• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Studies show too much xxxx can cause cancer

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
These days, studies constantly come out showing that seemingly harmless things we use or consume every day can cause heart disease, cancer, liver failure, manic depression, post traumatic stress disorder, spontaneous combustion, etc. For example, they just posted a study showing that too much sugar is linked to fatal heart disease. Another study a few years ago reported that drinking 8 glasses of water a day can actually cause kidney damage. And here's a short list of things that over the years have been "proven" to be linked to cancer:

Spoiler:

While it's good to know the risks, worrying too much about it would be unhealthy in itself. Who wants to go through their day worrying that talking on their cell phone might be giving them cancer? My question is, do you care about any of these? :P Do any of these kinds of studies give you pause or make you feel the need to curb any of your daily habits?

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
Years
I got to breasts, and just started laughing. Some of that stuff could cause them, but 99% of that list is just bs. I mean, seriously, were still don't understand cancer enough to say, "Oh yes, aside from radiation, this list does in fact cause cancer."

I even heard of one study claiming that burnt food causes cancer. Seriously? So does that mean I can sue Applebee's for giving me cancer because they burnt my chicken penne, which I still have not clue how it happened?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
When I read something like this, I can't help but thinking about this song (couple strong words at the end)

http://youtu.be/7yzbxwxWUz0

Seriously, at this point, seeing how everything gives you cancer... why bother? Just don't do the more obviously cancerigen things with clear scientific links (tobacco, alcohol, sunbathing without protection). Everything else is crazy tabloids blowing things out of proportion to get the scary headline of the day.

Years
I think this heightens my interest in statistics and science out of both curiosity and a concern for my health. For the large part I can see how most of these factors contributes to cancer and I'm ready to learn for the factors I don't yet understand (all you need is an understanding of how cancer works as well as a basic understanding of the chemistry underlying biology). For most people I don't think the fact that xxxx contributes to cancer should contribute in turn to their worry but rather incite them to learn more - otherwise your reaction just isn't productive.

And "proof" of being linked to something is the link itself - links don't require proof, it's just an empirical association between two variables with no discussion of if or how one causes the other.

My habits are for a large part fine, but I really have to work on the exercise bit and cancer isn't what troubles me in that respect. I could do some work on kissing and breasts as well.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
If you kept yourself away from everything that could cause cancer, you'd have to lock yourself in a padded room. Even then something in the padding could probably cause it. It's pretty common, unfortunately. Also, fortunately, at least the chances of getting it are fairly low. -o-

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
YOOOO I am not about to give up birth control and celery because of a risk of cancer. SORRY. But I like to keep mother nature at bay and celery is the bomb.

Priorities, man.

Edit: Was reading some more...

free radicals, french fries, fruit, gasoline, genes, gingerbread, global warming,

gasoline, genes, gingerbread

Guess it's too late. We all have cancer, everyone.

Years
Lol @ bus shelters giving you cancer.

I'm sorry but this is crap. The vast majority of these "results" people are finding or things that may lead to cancer. But in this modern society no one is going to live long enough or consume enough of these things to notice any real difference. Look, some people are going to get cancer but I will be damned if anyone dies by bus shelter overdose induced cancer.
The scope is too wide, why not focus on the major causes and keep the little things on the backburner for a while.

Guest123_x1

I think just about everything known to man is harmful to us in some way or another. This ongoing and escalating war on cancer hasn't reduced cancer cases at all, much like the War on Drugs hasn't reduced illegal drug use at all. I'm hearing about so many people getting cancer all the time now, it's not even the least bit funny! Yet, I have neighbors who are heavy smokers, yet they seem to be perfectly healthy, perhaps even healthier than I am! I just hope I don't end up dying in pain and agony from some cancer. If I had any control on how I will die, I'd rather it be from a random heart attack or stroke at a young age, or getting beheaded or shot. I might as well go into Flint or Detroit and walk around its neighborhoods, particularly the latter city where I could try and find any of the places my mom lived (although they've probably all been heavily vandalized or torn down by now), so as to await my fate like a captain aboard a sinking ship.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Some of these sound made up like

careers for women

And

not having a twin

So women shouldn't have a career or they'll get cancer. Or anyone without a twin will have cancer. I'm laughing too much at these two.

I'm gonna get cancer cause I don't have a twin. XD

I'm sure there are some of these that are true, but practically almost everything we do on a daily basis can cause cancer or some sort of sickness it seems. You may as well seclude yourself from society if you want to avoid getting cancer and as Drew/Leo Baskerville said, you'll still probably get cancer somehow. Seriously though, don't do that. I know I have/do some of these everyday such as eat bread and go to a bus station and I'm very healthy and cancer free for all I can tell.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I don't want to get cancer, due to them being uncurable, so I'll do anything to avoid things that are going to increase my chances of getting cancer. However, studying is a requirement for me to pass tests, and if I don't study, I'll flunk my classes. In other words, what's the point of living a life without cancer?

Years
I honestly thought this topic was going to be a serious one with believable evidence then I start reading the list, I get to "careers for women." I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to pull my feminism side out, where did this extensive list even come from? Putting that aside, my sister was an unfortunate victim of cancer 10 years ago and thankfully she survived or else I wouldn't know where our family would be without her. Our family has no history of medical illnesses and she wasn't an unhealthy individual so cancer can happen to just about anyone. I'm more concerned about the foods that could potentially give you cancer so I try to take care of my diet and exercise to avoid the risks.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Its a **** thing to say drinking 8 glasses water a day can cause cancer, i can't stop laughing.

Back