• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon game making advice

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 12, 2022
Hey guys, I have something a bit different to ask this time. Lately, I haven't really been able to find time to do this much, I really feel like the only thing I've "learned" is just common event stuff and getting used to the tiles - and well, I just really like the concept for the game, I do feel like it could turn into something fun and crazy - but despite all the really cool stuff you guys put together to make this thing, I still feel really intimidated by doing things.

Mainly stuff like planning out a world, coming together with a story, and trying to make animations for the attacks which I'm definitely going to need.

And something else is that I've been using the trial version of RPG Maker (since I had just bought ACE - right before learning about this stuff) and I guess I'm kind of on the fence if I should buy XP just for a game that might not even work out (despite really wanting it too).

Guess what I'm really asking from all this is that do you guys have any advice how to make this whole game making process feel possible?

Kyepha

~K Y E P H A~
Years
Use templates and learn from the structure they use too, I'd also suggest gathering a team to help you work on the project!

Years
If you are working alone and this is your first project, try to keep it simple and short. Include the best ideas you have and try to complete it. Then you can see where you go from there, start a new Pokemon game, making a game that is not Pokemon related, or just extending your project.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Mar 31, 2018
Hi guys I am a 13 year old boy and I am developing a pokemon game named PokemonGen which is gonna be the first 3D pokemon game for PC. The Trailer is out. so if you give it a view that will be great. Link --->
by searching on youtube "pokemon gen game trailer "

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 16, 2024
I feel like something that kills a lot of hacks is trying to use custom tiles.

Tiles are so time-consuming and don't progress a hack to completion the way scripts and mapping do.

I bet if people just used the default tiles, we would see a lot more hacks completed.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 11, 2020
I'm working on my first game as well, and am new to game design. It seems overwhelming at times as I'm the only one working on it (and will probably keep it this way). But above all, I just love telling stories. I may not be experienced in making games, but I know a crap ton about crafting stories.

Fan games are essentially that: telling a story through a digital interactive medium. My advice as a storyteller and a filmmaker is this: nail your characters and your story before you even start with any of the actual game coding/scripting/ mappings. You should make the space fit the story, NOT the story fit the space.

A fully realized story makes all of the other steps much easier and more fluid. It makes it less intimidating too because you know exactly what you need to do and all of the floundering nervousness gets eliminated. Hell, I've spent months in pre-production on a script before even touching a camera because if you get to set and you don't have a plan and understanding of your endgame, your just wasting the studio's money. I am coming at this from a filmmaking perspective though, so not everything is applicable, but for the most part, it is. It's what made me feel not worried at all about my own game development despite the fact that I only learned how to code this year.

But if you need someone to bounce ideas off of or just talk things through to calm your nerves, I'm always down to lend an ear.

Yotes

GameDev
Years
Game design can be super overwhelming and a single project can eat up years of your life at a time. (speaking from experience here).

Keep it small til you're super comfortable with making games from start to finish. With each new project experiment with new mechanics and ideas you can carry over to a future project.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I think a lot of people have the right idea about starting out. Generally speaking, people tend to lose motivation to continue making their game when they encounter strange bugs or large hurdles which they don't know how to overcome.

My suggestion for new ROM hackers is to avoid learning ASM and C unless you are interested in programming/have programmed before. A lot of these low level programming concepts aren't easy to understand and learning takes effort. Even after you've got the basics down, it won't yield much results wise until you become pretty proficient at it.

So stick to mapping, scripting, patches and misc stuff until you've gotten a general idea of the process. From there you can make a decent game, and if you are interested in going further down the rabbit hole, you can.

Back