• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Is It worth buying the game now?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 2, 2018
Do you guys think is it worth it to buy a 3ds and ultra sun/moon today. I am really in to competitive pokemon but i am kinda bored playing from a website. I am afraid the 3ds will be old when the new pokemon game comes to the switch. I also love pokemon as a franchise and I almost played all of the games before. I never had the chance to enjoy wifi battles.

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
If you plan on getting more games for it in the future than I think it would be a good purchase. Nintendo plans on releasing 3DS software through "2019 and beyond" and it already has an extensive library of games including an assortment of Pok?mon games. (Consider getting a "New 3DS" since this stronger version of the 3DS has a number of games that can't be played on the regular version.)

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
Since you'll only be playing Pokemon then I suggest to just get a normal 3DS, or a second hand 2DS XL or New 3DS in any cases, since we're already confirmed on moving on to Switch.

The older 3DS will just be slower than the New 3DS when it comes to Pokemon games but I don't see the need to get a New 3DS now (If you're only considering playing Pokemon).

Years
I'd recommend you to purchase it. Pokemon Switch ain't coming out until way later into 2019, maybe november. Also who knows, maybe some pokemon can only be transferred from 7th gen or maybe certain pokemon with TM moves exclusive to 7th gen can be worth a goldmine like for e.gs Power-up punch kangaskhan or a 3rd gen wish chansey. Ya know, pokemon games evolve over time so don't make the same mistake i made of not buying HG/SS when it was released only to regret it cuz bank ball pokemon is a big thing. >.<

Years
I think you should. While the 3DS is kinda getting overshadowed by the Switch, it's still got an expansive library of games. Not just Pokemon, but also great games from Nintendo's other major franchises.

Years
I don't see why not.

The 3DS is still a very viable gaming platform as there are still quite a few who don't have the funds to purchase the Switch yet. Go for it! I think you'll probably enjoy it, especially if you haven't played SM yet.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
Not to mention the question of PokeBank compatibility for the Switch has still yet to be answered, so you could hinge on this as well. Another way put, think of this as a long-term project for the next generation of games.

Though, if you want to take advantage of the Poke Pelago's slow grind via Isle Evelup, you may want to unlock the Poke Pelago ASAP & save your Poke Beans until then (unlocked after pretty much completing the second island). Yes, it may take longer, but it will save on active grinding.

Also, DS games are compatible on 3DS & 2DS systems, expanding your options further.

Back