• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Same Level Addict

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
One thing I know a lot of people tend to do in Pokémon games if make sure all their Pokémon in their party are on the same level at certain points in the game. Whether it is after every gym, city or whatever. So do you do this? What intervals do you use? If you don't, do you think it's weird?

Discuss!

Years
No lol. I wouldn't be patient enough to do that. At the beginning I usually only have a starter, a bird Pokemon and a favo Pokemon you can get at the beginning on high levels. The rest are just for capturing other low levels. Later on the game, difference can get up to 20 levels so yeah. And no, I dont think it's weird.
For instance, I tend to have all male Pokemons ( except the ones like Clefairy etc), idk why, it's a habit lol

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
Well that's what I don't like about some pokemon fans, getting addicted to pokemon is WAY off.
Pokemon and all other games in the world were made to have fun, not to be serious about it.
I'm not saying training your Pokemon is bad, it's just that you shouldn't get addicted.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Yeah, I generally do this, and not just for a team, since I don't use the same team all the way through the game. I work out of a pool of pokemon and constantly rearrange. By late in the game, I might have 30 or 40 pokemon in that pool, and that many more that are on the second string and maybe going to get bumped up.

Before I do anything notable - generally either challenging a gym (or the E4) or going through a cave or such - I'll level everything I'm considering taking with me until they're all more or less the same level. It doesn't have to be exact, but it has to be close, because what I want to find out is which competing ones are better in which ways - who's faster or bulkier or stronger or whatever - and the only reasonable way to compare them is if they're at pretty much the same level. Plus, investing that much time into them gives me a much better idea of how they each perform.

For level, I pretty much just go along with the game. GF has gotten pretty good about consistent level curves, and since I rearrange my team to suit whatever I'm doing, I usually have type advantage, so I generally just level everyone important up to whatever the current highest level among them is, which is usually about the same level as what I'm currently fighting and a few levels lower than what's coming up, which is exactly where I want it. That gives me the challenge I want.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Yeah, I'm really bad at this. Every time I challenge a gym, even if I'm only using one or two of my team at a time, I'll make sure that each and every member of my team is at the same level as those who will be used in the gym. It has its advantages, in that it means that going forward my team is evenly balanced to deal with future trainers. However, it's an absolutely drag to do, especially if there's one critter that's just so much weaker than the rest. But my OCD in this area is reeeeeeeeally strong, for some reason, and I can't see it changing any time soon.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
No. And yes, I do find it strange that most players would do something so idiosyncratic.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I try to keep them at the same levels so I don't end up relying too much on one 'mon just being a powerhouse. And that way I have a wide range of available moves and strategies to use and can take major advantage of type matchups and phys/spec differences. Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would not try to keep their 'mon within like five levels of each other. It's kind of just... a simple, good strategy.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Enjoyed reading every one's different opinion.

I don't do that - Level addict thing

Usually I have one "Leader" Pokemon who is about 8 to 10 levels higher than all others (most of the time the leader Pokemon is my favorite of the region - even if its the least favorite compare to many other Pokemon fans), then I have my back up to the leader, about 1 to 3 levels lowered than the leader, and the rest of the Pokemon about similar levels, around the same level as the gym leader I'm about to face, maybe 1 or 2 levels under or over the gym leader.

some items that help with levels:
My team leader usually has the Lucky Egg the longest.
The second in command usually has the Amulet Coin.
The rest of the Pokemon usually have an item that helps that certain Pokemon.
The Pokemon trailing behind I'll give it the Exp Share until it at least catches up to the rest.

When training my other Pokemon, I'll let them borrow the Lucky Egg and the leader will temporarily borrow the Exp Share, make him stronger even if not battling.

Last edited:
Years
I do this; whenever a Pokémon levels up, I'll put a different one out front. I tend to level them up in the following order:

1. Pokémon that are close to evolving
2. Pokémon that are weak against the next gym
3. Pokémon that are strong against the next gym

This way everything evolves as soon as possible and I can solo a gym with one Pokémon without it becoming overleveled compared to the rest of the team.

Kitori

[FONT=impact][COLOR=#000000][I][b] V A L K Y R I E
Years
I'm not OCD about it or anything... but I do try to rotate my pokemon so they stay around the same level. I usually only play through the story with 3 pokemon, though, so it usually isn't something I have to go out of my way to do. If one pokemon starts to get a little higher than the others, I'll switch it out for one of the others for a while.

Stormborn

Indecisive
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Yeah I'm guilty of this, although usually I end up having half my team at say 40 then half my team at 38.

Years
Sometimes I am a bit picky with my team, they often all have to be around the same level before I proceed to a certain area. I even stick a Lucky Egg on one team member if it is falling behind.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
Yes, I absolutely have to do this. Especially for every gym. I don't have to have them at the same level of the gym leader's Pokemon, but they have to be close and all at the same level. And I always have to have super-effective Pokemon against a gym, not that that's related to this thread.

Years
I'm not one that needs to make sure that every Pokemon in my party is the exact same level, but I try to make sure that they're always within a 2-3 level gap. Not really because I care about what they're actual levels are, but if my Pokemon were to compete against each other, I wouldn't want one to be completely outmatching the other (minus weaknesses).

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
It's not so much that I want all my pokemon to be the same level....I just don't like to see a pokemon slip behind.

If they slip behind it gets harder and harder to justify sending them into battle against tougher enemies. Plus you never know when you might end up relying on them.

I would start feeling a bit uncomfortable if a pokemon on my team was 4 levels (or more) above the rest of my team.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
I wonder why some of the comments have such a negative ring to them.

I don't consider it odd for all Pokémon to be in the same level range, it means that a team is balanced and prepared to take the challenge without favouring any.
Right now, in Black 2, all my Pokémon are level 51-52 (Right before Kyurem's "awakening"), which is just a nice coincidence of rotating Pokémon while training. This way I can focus on Type Advantage more than any other special stat, which is easier.
I don't have goals set for levels at certain intervals. Just this once when I started using Espeon, it was quite behind the others (about 13 levels). I trained it until it caught up.
So yeah, Equal Levels is currently my training schedule, but I'm not really OCD about it.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
YES. All of my party pokemon need to be at the same level.

It evens out the team and you will be able to rely on each pokemon. Plus, I feel that it is unfair to have some at higher levels than others. Pokemon Equality! :D

Reactions: #18

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I'm probably the god of this. Seriously. I spent 80h leveling Pokemon I don't even use to Level 55 in Leaf Green just so that they'd be the same level as my team. For no reason. Seriously.

Check this out.

Party Pokemon

Spoiler:

Box Pokemon

Spoiler:

WIP

Spoiler:

imo only a crazy person has a Level 46 Farfetch'd and a Level 50 Jigglypuff in their box.

Reactions: #18

blue

gucci
Years
I always do this, on my Platinum team right now I'm about to take on Wake but my team has a couple of Level 32,s and the rest at 31 so in order to battle him I would first get the rest to 32, its just a habit.

Back