• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Odyssey: TCA

Waudby

logo.png

BOOM!! BIG UPDATE!!Saturday, 18/04/2009

Made In Sphere.

Okay so for the past few weeks (or is it months now?), I've been promising a big update on "Pokémon Odyssey: Episodes" for everyone, so here we go - it's not quite what you were expecting in a new thread hey? :P

Before we get into the bulk of the update, I just wanna take a quick time out and thank the people that have made this update and the game possible.

First and foremost, Riceeman, He has been a massive asset to the update and will continue to help the game all through it's production. He's always been very supportive of everything I do in the game. So when I went to him about the update, he was really excited about helping out. You could say he was a massive part of the driving force behind this :P

Secondly, Cipher, He has helped work on some of the details of the update, making sure everything sounds as official as possible.

I'd like to thank Kyledove for some of the tiles and also the style that the game takes. Thanks to Vampire://Krimm for the original banner designs and also the ideas for the CSS.

I'd also like to thank Radnen and Rhuan, for the help that they have given me throughout the cause of development.

A big thanks to Fangking as well for the awesome logo :)

And the most important people are obviously you the fans, without you the game wouldn't be what it is today.

Okay now onto the details :P

What have all these hints been about...

We decided we would try and create a small level of buzz and anticipation before the update was revealed, so that people were really looking forward to it - hopefully we succeeded in getting people's attention :P

Okay so some of you may have easily guessed it from the clues and others may have missed them, or just stumbled in here.

But what we have decided to do is something a bit different in the fan game world - we're ditching the real life Pokémon, and opting for Trading Cards.

That's right, Pokémon Odyssey, has become, Pokémon Odyssey: Trading Card Adventure.

There were a lot of different reason for this, the main one being, I grew tired of games that all looked the same, this was an obvious move to originality. I spoke to Riceeman and he seemed to want to be part of this, so we put our skills together and designed some fun Pokémon Cards to be used in game. It's been a really good experience collaborating with Riceeman, we've had a few laughs and have really enjoyed hinting and teasing everyone.

So hopefully the rest of this update will live up to your expectations :D

So how will this work..

So now since this is such a big change, the way things work in-game have changed somewhat.

The overworld and tiles will remain the same style, but with new tiles to fit the new ideas. This will include a Card Shop, Tournament House and also few other hidden surprises :P

The storyline has also changed as well, it still retains it's more fun outlook, favouring playability over epic-ness.

And the most obvious change would clearly be the Battle System.

Now onto the media...

screenshot%202009.04.17%2012.00.12.0992.png
new1.png
new2.png
new3.png

As you can see, this just shows you a small amount of the battle system. You've already seen screenshots of the maps from before the update, and as much hasn't changed we're keeping the newer bits secret for the next update :P

The first screen is just showing the basic battle area, with the Decks, the Bench, Discard Pile. Please note it will also show the prize card pile.
The next shot shows the hand screen and the basic grass energy card, sprited by yours truly.
The next screen is just the same but showing the Pikachu card, it seems to have become our mascot card :P
And the last screen shot shows the system for picking where to place a Basic Pokémon Card onto the bench.

How will the story work...

Obviously we can't do the same kind of story lines as what most fan games do now. It's hard to stp world domination was trading cards after all.

We had to think long and hard about a convincing story line for the game. And while the story still isn't 100% set in stone we have got a good idea of what we want to do.

You start of as just a teenager living in a small town. You and a friend have finally saved up enough money to go and purchase you basic starter deck.
You are given the choice of the Growth Spurt Deck ,the grass starter deck, the Heat Flare Deck, the fire starter deck and the Tidal Surge Deck, the water starter deck.

After buying the cards, you step outside, only to be confronted by a group of older card collectors, they steal your friends new deck and you challenge the leader to a card game - this is the easy tutorial battle. After winning your friend gets his deck back and you journey back home.

We got stuck for ideas at this stage of planning until we decided - why not have a TCG tournament like in real life.

So this is what we are going to do. You will travel around the region, playing against other collectors trying to win enough TCP, or Trading Card Points, to enter the Entry Stage of the big annual tournament.

On the way things aren't just that simple, there'll be puzzles for you to solve, people to help out. We hope to make this a new and exciting fan-game.

Feature List...

• All 493 Pokémon available in card form, with multiple versions of some.
• Brand new card details designed by Riceeman and Cipher.
• Custom built decks by the team.
• Constantly updating Booster Packs just like in real life.
• The chance to have a TCG match with a friend online.
• A fun to play story line, that at it's core is very light hearted.

Hopefully you've enjoyed this update and it has surprised you. We really can't wait to show you more of what we have in store but for now, you'll just have to wait :P

Until next time :D
~Waudby and Riceeman~

Last edited by a moderator:

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
Years
Oh man, this is big.

Well, congratulations for getting out of that pickle with sprite theft; seemed like you were going to quit. This probably the first TCG fan game, and it looks amazing, esepcially the grass energy sprite. Kudos to your originality.

Last edited:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I was expecting this to be a minigame, like in the Game Corner or something. I don't want to be rude, but I am not really looking forward to this, I can't see myself playing a card game for an extended period of time. But still I wish you luck, I know you'll make a great game, because I know how talented you are.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
In this response I won't really comment on the rest of the info other then the card system.

So after about 2 weeks of teasing me on msn, it's finally here on the boards. I told you not to tell me any info on msn, or show me screenshots and I'm glad you didn't.
It was nice to see a game that is trying something different.
I've given advice on msn, but I'll voice it hear and see if anyone has the same concerns.
My first one which I just said to you like 5 minutes ago would be, show the stats of the active player card in one straight line going across the bottom of the screen for the player, and one straight line across the top for the enemy active card. Just make things easier then using the mouse to hover over. Stats and effects are vital to a card game so it makes sense to display vital info on screen at any time for the player to see, rather then a sub menu screen.

It's nice to see the game use the mouse for something real rather then just tacked on. I think making mouse controls works really well for this system. It makes clicking cards a breeze rather then using arrow keys.

As for general features listed, online play will be a huge bonus for this game. Keep it to card battling only with a small sub area rather then some wild MMO goal. Sending data between players will be so quick with this simple style.

I'm not a fan of the "• All 493 Pokémon available in card form, with multiple versions of some."- bit too noob-y and ambitious. I don't anyone would blame you if there was only around 200/250 cards total in the game. That is still a lot.

Another suggestion would be, remember who your audience is for this fan game, and try keep things simple from mechanics to deck sizes. I don't know if you mentioned deck size, but 40 would be a nice number to micro manage, but again, try appeal to younger members and stick with a number that you think the fans would like- not just you are riceeman.

I have to say this with most threads these days- but Good luck :P

Edit:
I just read Yuoaman's post and that is a perfect example of listen to your audience. Remember people won't want to invest too much time into ANY fan game here- not just a card game. So keep your numbers and goals small to fit this.
And to repeat what was said above by another member..... Please don't "quite" on us :P:P

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
Years
Yeah, no offense or anything, this will probably be a really good game, I just don't like TCG so much anymore...

Mitchman

Banned
Years
Well then this is interesting. And I am with Yuoman here. I cannot see this going far. Sure a card game sounds cool and all but for the whol duration of a region? I dunno I wish you luck have fun with this but honestly I just gave up on your games. At least your crazy ideas to take sphere further has given me inspiration to make games.

Waudby

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far.

It's nice to see people challenging to choice, gives me more to comment on.

@Yuoaman and people: When you think about TCG, you must automatically think boring, yes? Well me and Riceeman are going to be adding loads of fun elements into the game to take away from this. There'll be lots to do, just because there's no real Pokémon here doesn't mean things wont be as fun.

Stop and think about the two side by side, is there and real difference between raising your Pokémon's level or improving your deck? Not really they're still both a means of making your battlers better.

It's a shame to see a few of you deciding to stop viewing the game because of the update, however take time to think about it, because the ideas aren't to dissimilar to that of a normal Pokémon game.

I guess only time will show that this can be done and done well. I look forward to disproving you lol.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Waudby, rather then try act elite over everyone and challenge them on what they said, my advice would be to ask people for suggestions. Ask them what can you improve on, what would they like to see and so on. It's such a shame to already what to disappoint the viewers of this section. You've already handled yourself wrong 6 posts in.

Likewise

Bye.
Years
I guessed that... you told me I was wrong <_<
Lol, it's looking great, I never like the tcg but I'll give it a shot.
The story is just like a basic pokemon story but with cards,I understand how hard it would be to make a game revolving around cards, but having a tidal deck, the flare deck and the growth deck makes it seem like a substitution for the pokemon starters, along with the added rival..
The reason you started was to bring more originality to the board, but the only original thing about this game is the use of cards.
But none the less, I still look forward to this game!

Waudby

Waudby, rather then try act elite over everyone and challenge them on what they said, my advice would be to ask people for suggestions. Ask them what can you improve on, what would they like to see and so on. It's such a shame to already what to disappoint the viewers of this section. You've already handled yourself wrong 6 posts in.

I didn't mean it in a challenging way, I just want to prove to people it can be done successfully, it wasn't confrontional intentionally.

I guessed that... you told me I was wrong <_<
Lol, it's looking great, I never like the tcg but I'll give it a shot.
The story is just like a basic pokemon story but with cards :/
But I understand how hard it would be to make a game revolving around cards.
But the tidal deck, the flare deck and the growth deck -_-'
It just seems like a substitution for the pokemon starters.
And you added a rival, why have a rival?
The reason you started was to bring more originality to the board, but the only original thing about this game is the use of cards.
But none the less, I still look forward to this game!

Ah the "friend", isn't a rival, it's just someone you've grown up with. The idea of the starter decks has to be there, it's fitting with the TCG base decks. Otherwise it would be hard to make balanced decks right from the start.

It's just a matter of bringing balance at the beginning and it's easy to change via the use of Booster Packs.

We are trying to stay quite true to the ideas behind TCG, that's why something's are the way they are.

And about the story, that is just the basic storyline that was required to allow the thread to be made, without detailing every possible storyline here it was the easiest way. Along the course of the game you will have multiple storylines running side by side.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Is the gameplay exactly the same as the real-world TCG? Or have you changed some of the rules?

Waudby

Is the gameplay exactly the same as the real-world TCG? Or have you changed some of the rules?

We're gonna try and stay as close to the official rules as possible and when we add our own Support Cards etc, we will obviously have to add some new rules into the game, same with different versions of the Pokémon Cards.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Whoa.
I'd rather not write anything else, but the 25 chars rule doesn't allow me so.

I'm gonna love this!
You just make sure you release a beta or smth. Well, good luck!

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
Years
Still, and I'm not doing this as a personal attack or anything, I don't think I will be playing the game. I really hated the TCG, even the ones in real life. I think the reason they did it was because Nintendo originally was a card game company (But this is WAAY back).

I've never liked trading card game. I still have some cards but I never had a real match with them. I kept them to see if I can get money of ebay for them (they're the original ones).

Ah well, I suppose you can't please everyone...

Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
You start of as just a teenager living in a small town. You and a friend have finally saved up enough money to go and purchase you basic starter deck.
You are given the choice of the Growth Spurt Deck ,the grass starter deck, the Heat Flare Deck, the fire starter deck and the Tidal Rush Deck, the water starter deck.

Wow when I read this, I actually got goosebumps! Is that sad? I'm a really big fan of the pokemon tcg - but I dont battle anymore I only collect them for the art. I remember playing the first two gameboy TCG's which seemed amazing at the time, and this whole project brings me that same nostalgic feeling that I loved and made them special.

Massive Kudos to you, and honestly, I dont think you are acting elite at all, I think you are right. People probably never even played the gameboy tcg's so they have no idea how this would work out, and it works out way more fun than people realize. They need to have a little faith. The only suggestion I would make is having proper card art for the pokemon if possible, the mystery dungeon mugshots probably wouldnt be enough for a tcg collector like me who does it for the art - that's probably asking too much though.

All in all, pretty excited! Will you be keeping gyms from the gameboy tcg? I think you should definately play them if you haven't already to get some ideas.

Riceeman

Spriter Guy
Years
  • Seen Nov 25, 2011
Yes, there will be Gym Leaders, though not in the usual sense. They are just renowned collectors and battlers and winning against them gets you more TCP then usual. They each have a main type, but most will have a few cards of another type mixed in.

Glad you like it Kyledove ^_^ I love collecting the TCG too, and that's why I said I'd help so much ^_^ Come on guys, can't you just have a little faith in us?

And that might be a possibility Kyledove, but it would involve exstensive spriting...I don't suppose you're volunteering? :P

Mitchman

Banned
Years
I actually have both of them sitting in my desk draw. My god were they tedious. Sure a bit fun bu tedious to make a perfect deck. I am sorry you are a great game designer and kudos to you for being super bad and being one step ahead of insanity I respect you as a game maker but nope I cannot bring myself to play something like this.

Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Why would you not play a game because of the battle system? I dont enjoy battling on the real pokemon games, but it would never stop me from playing it. Theres a lot more to a game than just the battle system.

I actually might be interested in doing some spriting for this, ehhhhhhhhhh I dunnoooo I cant make my mind up.

Waudby

Wow when I read this, I actually got goosebumps! Is that sad? I'm a really big fan of the pokemon tcg - but I dont battle anymore I only collect them for the art. I remember playing the first two gameboy TCG's which seemed amazing at the time, and this whole project brings me that same nostalgic feeling that I loved and made them special.

Massive Kudos to you, and honestly, I dont think you are acting elite at all, I think you are right. People probably never even played the gameboy tcg's so they have no idea how this would work out, and it works out way more fun than people realize. They need to have a little faith. The only suggestion I would make is having proper card art for the pokemon if possible, the mystery dungeon mugshots probably wouldnt be enough for a tcg collector like me who does it for the art - that's probably asking too much though.

All in all, pretty excited! Will you be keeping gyms from the gameboy tcg? I think you should definately play them if you haven't already to get some ideas.

Thanks for the comments Kyle, once again I'm glad that things are sorted between us.

I have played the first TCG, was the second ever translated or not? I can't remember seeing it anywhere.

I'm going to try and do some work on the art work for the cards, it is a massive tasks but I will be worth it.

Just like the real life cards having different artists, if you ever fancy designing a card's artwork we will be willing to use it :D

Back