• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Go] Protagonists

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
x9bfijd6cw011.jpg

So what are your thoughts on the protagonists for these upcoming games? Are you a fan of these designs or no? Someone mentioned their supposed to be based off the GO protagonists only younger. Although all I see from the female protag is a much younger Touko (aka Hilda), lol.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
They're probably Red's kids, though, if he was to have kids, the empty lot in Vermilion City would have to be built by now, unless the old man got lazy af or died.

On to the designs, the male protagonist has that weird look that the male protagonists have had since Black 2 and White 2 (barring X and Y). The female looks like a younger version of Hilda as people have stated.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
Okay I just need to ask this question; how many of you actually think this is a game worth playing if you are a true fan? I mean I like the way it looks and stuff, but I don't know if its worth paying like how many ever dollarsit costs and I definitely am not going ot buy a switch because of this. It just seems to be targetting a demographic which probably doesn't own a switch, and it seems too simple. All in all, a glorified Pokemon Go DLC pack. The entire ordeal seems like a gimmick to me. This is just my opinion, and just out of curiosity, I was wondering how many of you guys agree with me on this one? (P.S does anyone else think Gamefreak is dumbing the games down extremely? And this is coming from a guy who didn't know how to breed for parents I.V's until a couple of years ago)

Years
Okay I just need to ask this question; how many of you actually think this is a game worth playing if you are a true fan? I mean I like the way it looks and stuff, but I don't know if its worth paying like how many ever dollarsit costs and I definitely am not going ot buy a switch because of this. It just seems to be targetting a demographic which probably doesn't own a switch, and it seems too simple. All in all, a glorified Pokemon Go DLC pack. The entire ordeal seems like a gimmick to me. This is just my opinion, and just out of curiosity, I was wondering how many of you guys agree with me on this one? (P.S does anyone else think Gamefreak is dumbing the games down extremely? And this is coming from a guy who didn't know how to breed for parents I.V's until a couple of years ago)

I am a die hard fan and shiny hunt in the games just so you know my background on the series a bit. I absolutely think these games will be worth playing. They seem like fun and a good entry into the series. Pokemon spin offs are good too so what makes this game any different. I see it as part spin off part main series so it's a good mix. Who cares if it's not fully like the main series games, it's not trying to be and we're getting Gen 8 in 2019. People have to get over their entitlement for getting what they expect/want. These games should still be fun and if it's not what "true fans" wanted then they can play an older Gen while waiting for 8.

Protagonists look good. I don't like the male but I haven't liked the males since Gen 5 so it's whatever. The female looks poppin' though. Baby Hilda, definitely gonna be playing as her for the entirety of my time with these games. She's adorable.

Last edited:
Years
I actually like the look of these protagonists, although they do look a bit basic imo, that's perfectly fine for a Kanto remake. Some of the leaks a while ago said we would encounter Red and Blue in the story somewhere, whether that's true or not we'll have to see, but would be interesting to see these new protagonists interact with the original ones!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
These are probably some of the best designed protags. Neither of them look like the creator favored one over the other (*Lucas*) and they both look appealing. I honestly might choose to be a boy for the first time in years.

I haven't seen a decently designed protag for a guy since Emerald. They seem to always get the short end of the stick ;-;

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
The protagonists seem fine to me. They're obviously erring on the side of fairly young kids again, but I'm not surprised, given the demographic they're targeting. I like the relative simplicity of the designs, and while I hope there's some customization available (which is in Go, so it seems reasonable), I would be ok using these base designs as-is. I've disliked the designs for the past couple of generations, so if anything, I would say it's an improvement.

Something about the male protagonist's waist looks weird to me, though. I'm fine with the design overall, it just keeps catching my eye for some reason.

I can't decide how to feel about this. I'm a fan, and I think I'll play the games (I would end up being curious about them if I skipped, and I do like Kanto, even if the mechanics seem dumbed down), but I already own a Switch, so there isn't much of a barrier to entry for me. I suspect the nostalgia trip will be fun, but I'll ultimately come away dissatisfied with the experience, and I doubt I'll get as much use out of them as I do out of most of my other Pokemon games. They do seem a lot simpler, and I worry that the mechanics will see boring and overly simplified. I've felt a little burnt out on Pokemon all generation (I've mostly played Gold again rather than S/M, and USUM are still in shrink-wrap), and these aren't really helping rekindle the Pokemon spark, unfortunately. That said, I've enjoyed a bunch of spinoffs, so we'll see how it goes. I'll probably feel better about the entire situation once I see how the 2019 games turn out, and hopefully see a return to form (with less tutorializing or hand-holding than in recent entries).

It does seem like a gimmicky idea, and I think that's a lot of the point. It's designed to appeal to Go players and young kids. Some of the interviews seem to be billing it as a way for adults who played Pokemon as kids to connect with their own children, and as a childless adult who still likes the main series, that aspect doesn't do much for me. (Do most young kids own smartphones to play Go these days? I didn't own a smartphone until college...) I can't figure out whether the games are going to tap into a huge market and sell wonderfully, or if they'll suffer because many of the people who played Go did so because it was (a) free and (b) on a device they already owned and kept with them all the time.

So I guess at the end of the day, I think it's worth playing these games because they're part of Pokemon's history, and as a fan, I want the full Pokemon experience, but no, I don't think they'll be satisfying from a competitive or mechanistically deep point of view. Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong about the simplicity, and there will be more to the games than meets the eye in the first trailer. But so far, I see them more as an interactive walk down memory lane (re-exploring Kanto without challenge) than as a normal Pokemon experience, but as a nostalgia addict, I'm hoping that aspect will be enough to make them worth playing.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
Years
I understand they're trying to make them look like actual 10 year olds for once, but I'd still rather they just state you become a pokemon trainer at the age of 16 or 18, to justify why every single other protagonist hasn't looked like these two.

Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2018
I really like the protagonists' new designs. In my opinion, they look like quintessential Pokémon Trainers: young, cute, and ready for traveling and adventure. I think they really fit their roles well with Pokémon going back to its roots. Both clearly take inspiration from Red.

Years
They look cute, but not memorable. Their design is plain and simple, which is nice, but I feel like I'll forget them right after I post this and will have to find an image of them to once again have them in my mind. The boy isn't Calem after 3 games and girl don't have some crazy hat that makes no sense, so I'm okay with playing as either of them. Given that there probably won't be any customization I think GF did good work on them.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I want to play as an older protagonist. These designs are cute but I want to play as a teenager or young adult. I just feel that would make the game a bit more interesting, especially since we're visiting Kanto again for the 800th time.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Indifferent on the playable characters as I?d assume you?d be able to customize them to look however you want(hence their relative generic appearance). As they are though, I see a baby Hilda(Gen V) and the Male is honestly a blank pallete they?ve had since Gen V(uninspiring and garbage).

What?s more troubling though is the game mechanics. Unless they pull a major 180 or change things up, these character designs will be the least of your worries.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I'd prefer playing older protagonists and not chibi little kids, Pokemon is also 20 years old and Kanto has been milked for all its nostalgia so why not add some older protagonists? The GO fad had people of all ages playing too. I guess they really want 8 year old japanese boys to play this game.

Yotes

GameDev
Years
Cute as HECK I love 'em. I've always liked the more Chibi style of the original manga. (Gen 1 series)

Last edited:

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Love their designs. The female protagonist actually looks slightly better in-game imo, so I'll choose her despite being a guy lmao.

Leaving aside all of the other complaints and issues I have with the game, the game has its art style nailed. Love it.

Years
It's apparently been revealed the protagonists' promotional names are Chase (for the boy) and Elaine (for the girl). I'm not exactly sure what the theme is with these names, since most Pokemon game protagonists' names tend to follow a theme.

But that said, these are probably the youngest protagonists in a main series game to date. They definitely look younger than 10 to me.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I like them, I've always been a fan of simple and classic designs when it comes to this type of game. Much prefer them to some of the overly-dressed and bizarrely designed female protagonists we've had in the past.

Back