokérus is an example of a mutualistic virus (something that ironically doesn't give negative effects), in which both host and virus benefit. Viruses with possible positive effects exist in the real world, but all of Pokérus's known effects are objectively positive. But see, the point of this thread is to look at the fact that pokemon can catch viruses.

You'd probably know by now that this thread is going to play on the possible theme of genetics on these games, in which, these games might have some references to cells as well. And so, more play on with cells could mean that there could mean that sickness can be a problem for pokemon in these games. But, could that be a possibility? Well, as you recall from the previous pokemon games, some pokemon get sick, such as the sick Milktank, the sick Ampharos, and the Psyducks with migraines. Milktank was healed with berries, and Ampharos and the Psyducks were cured with a Secret Potion. Pokerus was a beneficial virus, in which the pokemon will grow very well (It will gain double EVs if I can recall).

But, with possible themes of biology, could Pokerus play a bigger role than a mechanic? Do you think Pokerus be researched further, or play a big role in these games? Other than the fact that the nurses in pokemon centers explains that Pokérus is a small life form that infects the pokemon and make them grow well, there isn't much more to say about that. It has quite a mysterious factor. Do you think that with the possible theme of genetics or biology in these games, could its origins be finally be explained?

Now, with the idea that pokemon can catch viruses, in X&Y, could it be possible that your in-game pokemon can have the potential to catch other forms of viruses as well? Could they be more negative than positive? For example, say there was a new type of pokemon virus that gives your pokemon a stomach ache. Could that potentially worsen your pokemon's condition to battle? (ie. lowering stats?) Maybe there can be more beneficial viruses? What could those types of viruses do to your pokemon?

Finally, there's also the concern with the treatments for possible new illness... Medicine in the games are mostly used to heal wounds. Secretpotion right now seems to be the "cure all" medicine for illness, but, could X&Y introduce more treatments or medicine to cure potential new illlness?

Do you have any other thoughts related on this matter?

Student D1

De-Wott?
Years
I wouldn't really want my Pokémon in X and Y to get non-beneficial viruses, especially if one of them gets one somewhere unexpectedly at the starting points of the game; that would be really unfortunate. But if there are more beneficial viruses other than Pokérus, which enhances your stats by multiplying the EVs by two, then that will be a good idea.

Let us say, other than Pokérus, there are other viruses that'll enhance or boost one stat only; that's good enough for starting trainers. And also, the beneficial viruses would be a bit more common, while Pokérus will be the rarest of all viruses. More than that, I think there should be different viruses in different areas of the region, just like how there are different Pokémon in different patches of grass of the region. Just to make thing fair.

But anyway, if you've read my first sentence, it doesn't mean it's a bad idea to have non-beneficial viruses in the game; I just don't want to have my Pokémon have one at the beginning. So, if you've read my fourth sentence in my second paragraph, I stated that it'll be good if there are different viruses in different areas of the region. If that's the case, the beneficial viruses will be the first ones to cling on our Pokémon while the non-beneficial viruses will be introduced later in the game, post-story perhaps? They would be a bit less common than the beneficial ones though. The introduction of the SecretPotion again and other possible medicines and herbs to heal those negative viruses would be introduced too sooner in the story of the two games.

Anyways, that's just my thoughts and ideas. X and Y is more speculated to the XYZ axis though, but the idea of chromosomes are also quite fascinating, and would make the games more interesting.

Student D1

De-Wott?
Years
My concern with this is that, when you have a virus with negative effects, it starts to worsen, and that goes ditto for your Pokemon's health. That said, would death also be incorporated into the games? If your Pokemon goes without treatment too long, would they face death? That's my primary worry and the primary reason for me feeling uncomfortable with this. :(

I don't think GF would allow a "Death" status in an E-rated game. I suppose they'll just get the Faint status if they're experiencing a virus for too long without treatment. Let's just say that the bad viruses are like the Poison status (back in Generation I - IV), where the HP of the Pokémon will steadily drop until it reaches the end and faints.

And I know that viruses are really dangerous to the health, but just remember that X and Y is just a pair of video games; let's not put reality too much in them.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
If anything, I can see the Pokérus playing a part in the story of the game, but I doubt they would go and change the mechanics of it. There could potentially be another sick Pokémon that needs help being cured, but I think rehashing that mechanic again for the fourth(?) time would be silly.

Back