• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[TUT]Hacking the worldmap in Fr/Lg

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2012
[TUT]Hacking the worldmap in Fr/Lg

1. Starting word
2. The right worldmap
3. Inserting the worldmap
4. Making and inserting the tilemap
5. Ending word

1. Starting word

Hi Guys, here I'll show you how to hack the worldmap in a Firered version.
I'll take a german firered version.

2. The right worldmap

The worldmap must be 208x144 or 192x144...
Also, your worldmap mustn't have more than 256 Tiles! If your worldmap has more difficult (!!!) tiles, you have to make another or change it.
The route and city markes must be at one 8x8 Tile, because, ingame you select 8x8 tiles with the cursor.

3. Inserting the Worldmap
This is one of the easiest steps! Open your rom in the Unlz GBA and go to ~190, Black/White.
6.PNG

Now save the picture and open it in paint.
7.PNG

Now take the tiles of the new Worldmap and paste it into paint,and save!
Now open Unlz GBA and go to the worldmap, insert yours with this checks, and define a new Offset.
8.PNG

4. Making and inserting the Tilemap

The worldmap looks ingame horrible, doesn't it?
We need the NTME or another Tilemap Creator, and have to open our Tileset.
Now make and save the tilemap.
9.PNG

Lastly, open the Unlz GBA once more, go to the worldmap and take "File"->"Load raw...", and import the Tilemap.
After that you have to write it in the rom, make "write to rom" and the check: "Export Palette", and write a new offset.
Save it and open the Hex Editor and you rom.
Look into the list of lu-ho for the offsets of the old tilemaps.

Spoiler:

I need this.

Spoiler:

I'll take the first offset, the tilemap of the normal region.
Now, make the pointer of it.
[3F][00][F4] -> [F4][00][3F]+[08] -> F4003F08.
Search for it in your rom, and change the pointer, take your offset (mine was $810000 -> 00008108) and correct the old.
Thats it!

5. Ending word
Sooo... I didn't tell you how to change the palette, I think you can this.
The Tutorial is (c) by haefele.
Oh yes, I know that my worldmap wasn't like this one, i have talked about in the first step.
One thanks go to ~FunHouse~, he has correct my english.
Have fun and at making worldmaps! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sync

Romhacker #1 \\Germany//
Years
Hey Häfi,

well done. I think it's usefull for some hackers here ;)

Cheesymitten

Dukcs
Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2015
Thanks this is helpful :) my map sucks :P oh well but one thing when i import it to unLZ it says its not indexed O.o

Reactions: sf

Neti

Inactive
Years
you say i have to enter a new offset... but how do i know the offset? xD
im not really experienced in that stuff

i think iwould be able to find an offset with the fsf, but i dont know how mcuh space i need...
also i dont have a hex editor to change the offset later on. once i downloaded one it was bugging me... can you recommend one and give more details on that step please?

Last edited:

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years

i think iwould be able to find an offset with the fsf, but i dont know how mcuh space i need...
also i dont have a hex editor to change the offset later on. once i downloaded one it was bugging me... can you recommend one and give more details on that step please?
yeah the last little bit is confusing for me too.I'll edit this post if i figure it out

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
Oh, you nearly had it. However, you can have 4,096 unique tiles, and you can flip them.
Erm.. And now I think YOU are wrong..?
> 8BPP tilemaps support tilesets with a maximum amount of 256 unique tiles..
> 4BPP tilemaps support tilesets with a maximum amount of 1024 unique tiles..

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 8, 2024
I'd ask MasterMind_X months ago and he said that the worldmap can have 65535 kind of tiles..

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
I'd ask MasterMind_X months ago and he said that the worldmap can have 65535 kind of tiles..
I don't see how that would be possible.. At least, not for the formats I posted above!
> 8BPP tilemaps have one byte (8bits) available to store the tile number; so &hFF + 1 or 256 tiles maximum
> 4BPP tilemaps have 10bits available to store the tile number; so a maximum of &h3FF + 1 or 1024

An other format might have 16bits (2bytes) available for the tile number, so that would indeed make a maximum of &hFFFF + 1 or 65536

Anyways, B2T!

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2012
Hmm, thats interesting, standartly I have 4BPP, and there I can use 256 Tiles.

Oh yes, I've made a videotutorial... I upload it now, and edit the link.

amtrax

Pheonix will rule the world...
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 7, 2010

um to get ur offset, try put it on the rom without changing offset and make sure 'auto abort if too big' is on a error box should pop-up saying 'compressed size is: __ which is too big. aborting' the __ is a hex no. which you need so remember it. press cancel and open the windows calculator on scientific mode. go into 'hex' and type in the hex no. from before, then switch to 'dec' or decimal and it will automatically be transferred into a decimal. this decimal is the amount of space you need to search for on fsf.
credit to >dante< for teaching me this

atanil

O estel Calad tôl
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
How can I change that odd colors??

Edit:I have changed most of the colors but I can't change colors of the towns:

Last edited:
Years
I don't very understand this tuto.
It's look like good but sometimes I don't understand.
If it was explain better maybe I understand it.

Back