• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Eternity - Realtime Battles, future MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Basically I am speaking on behalf of the projects coder to show people what's coming in the future.

Almost all of the fan made games have the same thing in common. They all are based on the age old Pokemon formula.

I am sure you have asked yourself, what would a realistic battle system in a Pokemon game be like? Not like Colosseum, but live action and more skill based.

That's right, real time battles. Not only will this game have action in real time, but this will be a MMO.

Obviously we can't use things like RMXP, and making it browser based would be pointless. So it is being coded from scratch using Python (similar to Ruby). Since there is no backbone of code it will take a while to get a workable demo for everyone's use. However, starting from the ground up will allow freedom in every part of the development. As far as compatibility goes, Windows, Mac, and Linux will all be supported. It will also be available in French and English (separate servers and characters for each language).

Currently the game is set in an arena fashion where you will be able to create a trainer, pick a Pokemon, and do battle with others, leveling along the way. However, once the base code is fully laid out, we'll be able to expand the game just like a regular Pokemon game. Towns, adventure, quests, storyline, the works.

ciblage.png

We have many things planned, and do not wish to spoil all the surprises and ideas at once. Eventually we'll reveal them as they get finished.

Right now the team basically consists of two people: The coder (Kamishi) who is basically doing all the tough stuff, and myself (I do various tasks to help out). Since it is a big project, we would appreciate any help that people can contribute.

- Right now we currently need content creators such as spriters, mappers, and artists. Even information gathering put in a specific format will help a lot. To be on the safe side of the rules, I have created a separate topic here for more specifics on what we need.

Mapping
I guess our first surprise is a map editor. Here in a week or two we'll have a map editor ready in which people will create their maps. The map editor is proprietary so it will only be compatible with Eternity.

The map editor is a little different from what you may be use to. Although tiles are based on a grid like most map editors, the objects themselves are free. In other words, objects can be positioned by pixel or tile. It will only be available to those who wish to participate in this project. It may be released publicly later. It'll be a bit before we start putting everything together, so you'll have plenty of time to go crazy with your imagination.

Update: The map editor is currently being recoded for better functionality, will post an update as soon as it's done.

Anyways, if you have questions regarding this project or want to post your support, post here.

If you wish to help on this project, please message me. Could always use a hand.

Videos:
Spoiler:

Credits:
KamiShi - Coder
Kyledove - Sinnoh Tileset

Last edited:

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Those are really cool battle engines and I just love charmander's move with the flame wheel. It looks really impressive, and very unique.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Wow. <-- That's all I can say. That's a sweet ABS you got going there.

BTW, Tu es franc,ais?

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
Wow that looks like an amazing game, I hope you'll be releasing it for download on Macintosh too so I can play :D (doubt it though)
The only thing I worry about with the Gameplay is that are the pokemon too small and is the stage too big? It looks like battles could be a major hassle if the opponent decides to run away (for PvP matches). Either way I still think this game looks really good, I've been hoping that someone would eventually create a game where you could fight as the pokemon in real time.

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Wow that looks like an amazing game, I hope you'll be releasing it for download on Macintosh too so I can play :D (doubt it though)
The only thing I worry about with the Gameplay is that are the pokemon too small and is the stage too big? It looks like battles could be a major hassle if the opponent decides to run away (for PvP matches). Either way I still think this game looks really good, I've been hoping that someone would eventually create a game where you could fight as the pokemon in real time.
It will be released for Macintosh as well. :)

The game areas will have to be large due to objects (trees, buildings, rocks, etc) will be cluttering up areas. You will be able to use the terrain to your advantage. Since it is an MMO, the maps will have to be large since many players could be on a screen at once with Pokemon battling. However I don't think the maps being large is a bad thing since it gives the feeling of a much bigger world.

That said, there will be limits on how far people will be able to go during battle. For instance we don't want people initiating a battle, then running off to another city and having people stuck. The battle area limit will most likely be the viewing area where the battle was initiated. If we want larger, we will put a faint line where the battle zone ends to let people know not to go past it and give 3-5 seconds warning before terminating the battle.

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
That bit about it being available for Macintosh too just made my day :)
I can't wait for this game and I hope you are able to finish it soon. I'm looking forward to all the various attacks your gonna be doing.
I can't wait to see what your gonna do with Double Team or Substitute, should be interesting :D

CHG-Swampert

Do not make Wigglytuff Laugh
Years
Whoa. That's incredible, mate. Especially how you made the SolarBeam follow your mouse while in action. I don't know Python but I'll be looking forward to playing this.

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
oww waw im using an overworld battle system, but you guys have took that idea to a whole new level here. I seriously predict big things for this project, good look guys

Waudby

I really really like the look of this game, I hope all goes well for you guys. Can't wait to see more of it either. It's such a different take on what many fan games do, I hope the amount of work doesn't put you off.

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
Please release the game as soon as you can mate, I don't care if you only provide us with the first 150 Pokemon, I just really really want to play.
Hell I'd even settle with just being able to only fight the 3 starter pokemon, Pokemon Eternity must be played!

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Thanks everyone for your support. Was worried when I didn't get replies for almost a week, didn't think anyone had an interest. Glad to see that's not the case. :)

Anyways, the map editor is pretty much done, just testing needs to be done to make sure all the bugs are down. There will be an example video in a day or two showing a quick map creation using the different features.

The game is starting to progress now that the map editor is finished. The SQL database connections for login/character creation are done. Here are a few shots of how it will look in the client. (Sorry for the JPG compression.)

Login Screen
screen01.JPG

Introduction
screen04.jpg

Trainer/Avatar Creation
screen03.jpg

Yes you'll have tons of avatar choices, and more character customization will come in the future. Character names will be limited to around 10 alphabetical characters for now (no spaces yet). So no evilnaruto58 character names, although that could work for a login name. :D

Please release the game as soon as you can mate, I don't care if you only provide us with the first 150 Pokemon, I just really really want to play.
Hell I'd even settle with just being able to only fight the 3 starter pokemon, Pokemon Eternity must be played!
There will be 17 Pokemon available for the demo. There will be a MINIMUM of 127 Pokemon in the final game, more may come later. Hope that answers your question.

Last edited:

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
There's some great work and great potential in this game. I really can't wait to play it; it looks very professionally-made.

The original tileset creator is Kyledove, by the way.

Last edited:

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
A tiny problem I have with these game threads is that I always ask like a bajillion questions because I'm so excited and just want to get to know everything about the game.
One thing I'm wondering is how do you intend to translate attacks with low accuracy in the game? How is it gonna affect how we aim and control certain attacks like Zap cannon?

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
A tiny problem I have with these game threads is that I always ask like a bajillion questions because I'm so excited and just want to get to know everything about the game.
One thing I'm wondering is how do you intend to translate attacks with low accuracy in the game? How is it gonna affect how we aim and control certain attacks like Zap cannon?
No problem. A little early to say on those type of skills. I have thought about something like the attack hitting in a random spot around the cursor. I am not sure if that's the best option as skills that hit multiple times could end up with a 'splash' effect. Other ideas playing around with are:
- Player must remain still to use it
- Player must remain still while it casts
- Cast time
- The attack width or size reduced when launched and grows larger as it travels.
- Chance to reduce damage as per the precision. (EX: Zap cannon 50% chance to miss, so it would have a 50% chance to do 50% less damage.)
- Unable to move the attack mid cast.
- The attack can be moved mid cast, but every angle change reduces its effectiveness
- Randomly attacks in an area infront of the Pokemon.

Or maybe combination's of the above, or none. It's possible each skill may differ in the way it handles precision from another skill.

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
Ok where is the game gonna take place in the Pokemon world?

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
What pokemon are planed so far and is there going to be a story mode for offline players?
For the demo? The ones listed in our videos will be (Sentret, Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Pidgey, Pikachu, etc.). As for the rest of them, and the full game, we want it to be a surprise. :P
Ok where is the game gonna take place in the Pokemon world?
It will be an entirely new area. Maps need to be created from scratch and they need to be bigger. I think it's more exciting for an entirely new game, including maps. Our mappers most likely won't bother recreating old towns, but focusing on new ones. Players will be able to submit their own maps to the game if they want. (Provided they meet our expectations of course) So if you really like an old area, you are welcome to try to recreate it.

Last edited:

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
Ok so are there gonna be any obstacles in the Pokemon fights? Like rocks, trees, and all that jazz?

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Ok so are there gonna be any obstacles in the Pokemon fights? Like rocks, trees, and all that jazz?
Of course. It depends on where you will be fighting though. If you challenge someone, you are free to use anything around to your advantage, especially terrain, rocks, trees, and other objects. For Gyms and Arena's, there will certainly be cases where there will be rocks and other objects to use.

Anyways, since I haven't updated in a while and was on vacation, much has been going on. Mostly ingame and network communication. Basically most of the time was searching for the best way to make movement smooth for multiple players so there is no lag, syncing problems, or any weird movement issues. We took a while on this since this is one of the more important components. Precise movement is necessary for travel and vital for battles. As such, it must be as polished and as optimized as possible. It's quite responsive right now, but there is always room for improvement in the future. The other part, game communication, such as chat is pretty much done. Server side collision is being finalized now so the maps can start being made and added. Anyways, since me telling you doesn't do much, here is a video to satisfy some curiosity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back