• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen 1st Generation Rumors

Years
Back in the early days of Pokemon Red/Blue, a lot of information and rumors ran rampant regarding the games. Internet access hadn't spread too much yet, and a lot of the information on thee could've been fake as well. There were some majorly believed myths, such as Pikablu or the "Mew under the truck" trick. There were even some weird rumors floating around, such as the existence of Pokegods. (Click here to know more about it.)

What are some rumors you've heard about the games? Did you ever end up believing or attempting to do some of these?

I remember seeing an odd rumor online saying there was a "mist stone" hiding near Mewtwo to evolve. Gullible 9 year old me spent a good while looking for a mist stone to evolve my Mewtwo. I also attempted to find a Togepi with a sketchy Youtube video I had seen. {XD}

Last edited:

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
Hm, I was 6 when they came out so as you'd expect, I believed everything I heard. This was not a common rumor at all, but my friend once tricked me into believing that there was a very, very VERY low chance of finding a random starter in viridian forest. I literally spent 7 hours on a sunday looking for one... When I got to school and told her I didn't find one, she told me she was lying. I didn't talk to her for a week. Lol

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 3, 2018
I once heard about a myth called Rainbow Forest, in which you could catch legendaries etc. I usually don't believe such things, but it's fun to discus such stuff, especially when it has not been proven false yet.

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
Years
never heard any gen 1 rumors on the internet since i did not get steady acces to internet until gen 3 but among my friends rumors about getting mew if you left magikarp in day care spread , never tried it even

Years
Hm, I was 6 when they came out so as you'd expect, I believed everything I heard. This was not a common rumor at all, but my friend once tricked me into believing that there was a very, very VERY low chance of finding a random starter in viridian forest. I literally spent 7 hours on a sunday looking for one... When I got to school and told her I didn't find one, she told me she was lying. I didn't talk to her for a week. Lol

I remember having something similar like that happen to me. I had chosen Charmander for my playthough, so I looked up how to obtain the other starters. (I really wanted a Squirtle at the time.) I found this post on some forums that claimed that there was a low chance of finding a Squirtle in the sea routes surrounding the Seafoam Islands. I spent a good 1-2 hours looking for one until I gave up, and left with no Squirtle lol.

Guest123_x1

When I was first playing Generation I, but before I got Internet access at home, I didn't hear too much in the realm of rumors, other than from gaming magazines (such as Pojo's Unofficial Pokémon) where some of those rumors were mentioned and subsequently debunked.
Once I got Internet at home (2002), I started looking up a lot of Pokémon-related stuff, and found out about a lot of those rumors that were widespread back around 1998-2000 that I somehow managed to miss. I laughed my rear off at many of those rumors, especially about the "Mist Stone", "Lickitung evolves into Luigi", Paras (or Parasect) evolving into "Parasite", and "I'll give you FLARETH if you go away".
Most of these rumors that I found out about (including the ones I just mentioned) were about the so-called "PokéGods" that were debunked by the aforementioned magazine and other venues.

Last edited:

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 4, 2018
It's not really a rumor, but my older sister told me that if you looked at the link cable during a trade, you can see the pokemon going through it...She was lying...>:(...

Also, a thousand different ways to find Mew...Togepi and "Pikablu" (which ended up being Marill, for those who didn't know) were in some copies of the game...

Many rumors in relations to the anime and Yellow...

Speaking of Yellow, "Yellow is going to have all 151 Pokemon in-game"...

Venustoise and a few other show-exclusive things were also rumored...

Note, a lot of these were rumors I heard word-of-mouth, not on the internet...

Tak

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 20, 2017
I remember most of the ones posted above. Also, kids at school liked to claim there was an evolution for Charizard. They called it 'Charcoal.'
Crazy how we now have that, albeit with a different name. Two of them, at that.

Years
Back in old days, when i was a 6 old child, one rumor that was highly spred was that you can access johto in red,green and yellow. I though believe it actually, so i decided to try it out one day. I checked every whery but there was no way lol and i ended in kanto( my gosh) but i did actually find a pokemon with pokedex entry about that really.

Years
I read on the internet, hold down then B=instant catch, no fail.
I don't know if I remember this right, but I tried it on Articuno and it worked. But in recent years, it didn't work. Maybe i dreamed about that. I really don't know.
The usual rumors too. Pikablu mainly but I forgot the details.

Guest123_x1

I read on the internet, hold down then B=instant catch, no fail.
I don't know if I remember this right, but I tried it on Articuno and it worked. But in recent years, it didn't work. Maybe i dreamed about that. I really don't know.
Ah yes, the infamous "hold down B to improve catch rate" malarkey. I, too, got into the habit of always holding down B when catching Pokémon back when I had Generations I and II in their Game Boy cartridge forms. I didn't notice any improvement in catch rate, but even today, I have occasionally held down or repeatedly pressed B when catching Pokémon on the 3DS Virtual Console versions of the Game Boy-era games, but solely out of habit since I've known for years that this "trick" does absolutely nothing.

withheld

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
Somewhere during 2000-2001, in a video games magazine in
my country, one said that, if you catch all pokemon without
doing over 20 trades, after you're given the diploma, a
spaceship will land outside of Cerulean and Mew will come
out of it. After you catch it, you can go to Pallet Town to
fight Prof Oak. What convinced me to try this code is that,
in the following volume, where many readers complained,
the magazine answered: ''Our editor tried this code and
everything worked''.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 17, 2021
Its funny, in school we never heard of "hold down b", but instead "quickly tap b" so we looked a lot more stupid than most other kids hahaha

Back