• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use Legendaries to battle the Elite Four?

Triston1zn

GYM LEADER
Years
Hey DUDES!!

Just wondering how many of you, use the legendaries obtained IN GAME, to battle the Elite four?

Legendaries being Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem(black and white) among others?

And how many of you feel, that this is a "cheap" way to get victory and stick with your original team?

sound off below!!

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
No, I don't. I always use my own trained team. Why take out most of the challenge from the Elite 4 by using legendaries to sweep them? What's the point in battling the Elite 4 then? They might as well surrender and give you the Champion title. Not like you even really deserved the title; your legendary sweepers did all the work while your own team just sat in their Pokeballs and didn't benefit from the experience, after all they have done to get you to be able to battle the Elite 4. PLUS you didn't even present your skills worthy of Championship. No way.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Never in my initial runthrough as I usually have a team of six before the legendaries and thus will use that team in order to fight the Elite Four. However, I am planning on using some legendaries in some of the monotype teams in order to get the monotype medals. But by that time the Elite Four is powered up, and it doesn't mean as much as the first time around anyways. Also, a lot of Legendaries aren't actually as strong as people claim they are, so ...

Years
I would never use Legendaries cos why would you want to take the challenge out of facing the Elite Four?

I would always use Pokemon I have trained since I obtained them, like my starter.

Triston1zn

GYM LEADER
Years
Never in my initial runthrough as I usually have a team of six before the legendaries and thus will use that team in order to fight the Elite Four. However, I am planning on using some legendaries in some of the monotype teams in order to get the monotype medals. But by that time the Elite Four is powered up, and it doesn't mean as much as the first time around anyways. Also, a lot of Legendaries aren't actually as strong as people claim they are, so ...

True Binary.....I follow the same route as most members here. I stick to my original team on the first playthrough, but after that....ITS CLOBBERING TIME!!!

I do struggle with certain Elite members and the champion but I find a way to win with my original team. Then I return, on a revenge mission to take out the elite members or champion that gave me a hassle on the first playthrough lol...

Also, as you said, the legendaries aren't quite as strong as they used to be and this is especially true for BLACK and WHITE.
Personally the only Legendary that gave me a real unfair advantage was my DARKRAI equiped with nasty plot and dark pulse....HOLY CRAP did I pawn anything in sight!!

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Well, like BinaryPeaches and Triston1zn here...I'm doing the same. I'd never use legendary Pokemon in my first time against the Champion and the Elite Four, all because I didn't have any. Yup, I didn't use Cobalion, Terrakion and Virizion. I'm saving them so I can RNG abuse them. But once I get my Arceus in, I'm gonna keep beating them up and earn some monotype medals...along with the single-Pokemon medal + the final medal for the group of Champion-beating medals.

Nes-One

Another Person Into Pokemon
Years
I don't use legendaries anymore, I used to use them in like Ruby but that was mainly cause I was lazy to train up a 6th pokemon. In White 2 I only stuck with pokemon that I caught early on in the game.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Until White 2 I didn't use Legends. I used the Musketeer Trio in White 2 because it went along with the storyline.
Also I used Zekrom/Reshiram for the Elite 4 in White and Black because it also mached the storyline.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
I try not to. Although, it happens. Like I sometimes need something to fill up that last space on my team xD in platinum I actually had to use giratina AND still had a free space. In B/W I didn't. B2W2 I am still not at E4, but I have my team planned out and so I have no intention of doing so. I personally hate it because most legends are lvl 50 or so and you don't train them AT ALL when you use them, which makes it seem like you beat the E4 with strangers doing the work. Legend Pokemon you get at 15 or so I would be ok with, but then again I don't really get that many of those. more like none, really.

Triston1zn

GYM LEADER
Years
I try not to. Although, it happens. Like I sometimes need something to fill up that last space on my team xD in platinum I actually had to use giratina AND still had a free space. In B/W I didn't. B2W2 I am still not at E4, but I have my team planned out and so I have no intention of doing so. I personally hate it because most legends are lvl 50 or so and you don't train them AT ALL when you use them, which makes it seem like you beat the E4 with strangers doing the work. Legend Pokemon you get at 15 or so I would be ok with, but then again I don't really get that many of those. more like none, really.

TRUE DAT!!

Although I have to point out that LEGENDARIES obtained come with 0 EV points, which, in the current gen games (black/2, white/2), sometimes allows other EV trained pokemon(ELITE FOUR) to be on par or even stronger than the LEGENDARIES, when they are close in level.

I've played hacks of the original black and white games, where the main changes to the rom involved difficulty and the ability to capture all 649 or so pokemon in one game.....the difficulty, though not extreme, still caused the LEGENDARIES you recieve in game to be on par...and in most cases a little weaker than the ELITE FOUR's EV trained Pokemon.
I really enjoyed this because I feel like they are rewards for our endless grinding and hardwork in the game....and with a little tweaking to the current gen roms, we are able to enjoy using them without cheapening the experience!!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
This thread is a bit too general of a topic, so I'll be moving this over to the Pokemon Gaming Central rather than leaving it here. Had you had ONLY discussed using legendary Pokemon within the Black 2 and White 2 games, which would make it more topic specific, it would be left here.

Anyways, I use legendary Pokemon from time to time. Why? Because I freakin' wanna. And also, ALL Pokemon come with 0 EV points, not just legendary Pokemon. Even then, you can EV train them just as quickly. I use legendaries because sometimes it's fun to wipe out the Elite Four while I watch them scramble for a Full Restore. The whole matter is just really a preference.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I use whichever is strong for me, in Heart Gold, I used both Mewtwo and Lugia against the Elite Four. And right now in Diamond, I'm about to go challenge the Elite four, with Dialga as my only legendary pokemon in the team. I only got Empoleon, Luxray, Machoke, Rapidash and Dialga. The 6th Pokemon sloth is for my HM slave. I didn't really liked any of the pokemon I encountered during my journey. So there's only 5 real members to my team.

Triston1zn

GYM LEADER
Years
This thread is a bit too general of a topic, so I'll be moving this over to the Pokemon Gaming Central rather than leaving it here. Had you had ONLY discussed using legendary Pokemon within the Black 2 and White 2 games, which would make it more topic specific, it would be left here.

Anyways, I use legendary Pokemon from time to time. Why? Because I freakin' wanna. And also, ALL Pokemon come with 0 EV points, not just legendary Pokemon. Even then, you can EV train them just as quickly. I use legendaries because sometimes it's fun to wipe out the Elite Four while I watch them scramble for a Full Restore. The whole matter is just really a preference.

I should have had B2/W2 in my thread title, but I guess this is better as a general thread anyways so thanks.

And I agree completely. It is a matter of preference, I just wanted to know what everyone's preferences are :-)

While it's true that all pokemon start off with 0 EV's, we receive Legendaries at a time when most of our team is already EV trained and it gets annoying to me to have a LEvel 50 pokemon with no EV's, while my level 49 Pikachu might have most of it's Ev's already...but like you said, it's a matter of preference!

CJBlazer

Rogon, the Ninja Pokemon
Years
I use legendaries on only one condition: if the Elite 4 prove too much of a challenge.

The only time I ever used a legendary for just the thrill of it would be in Emerald and I literrally murdered each and every one of them.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I don't mind using lesser legendaries with a BST of 600 or less (basically: those that aren't banned in the Frontier/Subway/PWT), since their stats are equal to normal high-end monsters anyway. But I don't generally bother catching any until the post-game so I won't likely use them on the E4 initially, if I use them at all. I don't think it's cheap; I wouldn't mind facing someone using legendaries, I just wouldn't do it myself since I like things that aren't special little snowflakes.

Incidentally, my first legendary use in a long time is quite recent, and is Cresselia. I've liked it for whatever reason since I knew about it, but haven't been able to acquire one myself until BW2. I got it post-game once I discovered it could fill my Altaria's team support role a lot better.

Sirfetch’d

It really just depends on the game and the pokemon. I am more likely to use the trios like articuno, Raikou, Azelf, etc..I rarely use the main legend though..

Back