• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Now VS Pokemon Then?

Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2016
What are your thoughts on the pokemon franchise? Has it gotten better over the years or worse? Personally, I think the pokemon franchise has gotten worse, and it starts with the pokemon themselves. Many people say that the new pokemon aren't original enough, but I actually have a completely different view. I personally think the pokemon are too original. I know this is not a popular view, but that's what I think. Was growlithe (a dog who breathes fire) original? NO. Did we love him? YES. Was dragonite (a steryotypical dragon) original? NO. Did we love him? YES. They were very simplistic and "cute" looking. Now, is kyrueum (a "mythical" looking dragon with ice powers) creative? YES. Do we like him? NO. He's "too" creative. Too many jagged lines and too complex looking. Do you agree with this?

Second, the story line. I know people want a more complex story line in the games, but isn't that what we got in black and white? The story line wasn't entirely different, but it was definitely more complex than red and blue. Yet, people still don't like it. What do you people want?? I personally think that pokemon should go back to the less complex storyline that got people involved in the first place. The best part about those storylines was that they DIDN'T have legendary pokemon as part of the main plot line. Starting in generation 3, with the exception of the remakes, all of the storylines have revolved around legendary pokemon. Groudon/kyogre in ruby and sapphire, rayquaza in emerald, dialga/palkia and uxie/mesprit/the other pixie pokemon and giranitia in diamond, pearl, and platinum, and then the new dragons in black and white. What happened to the legendaries not needing to be captured or fought or interacted with? Mewtwo, the 3 birds, lugia, ho-oh, and the 3 dogs didn't need any interaction to complete the story line, and were more of an adventure than a chore to have to defend them from the bad team.

Could it be because when we, or at least I, played the games back then, we were more nieve? We were perfectly happy having a level 70 charizard and then a level 6 pidgey and level 7 ratatta. Now we play like we are planning for a competitive battle. We need all the pokemomn around the same level, well balanced types, no duplicate moves of the same types, and an HM slave. Could it e our nietivite that made the older games better?

I am not a nostalgia *** or anything like that. I own both black and white and may go get one of the new ones. I enjoy playing online. I like trading. I like the new graphics. But it just doesn't seem to have the same fun as the older games.

What do you think? Im not looking for someone to tell me I'm right, just looking for some opinions and a discussion

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
I honestly think Pokemon has gotten better over the years. Of course I'm basing this all off the games, idk how the anime sorts out, but over the years the complexity level has really risen. Whether it be with the designs of the Pokemon or the mechanics of the game, everything keeps evolving (pun intended haha). But I do think the more you expand, the more creative you're going to have to get. All the original concepts like Dragonite, are, for the most part, used up, so the designers are going have to be innovative in their concepts. And I'm just fine with that. With the legendaries being implemented into the plot, I think just facing the gyms and Elite 4 would be a rather repetitive process, although still enjoyable. But mixing in a good plot adds diversity to each generation. It all comes down to changing it up in my opinion. Sure we'd all love Pokemon even if it were the same every generation, but I think it's the new innovations that keep us intrigued.

VERGUNDAI

RomHacker, Unity 3D Maker
Years
Pokemon has gotten better in GRAPHICS!
Because now it's all 3dhd and all new events plus the new forms are most interesting.
Back then was ok and had the best games for Nintendo, now it's like BOOM "oh Pokemon red,blue, fire,leaf, ruby, sapp, whats next?" then Black and white( what thats racist?)

Years
  • Seen Jul 10, 2013
Definitely better gameplay and graphics wise, although for some reason i don't really care for the newer pokemon, i prefer to play games within the first 3 gens and im always down for some good rom hacks. I also don't really like the fact that there are so many legendary pokemon now, its kind of ridiculous...

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I think the franchise has better since it stated.The graphics have greatly improved and the gameplay is better than ever.And with newer feature which add to the fun. I think the new Pokemon are just as original as the first generation. I personally find Vanillite cute. I didn't like a lot of Gen 5 Pokemon at first, but now they've grown on me and I have a few favorites.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
I think the franchise has got better throughout the years in terms of gameplay, design of pokemon, story, and features the have provided.

I think when it comes to enjoyment it is a matter of what your perspective is. Personally I enjoy Sinnoh games more then others, but that doesn't mean I don't like what comes along with Unova or do I rate it above any others.

What are your thoughts on the pokemon franchise? Has it gotten better over the years or worse? Personally, I think the pokemon franchise has gotten worse, and it starts with the pokemon themselves. Many people say that the new pokemon aren't original enough, but I actually have a completely different view. I personally think the pokemon are too original. I know this is not a popular view, but that's what I think. Was growlithe (a dog who breathes fire) original? NO. Did we love him? YES. Was dragonite (a steryotypical dragon) original? NO. Did we love him? YES. They were very simplistic and "cute" looking. Now, is kyrueum (a "mythical" looking dragon with ice powers) creative? YES. Do we like him? NO. He's "too" creative. Too many jagged lines and too complex looking. Do you agree with this?
This is always a subjective thing from person to person on the matter of designs. I don't even like designs within the same generations, but that doesn't mean that they were better then or worse now. I like Kyurem so like I said you can't speak for everyone. Kyurem design is supposed to be like that as he is the shell of the original Dragon of the Unova region.

Second, the story line. I know people want a more complex story line in the games, but isn't that what we got in black and white? The story line wasn't entirely different, but it was definitely more complex than red and blue. Yet, people still don't like it. What do you people want?? I personally think that pokemon should go back to the less complex storyline that got people involved in the first place. The best part about those storylines was that they DIDN'T have legendary pokemon as part of the main plot line. Starting in generation 3, with the exception of the remakes, all of the storylines have revolved around legendary pokemon. Groudon/kyogre in ruby and sapphire, rayquaza in emerald, dialga/palkia and uxie/mesprit/the other pixie pokemon and giranitia in diamond, pearl, and platinum, and then the new dragons in black and white. What happened to the legendaries not needing to be captured or fought or interacted with? Mewtwo, the 3 birds, lugia, ho-oh, and the 3 dogs didn't need any interaction to complete the story line, and were more of an adventure than a chore to have to defend them from the bad team.
I think people more dislike the linearness of the path you have to take rather than the story of N & Plasma. I don't really see how a less complex storyline would people into it, if anything I'd think people would actually appreciate that the franchise is actually putting effort into a storyline instead of saying go catch em all, beat the bad team cause they steal and abuse pokemon, beat gym leaders, beat the Elite 4 & Champ, Done now your the best. With Legendaries they are important to their region and the syndicates that you faced based their plans around harnessing their powers for their evil deeds. And even when this started in Gen III it seems bland, I mean expanding the Land or Sea? Yeah...

Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2016
These are some good points. As I said, I wasn't trying to start an argument, just trying to create a discussion. I agree that the graphics have improved, but I think it may have been the "gross" graphics that got us interested. I mean, weren't the RBY graphics cutting edge for that time?

Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2013
It's gone way too Digimon IMO, I mostly play it for the mechanics now, don't really care about the Pokémon themselves tbh.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2014
There are some aspects that are good then and some that are good now. For instance, back then, all fire, ice, electric, psychic, dark, grass, water, bug, and dragon attacks were considered special attacks, so to have Alakazam to know Fire Punch, Ice Punch, or Thunderpunch was pretty ideal, whereas today those attacks would barely do anything since the Diamond/Pearl series implemented the idea of physical and special attacks would depend on the move itself and not the type, thus those three moves would do little damage due to Alakazam's weak physical strength; which also brings me to good side of it. For instance, Ghost type attacks were considered to be physical attacks, which was retarded but they had to find a balance somewhere, and by that I mean there were 9 special attack types already so they threw ghost in with the physical attack types to make it 8 total. But anyway, Gengar is also a Pokemon with high special attack and low attack, so in the second and third gens, its Shadow Ball attack really didn't do much as one would have hoped, but now with Shadow ball being labeled as a special attack, Gengar can finally take charge with its speed and special attack power, knocking out many enemies with Shadow Ball.

Years
I wouldn't say that Pokemon has gotten either better or worse from when it started, but really it's just been evolving with the times. They obviously couldn't stay with the same graphics, the exact same gameplay or even the same Pokemon for the games, because no one would bother buying the new versions. Same with the anime. No one would watch anymore if there hadn't been updates to the locations, Pokemon and even the cast, since the show would just get stale.

Even looking at the designs of Pokemon, you realise that Digital art was basically non-existant when the first Pokemon were created in the mid-90's, so you see a lot of simpler designs like Ditto and Voltorb. When you look at some of the Gen V Pokemon, there are a lot more intricate details on Pokemon, because they can be accurately portrayed in the current games.

I can't say as I always enjoy some of the newer aspects of the game and some of the new Pokemon, but looking back there are some things that I'm surprised I did like and wanted to be left untouched. I think if you are a true fan of the series as a whole, you've got to accept some of the inevitable changes, and grow along with the series as it does.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I think its gotten better, not because of the pokemon or storylines, but there is more after the league activities. I do have to say Gen 5 is my favorite storyline, but right now Im happy that there is more in-game stuff one can do. Entralink, Subway, PWT. All great additions. Hope they keep that for Gen 6.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
Well, aside from the storyline, cuz every game storyline is similiar. The bad guy tryin' to use the mascot Pokemon on the boxcover to do something to rule or change the world. Except for Red/Blue version, I don't think any legendary Pokemon was involved in that story.

the game itself have come alone way. the physical/special split thing that happened 4th gen. the introduction of different ways of battling which was first seen in 3rd gen. The special abilities; again first introduced in 3rd gen.

More attacks, and more Pokemon on every new gen. Now we're able to trade and battle against people who live across da world.

Even da music gotten better; more or less, on each gen. Not to mention the increase of the graphic on it each game. Just look like how much different Platinum was the D/P and HG/SS blew Platinum outta the water. And those were all same gen games.

Back