• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Online Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2005
I was just wondering what program everyone uses to make online pokemon games?Also if you are using rmxp can you give script resources?Thanks

saul

"My goodness, that's odd."
Years
I don't think you can make Online Games with rmxp O.o

I use GameMaker, but it costs money to do it. Probably the most used is pure coding (C++)

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
Years
you can make it with both Sphere and RPG Maker XP, although I don't have the code for RMXP, the Sphere one comes with the program. Although for online, the best would be pure code, in C++, VB or Java

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
Yeah the people are using VB and Java. Java is the best. If RMXP uses the ruby script interpreter I might be able to make an online script.

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
Years
Ok heres how you make a online rpg i will list this in steps
Lern Visual Basic (doesnt take long (month or so))
Lern how to use the WINSOCK API (this is for data transmission)
Lern how to use BITBLT and TRANSPARENT BLT
Create a basic TILE Map editor
Create a basic "ENGINE" to load maps and tilesets
then after you have player drawing up use winsock to send a "packet"(data) to your server program then have the server interpret that paket and say

If IncomingPacket = "PlayerMovement" then
Beam this packet to everyone in the game
End if

Something like that just says if player 1 moves show everyone in the game that player 1 has moved

Simple as that all up it will take you about 3 months to lern all the basics of winsock bitblt and vb

and to give you a little helping hand i have made an opensoruce Visual Basic pokemon game that demonstraites many functions needed to use in a game such as maploading 8 directional movement Scrolling and most of the basics
link here : http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1600025#post1600025

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
Years
Technically Absol your wrong C++ is not the best option for a 2D Rpg my reasoning is wow so if u did it in c++ you willget 10 fps extra (big deal) for a guy who needs the script writen in rgss for him for online i think VB would be his best option as its much easyer than c++ and provides an easy IDE

(just make sure your using Vb 6 and not Vb.net 2005 as vb.net is oop and not a "R.A.D" development tool in other words not good for games)

Sion

Somber Soul
Years
And here I thought Ryan gave up on the whole programming thing... Hmph, I knew it wouldnt be long before you released another slew of projects. ^_^

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
rm2kdev said:
Technically Absol your wrong C++ is not the best option for a 2D Rpg my reasoning is wow so if u did it in c++ you willget 10 fps extra (big deal) for a guy who needs the script writen in rgss for him for online i think VB would be his best option as its much easyer than c++ and provides an easy IDE

(just make sure your using Vb 6 and not Vb.net 2005 as vb.net is oop and not a "R.A.D" development tool in other words not good for games)
If you would've read in your game thread I said: It depends what you are using: SDL, DirectDraw, etc.

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
Years
Lol funny man, funny man lol (to be honest im still working on all my other projects aswell i am only working on these mini systems at the moment because im waiting for my new Visual Basic enterprise edition to come in the mail)

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
Years
its BitBlt API -,- thats like the open gl in visual basic (but its not officially opengl its just the other drawing system to direct x)

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
Years
Libsdl is great if your making it in c++, bitblt is the fastest API you will get to direct x in vb

Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2005
rm2kdev said:
Ok heres how you make a online rpg i will list this in steps
Lern Visual Basic (doesnt take long (month or so))
Lern how to use the WINSOCK API (this is for data transmission)
Lern how to use BITBLT and TRANSPARENT BLT
Create a basic TILE Map editor
Create a basic "ENGINE" to load maps and tilesets
then after you have player drawing up use winsock to send a "packet"(data) to your server program then have the server interpret that paket and say

If IncomingPacket = "PlayerMovement" then
Beam this packet to everyone in the game
End if

Something like that just says if player 1 moves show everyone in the game that player 1 has moved

Simple as that all up it will take you about 3 months to lern all the basics of winsock bitblt and vb

and to give you a little helping hand i have made an opensoruce Visual Basic pokemon game that demonstraites many functions needed to use in a game such as maploading 8 directional movement Scrolling and most of the basics
link here : http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1600025#post1600025
One word... OMG I know how to use the basics of visual basic and i know winsocket fairly well and i might use some of the code from your game but i will give credit.

rm2kdev

Pokemon XP Developer
Years
Well then JT i hope to see a new game emerging from the shadows :) just rember the server controlls everything
Client presses left ---- Sends I PRESSED LEFT to the server
Server sees CLIENT PRESSED LEFT and sends that your player pressed left
All connectd clients see You pressed left and moves your player 1 space left :)

its a very simple concept if you just rember to make everything handled in the server program

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
With MMORPGs you can also make sure they don't hack the game.

tdata

Pokemon GX
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2009
With RMXP, all you really need is GA3's Socket Script and server script... that is all...

Blizzy

me = Scripter.new("Noob")
Years
TheAbsol said:
With MMORPGs you can also make sure they don't hack the game.
if you encrypt your game data,
how would they hack?

you can press [F9] while playing (= debug menu).
but that can be removed inside the script editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back