• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red/Blue remakes on 3DS

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2016
Would anyone else like Red/Blue version remakes on 3DS? 10 years ago FireRed and LeafGreen were released on Game Boy Advance, but with the X & Y engine, I really think that it'd be a worthwhile remake. Just imagining it makes me excited. It'd also be a great way to re-introduce those games to younger fans who missed out on the originals and the remakes and find the games too "old" to enjoy (you know what kids are like with graphics and all that) so another remake 10 years on would be welcome.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
You know, you bring up a good point about letting the newer fans experience Kanto. But honestly, there's a couple of other things I'd rather see at this point in time, those mainly being RSE remakes and the third installment of 6th gen. I got really sick of Kanto after growing up with it. You go to Kanto in four of the six generations, but Hoenn only once. By all means, if they end up making a RBY 3D remake, I'd play it in a heartbeat, there are just other things I'd like to see first if possible.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 20, 2016
A 3ds remake would be fun, I always wanted to play that generation in 3d. I'm sure a lot of people are a bit sick of Kanto though.

Years
A lot old pokemon game are very good, why not they remake it in 3ds xl to get more money? All fans will be happy too. :3

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
Am I tired of Kanto? Perhaps I'm tired of Kanto. That said, a RBY remake would be a quick and easy way for Game Freak to enhance the franchise and make a quick buck. The only Pokemon game we have now on 3DS is XY, so I woukd be fine with another remake.

In any event, I hope they come after the Hoenn remakes.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Considering the addition of Fairy and changes to type chart plus Electric and Grass's new bonuses, its kinda apparent that all the old games need to be remade to update the story.

I'd be interested in another Kanto Remake, but like with Hoenn, its not something I see happening until the ability to transfer is gone or we're so far into the future of the games that there's actually a point.

The whole of Gen 3 needs remaking now, Hoenn and Kanto, but so do gens 4 (HG/SS as well) and 5 thanks to the changes.

Would love to see how they redo Whiteny's Gym since her staple mascot has been ripped from her hands and is no longer a Normal type.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 20, 2016
Considering the addition of Fairy and changes to type chart plus Electric and Grass's new bonuses, its kinda apparent that all the old games need to be remade to update the story.

I'd be interested in another Kanto Remake, but like with Hoenn, its not something I see happening until the ability to transfer is gone or we're so far into the future of the games that there's actually a point.

The whole of Gen 3 needs remaking now, Hoenn and Kanto, but so do gens 4 (HG/SS as well) and 5 thanks to the changes.

Would love to see how they redo Whiteny's Gym since her staple mascot has been ripped from her hands and is no longer a Normal type.

I'm sure they'd let her keep that stupid cow. Never had so many problems with a gym for some reason..

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I'm sure they'd let her keep that stupid cow. Never had so many problems with a gym for some reason..

Despite her ace being Miltank, Whitney's Mascot is Clefairy.

XD

Her Gym has a mosaic Clefairy maze that you have to navigate through, though being a Normal typed Gym, and Clefairy being a pure Fairy Type Pokemon, it has no place on her team anymore.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 20, 2016

XD

Her Gym has a mosaic Clefairy maze that you have to navigate through, though being a Normal typed Gym, and Clefairy being a pure Fairy Type Pokemon, it has no place on her team anymore.

I forgot all about her, wow haha. Only thing I remember about that gym was that cow Rollouting my under leveled team into oblivion.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 8, 2015
Would anyone else like Red/Blue version remakes on 3DS? 10 years ago FireRed and LeafGreen were released on Game Boy Advance, but with the X & Y engine, I really think that it'd be a worthwhile remake. Just imagining it makes me excited. It'd also be a great way to re-introduce those games to younger fans who missed out on the originals and the remakes and find the games too "old" to enjoy (you know what kids are like with graphics and all that) so another remake 10 years on would be welcome.

10 years!? Fascinating, I've never felt so old in my life and I'm only 20 years old...so many good memories, to have been able to live through all the Generations of Pokemon...

Oh, the topic! While I would be excited to see Kanto getting the X/Y engine treatment, I'd prefer it if they got the R/S remakes out of the way first. After all, who wouldn't want to see the beauty of Hoenn's endless water routes!?

εcho.

The silver ninetales
Years
I think it would be neat to see but I'd honestly prefer a RSE 3DS remake/sequel.

I think Hoenn would be totally awesome to play through in 3D.
Also, I think I'm a little tired of Kanto. I feel like I've played through it so many times that they'd have to add a lot of new and cool stuff to make it interesting again.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
We've had Kanto very recently in HeartGold and SoulSilver, so if newer players want to experience this region, they could easily grab either of these two games and play. d: Personally, I'd like to see Hoenn remakes right now more than anything. Been waiting for quite some time; if you ask me, it's long overdue.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
No, I honestly wouldn't like that. Kanto has appeared in four different generations and is really boring in my opinion. However when Pokemon will come to an end I think that would be the best way to do so.

Sirfetch’d

I would because I love those games and I can imagine how fun they would be in 3D. Rock Tunnel would be so amazing to explore haha. That said, I do think that both gen 3 and 4 should get priority on remakes over either of those versions.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
I don think that would be a good idea for now. I mean, R/S and D/P remakes and the 3rd installment of gen 6 come first. Then maybe a gen 1 remakes.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years

Honestly, I'm waiting for Hoenn remakes before the Kanto region receives another remake. I mean, it's been in at least 11 core series games already (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, FireRed, LeafGreen, HeartGold, Soulsilver - things get a bit murky if you decide to count the English Generation 1 games and the Japanese Generation 1 games as distinct entities/installments), including remakes..
And that's not even speaking of all of the Continuity Nods towards Kanto that are present in Pokemon X and Y - primarily, Kalos's Santalune Forest's internal layout resembling the layout of Kanto's Viridan Forest; Kalos's Unknown Dungeon sharing a term with Kanto's Cerulean Cave as well as the property of housing a wild Mewtwo; the presence of a Power Plant in Kalos hearkening back to Kanto's own Power Plant; the presence of the Kanto starter Pokemon of Charmander, Squirtle, and Bulbasaur within Kalos; and the presence of a Kanto Legendary Bird in Kalos.

..I mean, yeah, Kanto is awesome and all, but that's a bit much. @_@

You go to Kanto in four of the six generations, but Hoenn only once. By all means, if they end up making a RBY 3D remake, I'd play it in a heartbeat, there are just other things I'd like to see first if possible.

This.

Although I don't think that the mere introduction of new types or battle system tweaks solely warrant remakes (I mean, if Generation 7 gives us something like the much-clamored-for Light type, are we going to start begging for XY remakes already, just a few months/years down the road? And battle system perks/changes practically happen every generation!), it's nice to integrate new mechanics with certain older region implementations (FireRed/LeafGreen play much differently compared to Red/Blue/Green/Yellow due to the type match-up fixes, the Dark and Steel types, the Special stat split, and Pokemon Abilities).

XD

Hmm...that's quite the quirk; I didn't think about that! XD I still perceive Miltank as Whitney's signature Pokemon, since it's had more reliable appearances compared to Whitney's Clefairy (skimming Whitney's Bulbapedia article, it seems like the only place where Whitney's Clefairy appears without tagging behind Whitney's Miltank is in Pokemon Puzzle Challenge). In Pokemon Stadium 2's Johto Gym Leader Castle, only Whitney's Miltank appears during the 2nd round, with Clefairy/Clefable nowhere to be seen.. Maybe Whitney just didn't bother to change the Gym's layout when she became Goldenrod Gym's Gym Leader? XD Another reason could be that the Gym layout was chosen so that Whitney makes you think as if Clefairy is her ace Pokemon, and then she pulls out a never-before-seen (at the time) Johto Pokemon on you, Miltank! If Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal ever get remade (again), I wonder how her team would be handled.. I personally wouldn't mind if Clefairy was the only non-Normal type Pokemon on Whitney's team, since Cleafiry's presence did "used to" make sense prior to Generation 6, and Pokemon Stadium typically has Gym Leaders deviate from designated types (although sometimes a bit too unreasonably). And several Elite 4 members don't stick to a single type, so I don't see why the occasional exception can't be made for Gym Leaders, too...

I think it would be neat to see but I'd honestly prefer a RSE 3DS remake/sequel.

I think Hoenn would be totally awesome to play through in 3D.
Also, I think I'm a little tired of Kanto. I feel like I've played through it so many times that they'd have to add a lot of new and cool stuff to make it interesting again.

This.

We've had Kanto very recently in HeartGold and SoulSilver, so if newer players want to experience this region, they could easily grab either of these two games and play. d: Personally, I'd like to see Hoenn remakes right now more than anything. Been waiting for quite some time; if you ask me, it's long overdue.

About Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver Versions, speak for yourself! :P A quick perusal of Amazon yields prices of $93.75 and $112.49 for Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, respectively (of course Lugia would get more love), more than even the current cost of Pokemon X and Y for the Nintendo 3DS. And from what I've heard, it's notoriously hard to obtain even used copies of HG/SS, due to their apparent limited production run and copies now being somewhat scarce. In order to keep Kanto relevant while still pushing newer regional content, Game Freak could just have uploaded Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen to the Wii U Virtual Console (since Game Boy Advance games are being released there now, and in my opinion, FR/LG are passable presentations for the Kanto region, even in the modern day)... Similarly, Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal, Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen, and Pokemon HeartGold/Soulsilver could all be uploaded to the Nintendo 3DS eShop/Virtual Console so that modern-day players could still experience Kanto somehow..
-Regarding Nintendo games being more "recent", Nintendo is planning to axe online connectivity for them anyway, so it seems like they're pushing more for 3DS content anyway.
-Apparently, Game Freak is more oriented towards the connectivity/social aspect of the core series Pokemon games (which is apparently none of the core series games, even the pre-Nintendo-DS ones, are on any Virtual Console, be it Wii, Wii U, or 3DS). Given that "connectivity" for the DS Pokemon games will be highly restricted soon (due to no online connectivity), I don't see a valid reason NOT to upload the games to Virtual Console, as people are still willing to play Pokemon even if they can't trade properly.. The only game I could foresee withholding from the Virtual Console (at least temporarily) is Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, if Game Freak and Nintendo want to encourage sales of whatever Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald remakes come about.

Anyway, if Generation 1/Kanto remakes come up again, I personally think they would be more fitting if reserved for another "special" Pokemon anniversary (like say 25th, 50th, or 100th anniversary). Hoenn remakes are the only ones I feel should be made, due to Hoenn still being the only region not displayed in third-dimensional (3D) graphics (and the Hoenn League also got shafted in terms of pre-Generation 6 DS-quality Versus sprites, but that's another ordeal) and being the only region that hasn't been able to take advantage of Generation 4's Physical-Special split and the availability of the Focus Sash (I imagine that Hoenn's Battle Frontier plays quite differently just because of the split, let alone other recent gamepaly-mechanic innovations). Kanto just seems way too ingrained in memory and almost seems to be getting overexposed as a region.. Many of Kanto's staples typically show up in subsequent games anyway (like Gyms and Department Stores and islands), Kanto Pokemon are usually bound to show up in subsequent generations, and Kanto League members can just cameo in another Pokemon World Tournament hosted in another region, if necessary..

I mean, as each generation goes on, we just pile on the number of regions.. At this rate, if we want to repeatedly "update each region to the current standard" in terms of gameplay and graphics, we might as well just make an online Pokemon MMORPG with all the regions to date and call it a day; no point in beautifying and upgrading the regions one/two games at a time. Essentially, I'm fine with the idea of remakes once in a while (FR/LG, HG/SS, and Ruby/Sapphire remakes have all been warranted so far, in my opinion; after that, I hope to not see another core series remake for quite some time), but not when it seems like the older Pokemon regions are hard-pressed to play "technological 'catch-up'" every few years.

Years
I think it would be good. But I think we're all just waiting for a Hoenn remake. To be honest, I, myself, am just waiting for it to happen. We're all demanding for it. And honestly, I'm getting tired of Kanto. Kanto has already been remade, and we can explore Kanto on HG/SS (which is a remake). Then there's R/S/E. The games itself are great, it totally deserves a remake on the 3DS.

Fire-type Junkie. Likes Buizel.

Years
  • Seen May 31, 2020
I've always wondered what they plan to do in the future in terms of remaking remakes. I would like a pattern like this:

GEN VI
X & Y - 2013
RSERemakes/2nd Set of GEN VI games - 2015
The other of the upper games - 2016

--NEW HD NINTENDO HANDHELD SYSTEM-

GEN VII

New Games - 2017
2nd Set of Games - 2019
Diamond & Pearl Remake - 2020
Red & Blue: 25th Anniversary HD Edition - 2021

With generations being extended from an average 4 years to 5 years with '25th Anniversary HD Editions' for every generation

sylar66

Kanto Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2015
I would like to see not a remake as such, but the next stage in the Kanto region, essentially what happened after the events in GSC/HGSS, next in the region based on what happens naturally in the real world.

• Brand new storyline that has the player travelling across Kanto, but a modern day Kanto
  • Gym Leaders/Ellite Four/Trainers have different Pokémon (Pokémon from multiple regions)
  • Pokémon from multiple regions in the wild
  • Perhaps a reversal of GSC/HGSS, start in Kanto, then when the player has beaten the elite four you can go to Johto and Johto too has now changed since the events in GSC/HGSS (I cant imagen may people likeing this idea tho!)
  • Orange Islands anyone?

I'm sure people can think of others examples...

It would be a remake, but also not a remake. (if you get my drift!)

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
I would like to see not a remake as such, but the next stage in the Kanto region, essentially what happened after the events in GSC/HGSS, next in the region based on what happens naturally in the real world.

• Brand new storyline that has the player travelling across Kanto, but a modern day Kanto
  • Gym Leaders/Ellite Four/Trainers have different Pokémon (Pokémon from multiple regions)
  • Pokémon from multiple regions in the wild
  • Perhaps a reversal of GSC/HGSS, start in Kanto, then when the player has beaten the elite four you can go to Johto and Johto too has now changed since the events in GSC/HGSS (I cant imagen may people likeing this idea tho!)
  • Orange Islands anyone?

I'm sure people can think of others examples...

It would be a remake, but also not a remake. (if you get my drift!)

That would be AMAZING!!!!

Alternatively, I've argued before that it would be interesting to explore Kanto before Red's Journey. Perhaps a game based on either the Kanto War or Oak and Agatha's Adventure?

Back