• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding new types into Fire Red without replacing

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Hello Gentlemans and Ladywomans! I am here to bring you this very special tutorial.
With a new type being added in Gen VI, hackers want to stay up to date and add this new type. However, they usually just replace the ??? type but this messes up Struggle and eggs. So, here I am with this tutorial, complementing DestinedJagold's and MrDollSteak's tutorials. Check them out if you're using Ruby or Emerald respectively.

For this tutorial, you need:
1. NSE 2.X
2. A hex editor, I have HxD
3. A Fire Red 1.0 rom
4. Paint XP/Vista

The photos are borked, I'll get to fixing them soon.

This comes in 3 parts, The Icon, The Chart and The Name.
HERE WE GO! LETS'A GO!

PART 1: THE ICON
Spoiler:

PART 2: THE CHART
Spoiler:

PART 3: THE NAME
Spoiler:

If you wanna edit pokemon or moves using programs, you're gonna have to edit the inis.
There should be 2 things you want to edit.
1. typenames or typenameoffset or something along those lines.
Change the address in this line to the address of where the name table is.
2. number of types.
To change this, first take 22 and add the number of new types you added. In my case, I added 3 new types, so I would change this to 25.

And that's it. If you read all of this, you should be able to create many new types, if you leave enough space. If you see any mistakes, please post it in the thread. Or just comment.

Credit:
coolboyman for the original thread on the type chart
MrDollSteak for his patch that includes the new Fairy type added in, and allowing me to look through the rom.
destinedjagold for his thread, which kind of convinced me to make my thread

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Credit:

And it's about time you did! >:3

Seriously, nice tutorial. Hoping that this will help FR/LG hackers out there. :D

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
Hello Gentlemans and Ladywomans! I am here to bring you this very special tutorial.
With a new type being added in Gen VI, hackers want to stay up to date and add this new type. However, they usually just replace the ??? type but this messes up Struggle and eggs. So, here I am with this tutorial, complementing DestinedJagold's tutorial. Check it out if you're using Ruby/Emerald

For this tutorial, you need:
1. NSE 2.X
2. A hex editor, I have HxD
3. A Fire Red 1.0 rom

This comes in 3 parts, The Icon, The Chart and The Name.
HERE WE GO! LETS'A GO!

Spoiler:

PART 2: THE CHART
Spoiler:

PART 3: THE NAME
Spoiler:

And that's it. If you read all of this, you should be able to create many new types, if you leave enough space. If you see any mistakes, please post it in the thread. Or just comment.

Credit:
coolboyman for the original thread on the type chart
11bayerf1 for his patch that includes the new Fairy type added in, and allowing me to look through the rom

Nice to see the offsets I gave you went to good use!

P.S I'd just like to say here, using the image and palette I set up is absolutely fine, though credit will need to be given for obvious reasons :)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 19, 2014
Spoiler:

Excuse me I can't understand this, could you guide me by image? (Sorry for my bad English)

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Excuse me I can't understand this, could you guide me by image? (Sorry for my bad English)

I actually explain how to do this in the second part, The Chart. Basically, copy the all of the bytes that are used, paste them in some free space near the end of the rom, you'll know because it is filled with FFs. Then, add in your new entries, and repoint, which I show how to do in the second part of the tutorial.

Years
So, to get the co-ordinate of, in this case, Fairy, take 20 from the Normal type. Count how many rows beneath the Normal Icon is the Fairy Icon, in this case 4. Multiply this by 20, then add it to the 20, in this case 100. Wait whoops, its in hex, so its 0xA0. Then, Count the amount of columns the Fairy icon is away from the Normal icon, in this case 2. Multiply this number by 4, then add it to the final product. So, the co-ordinates for the fairy icon are 0xA8. You can use this "algorithm" to figure out the other co-ordinates as well.

Anyway, go to the final entry, which is 28 0C E8 00 and change to to 20 0C E8 00, because the size used to correspond to the "-Type-" and other icons which are bigger than the type icons, so change the 28 to a 20 as well. Not done yet, as we also moved the co-ordinates of all of the "-Type-" icons as well, so in this case:

"Ignore the 28 which isn't changed into a 20, I forgot to do it in this shot"

If you added more types then the amount of entries provide, move the entire hex into a new location, add some more entries, then repoint. Simple.
Now to test. In this case, to add the new type, just change any type on any Pokemon to 0x16, any other new types start at 0x18 because Nintendo.
i dont really get this part can you explain it to me some more??

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
i dont really get this part can you explain it to me some more??

Well, to put it as simply as I can, I think you should look at the type icon chart. The first row is Normal, Fire, Water and grass. The co-ordinates are 0x20, 0x24, 0x28 and 0x2C. The next row corresponds to this pattern, except you add 0x20. This is the same for all rows until the -type- row, where they skip the 0xX4 and 0xXC coordinates. So the coordinates for say, rock would be 0x44. And if you place your Fairy type icon when the -Type- icon used to be the coordinate would be 0xA8.

Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2016
Thank you very much.
I learned to editing the effectiveness and resistances of types in D/P/P too.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Which is the offset of Bulbasaur? Thank you

You could easily edit the type in YAPE by editing the type constraints in the inis. Making the maximum types 19 and adding in the new type as 18. Otherwise, you can use the offset listed in the YAPE ini as well as using bulbapedia to help edit the type.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 19, 2014
You could easily edit the type in YAPE by editing the type constraints in the inis. Making the maximum types 19 and adding in the new type as 18. Otherwise, you can use the offset listed in the YAPE ini as well as using bulbapedia to help edit the type.

I opened the romdata.ini file and changed the MaxtypeVal from 17 to 19
tumblr_mxqd0xJfQD1somzu8o1_500.png
but nothing happened in YAPE
tumblr_mxqd0xJfQD1somzu8o2_1280.png
. What should I do next?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I opened the romdata.ini file and changed the MaxtypeVal from 17 to 19
Spoiler:
but nothing happened in YAPE
Spoiler:
. What should I do next?

Edit YAPE's commonvals.ini found in [YAPE\data\en-us] and add your new types.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
Nice Tutorial, really helped a newbie like me, but I have a problem, It says that YAPE Has an error readomg Base Stats every time I make Bulbasaur Fairy Type and save it, Yape cannot read the ROM, why is this? It shows up as Fairy in The game but YAPE apparently cannot read the Base Stats? Help D:

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Nice Tutorial, really helped a newbie like me, but I have a problem, It says that YAPE Has an error readomg Base Stats every time I make Bulbasaur Fairy Type and save it, Yape cannot read the ROM, why is this? It shows up as Fairy in The game but YAPE apparently cannot read the Base Stats? Help D:

This might happen if you did not change the maximum types in the ini to 19. Look at misterpoor's post above. It shows the change.

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
I did that and it still gives me that error :(, What could I be doing wrong? Btw I have already edited some Pokemon base stats before I looked at the tutorial.

Back