• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS : Edit the starters !

Dr.Razor

Yellow Remaker
Years
Tool needed :

-Crystal Tile 2
-Any hex editor

1) Decompress arm9 binarie:
  1. Open your rom with Crystal Tile 2
  2. Click on the ds logo
    image.png
  3. Right click on FSI.CT/arm9.bin and click Extract
  4. Don't close Crytal Tile 2, you'll need it again

2) Edit Arm9 binarie:
  1. Open arm9.bin with an hex editor
  2. Look for "98 00 00 00 9B 00 00 00 9E 00 00 00"
    image.png

98 is the national pokédex number of the grass starter in base 16 = 9 *16 + 8 = 152
9B is the national pokédex number of the fire starter in base 16 = 9 *16 + B = 155
9E is the national pokédex number of the water starter in base 16 = 9 *16 + E = 158

(use a converter if you don't know how to calculate : http://www.kaagaard.dk/service/convert.htm)

Let's put kanto starters:

1. kan.png
  2. Save the modifications
  3. Go back to Crystal Tile 2
  4. Right click on FSI.CT/arm9.bin and click Compression
  5. Save and close

And you're done =)

image.png
image.png
image.png

To change the names, open *****y'DS Map editor, Text editor and the text you want to change is the text 190

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2018
NICE post, man.
Where is the adress to change the starters that Oak and Steve give?

One more thing...
When I change the starters this way, Why my Rival always choose Chikorita?
How can I change this?

Thank you Very Much for help! xD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 19, 2015
This is working fantasticaly!

however, I do seem to find an issue here: how do I get deoxys+ pokemons in here?

all of them have 3 digit codes (arceus has 1ED for example) and the game goes black when I attempt to select my starter if I modify one of the 8 zeros with one of the digits (Ex: 1E D0 00 00)

I'd really LOVE to have an arceus following me around >.< but this seems like a problem, any ideas???

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
This is working fantasticaly!

however, I do seem to find an issue here: how do I get deoxys+ pokemons in here?

all of them have 3 digit codes (arceus has 1ED for example) and the game goes black when I attempt to select my starter if I modify one of the 8 zeros with one of the digits (Ex: 1E D0 00 00)

I'd really LOVE to have an arceus following me around >.< but this seems like a problem, any ideas???

All DS ROMs store data in a little endian format (Google endianness for more info). So, if you wanted Arceus which has the code 1ED, you would input ED 01 00 00 in the hex editor. ;)

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
Years
You can change HG/SS starters in a more comfortable way by using one of my tool, DS PokeHack Studio. Even if it's in alpha state, it can already change starters ;)

Years
  • Age 48
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
You can change HG/SS starters in a more comfortable way by using one of my tool, DS PokeHack Studio. Even if it's in alpha state, it can already change starters ;)
Good Tool For People Who Can't Hex Edit Like Me :)

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Hi I'm doing what you have written but it wont let me save it.

Bumping because I'm having the same issue and PokeHack Studio doesn't seem to have a 32x version. I did everything in the tutorial but CrystalTile2 won't let me save it.

UPDATE: Though the program acted like it didn't save, the change was saved! It works! That was weird, but it works!

Last edited:
Back