• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to put a D/P or fakemon sprite into your ROM + backsprites

Tranitar

Working on Pokémon Wraith
Years
Picture Guide and Video Guide

Tools Required
Irfanview
Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor
Paint
YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor)
First. Choose your sprite, I will be using Buneary

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Second. the Width and Height, Both at 64 (easily done with attributes)

Third. open your sprite with Irfanview

Fourth. Go to Image and click Decrease Color Depth, 16 Colors

Fifth. Open pallete click the color closest to <- this side of the screen
and change it to the backround color, on the backround color to ->
this side change it to black.

Sixth. Save it as a different name then the other one (Preferablly save the first image as -Pokemon Name- Un, and the second one -Pokemon Name- In, Un standing for Unindexed, In standing for Indexed, Unindexed was before we changed the color depth and pallete, Indexed is after we did)

Seventh. So now you should have something two files named something like -Pokemon Name- Un and -Pokemon Name- In, when you open the Indexed one in paint it will look screwed up,Open up a second paint and do this CTRL+A select all and CTRL+C copy it, paste the Unindexed version of it in the Indexed Version of it and save it and delete the unindexed file
save the indexed file as -Pokemon Name- In.

Eighth.Open Advanced Sprite Editor go to the pokemon you are going to erase, click Edit, Click Import all, Double click the indexed sprite, Click update Sprite Pallette, and click the Button to the left of that, if it says something about aborting click the red X of the box that appeared, but if the bottom 2 sprites on the left are good dont click the button to the left of update sprite pallette. Finally click Okay and then Write to Rom, Click Find Free Space and type the code into the start offset and Click okay.

Ninth. Close Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor, and Open your ROM with YAPE and edit your Pokemon.

For backsprites get a picture of a back sprite, and follow steps 1 - 8, yes the attributes still must be 64 x 64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQsyRM6_ZIg&feature=channel_video_title

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Paint doesn't work with this due to it not supporting indexed images anymore. A nice alternative is GIMP or Phostshop.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Well, sorry about the previous comment, you jjst need to reverse some steps, and can work, the problem with the copying and pasting in paint is that paint does not support indexing in newer versions. So, you need to change some steps up for it to work, at least that's what I do.

Huh, I'm on Vista and have done something similar before.

Oh. and it may work for Vista, but it doesn't work for stuff newer than that.

Last edited:

tvoza2

Armored Skarmory
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 1, 2019
I followed all the directions, but when i go to test plat to make sure the sprites work, the game won't start. Any advice?

Years
This is very useful to the newer hackers as it has all the basics. But you may need to explain it more, because some of them may not understand. Anyway, will there be a new tutorial? Like for example "How to insert a trainer sprite." That's if you know how to do it. I'm only saying because it'll be another Tutorial that'll help the new hackers. :)

Back