• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hardest Unova Gym Leader?

Who is the hardest Unova Gym Leader?

• Total voters
Years
In every game, there is always one Gym Leader that is a big hurdle for us, and Black & White is no exception.

Which of the Gym Leaders in Unova gave you the most difficulty?

Vote in the poll but don't forget to give your reasons why you thought that Gym Leader/s was tough.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
It's been a while now since I played B/W, but from memory the ones I had the most trouble with were Lenora and Brycen. I think Lenora is so difficult because people tend to underestimate the power of Normal-type Pokemon, which is a lesson I should have learned from Whitney back in Generation 2 but obviously didn't lol

Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2012
Elesa. That girl's Emolgas always using the Volt Switch... I had luck when I fought against her in White, but in Black, I got angry with the game! I put my Zekrom in Black and pulverized them!

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
The only gym that I had a hard time with was Elesa's gym.
Her Emolga's were kicking me around a lot. :(
I think it took 2-3 tries for me to beat her the first time.

Second to Elesa would probably be Lenora. Lenora's Herdier was a little tough for the level my Pokemon were at the time. :P

Years
Elesa & Lenora. Oh! and also Clay, I had trouble with his team using Bulldoze repetitively.

I found Clay very easy, I took out his Excadrill without any problems.

Elesa was easy, I beat her with only a Zebstrika - mine was female and used Attract.

Lenora and Drayden were the only troublesome ones for me.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Lenora was a bit hard because of her Watchog's Hypnosis. In Black, it was a tough fight against Watchog using Dewott, but I eventually succeeded. In White, I was lucky to have Pignite's Arm Thrust hit 5 times.

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2012
Lenora and Elesa were the only ones I ever had to rebattle.
Why?
Lenora: Like others have said, we just haven't built up a strong team by the second badge. It was especially hard for me since I ditched my starter almost every time. I eventually figured out how to beat her in one try, but my first game I probably had to go back 5-6 times.

Elesa: Effin' Emolga, right? I didn't have a Rock or Ice type, and I didn't have any Pokemon who were particularly speedy either, so Elesa was a b***h to beat. Took me 3 times to beat her the first game. :c

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2012
I think Lenora is the most difficult gym leader because of her Watchog with Hypnosis/ Retaliate. Her Herdier is no problem, except for it using Leer so Watchog's Retaliate does even more damage.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
They were all easy, but hardest out of the bunch had to be Lenora... I underestimated it and watchog made one of my 'mons faint...

Other than that, I had no trouble at all with any of the gym leaders.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
The Unova Gym Leaders were far by for me the easiest set. Except for Lenora. I played this gen almost ten times already, and god. Lenora could still scare the living hell out of me.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Urf! Lenora...one word to explain how the battle went. HARD.
I had to train a Timburr until it evolved to win.

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2013
Lenora. I haven't got good team when i fought her, so i had little problem with her Watchog.

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2023
Lenora >.<
hate her watchog even i evolve my tepig to pignite
it alwasy sleep cause that *u***ng hypnosis move
i can beat her when my pignite in lv 30 =.=

Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2012
Lenora >.<
hate her watchog even i evolve my tepig to pignite
it alwasy sleep cause that *u***ng hypnosis move
i can beat her when my pignite in lv 30 =.=

why didn't you catch a timburr in Pinwheel Forest Entrance?? I used one and I bought some awakens... It resolved the problem :)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
@ Those who chose Lenora: Ya'll crazy (not in a literal sense!) With uhhhh what is that attack Pignite has that hits twice, Arm Thrust? Yeah. Just like, grind your Pignite's and BOOM, it'll be strong w/ Arm Thrust and can easily OHKO the Watchog.

PLUS PLUS PLUS you can also EV train early on w/ the Patrat's and the Lillipup's. :3 Sooo Arm Thrust should be strong enough!!

Oh yeah and for those w/ issues with Elesa, go grab a Pokemon in the desert. idk like a Sandile and level it up. Suddenly, Volt Switch and Emolga aren't as much of an issue anymore. Or at least that's how it should work. I just normally grind my Emboar. :x

I'd agree with those who chose the dragon gym leaders and the starter-based gym, since with the way the gym is designed you can't really go back and heal yourself without beating ALL the trainers and without your own Axew it's kinda difficult. :( And as for the starter gym, yeah... not using the monkey early on kinda can suck. ;;

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Lenora, probably. Funny how it's always the normal-type leaders... but I didn't have an Onix this time!
Anyway, Herdier is wickedly strong for so early in the game; it's like Misty's Starmie in R/B/G all over again. I didn't have any trouble with her Watchog, unlike many posting here. I did have a Mienfoo (traded) and my own Herdier, so I met her on even footing, but bizzarely even then the battle was somewhat troubling.

Drayden/Iris was a pushover compared to Clair.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Clay was the hardest for me both on Black and White. I had problems with his dang Steamroller move. That move pretty much KOed all my pokemon. Took me a lot of tries to finaly beat him.

I found the rest of them pretty easy to beat. I got me one Vanillia or what ever it's called and KOed all the pokemon in 1 to 2 hits in the dragon gym

Last edited:
Back