• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Money can't buy happiness."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
How far do you agree with this statement? It's true that money is simply pieces of metal and pieces of paper, but can it buy you happiness? What sort of things could it buy that could make people happy, if any? Discuss.

No opinion given yet from me for the sake of setting the discussion off to an unbiased start.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
Money can't buy true happiness, in my opinion. It can buy objects that might provide a basis for finding happiness, but in the end, I would be far happier living poor or modestly with the people that I love than rich and alone.

Minishcap

Fecaloma
Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2012
I'd be alot happier with having a little money over each month that I could spend on material things that satisfy my mind.

Years
Money buys temporary happiness. I spent several hundred dollars this past weekend and I was very happy on Monday. What I was happy with, though, was more about being able to express myself with what I bought rather than the things themselves. I guess it's unfortunate that I needed money to get to the point of being able to express myself though. But, you know, different things make different people happy, but even really materialistic people won't find much happiness unless they keep spending money on things, although they probably have more chances of finding something that would make them happy since they don't have to worry about money.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
Money can't buy happiness, but it surely does help. At the very least, it can buy stability. You can't really be happy if you keep fretting about groceries, medical bills, house payments, and student loans. Once you have stability, then you can start on the road to happiness.

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
Complete lie. Money can buy happiness all you want. Any gain in happiness is just temporary anyways. Money just gives a quick short-cut to all the little boosters of happiness in life. What it can't buy is love. Love is just another booster of happiness, and happens to have the unusual trait of being constant for as long as one can hold on.

Money can buy happiness, just not all happiness.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
It definitely gets rid of any worry, that's for sure. But actual happiness? I guess to some extents. Like, you can help build a playground with a lot of donated money, so a lot kids would be pretty happy with that. I know I was with my various playground memories...

But I don't think an individual can buy happiness for themselves. Other people really play a role on how happy you are, most of the time. And you can't buy friends. If you do, those aren't friends.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
Define happiness. If you're looking to become happy through self-success with a career held for many years, then simply having money won't buy you that happiness. Unless you're willing to go to school for it and work your ass off. In which case, money will definitely help with that and could probably buy you happiness in the end. But most people with money don't actually try to make anything of themselves because you tend to do that in order to make money, which they already have.

But money can definitely provide happiness. And it can make you feel really good about yourself, if you know how to use that money. Donating part of your money to the less fortunate can be very fulfilling and rewarding, and if you believe in karma then you'd be gettin a boner. For me, I can think of plenty of things I would love to buy to make myself happier. And, since I'm currently in school, I'd probably buy things to give myself a better chance at a satisfying and rewarding career.

While money can't buy happiness, it can surely help provide happiness, be it short-term or long-term.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
Money alone cannot buy happiness. However, combined with things like social skills and stuff like that it can in fact buy happiness in the sense that it can directly cause you to become happier. Regardless, ultimately money is only one of many parts to happiness.

GGJ

Roaming & Learning
Years
Money can't buy happiness.

"I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."
Henry David Thoreau

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
Years
In today's society, yes, yes it does. Money is the root of happiness.

Is there anything we have today that makes us infinitely happy and costs absolutely no money? And love isn't an answer I'm afraid.

GGJ

Roaming & Learning
Years
In today's society, yes, yes it does. Money is the root of happiness.

Is there anything we have today that makes us infinitely happy and costs absolutely no money? And love isn't an answer I'm afraid.
Many things actually. Nature, friends, animals, all supply us with happiness and sometimes you even profit by finding edible berries.

MuffinPaula

「PONPON!? ??
Years
Define happiness..

Money can buy you: Bikes, TVs, Video Game Systems, Tickets to Concerts, A House, Food, etc.

Is that not happiness??

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty.
-Leo Rosten

Sure, you can be happy without them, but they do buy you safety and convenience.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Money can buy happiness, sure. I'd be plenty happy with a huge house, a swimming pool filled with $100s, and the ability to travel nonstop.

But you can be happy money as well. But it helps.

Money can't buy love or friendship. Happiness? Yes.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Desperate Housewives said:
Sister Mary Bernard: Money can't buy happiness.
Gabrielle: Sure it can! That's just a lie we tell poor people to keep them from rioting.

I think the "money can't buy happiness" is basically an overly romanticised cliche. I agree with PkMnTrainer Yellow (which is unusual, I must say :P) in that money by itself is not enough to buy lasting happiness. However, it is not possible to achieve happiness without money. What money buys is security, it buys the ability to not have to think about money and I think that's the basis you need in order to begin to pursue real happiness.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Wrong. Money sure can buy happiness. Look at the sponsor a child campaigns for starters. The people who live in poverty, with generous donations, can afford to be happy and have a hope that would've never existed to them without the money. For people like us who have a more readily available access to money and privilege, money has lost some of it's meaning. But to people who need the donations they get, the happiness they get from the money is entirely real.

Retro Gamer'93

Pokemon Master of Kanto
Years
I hate this saying, you know why? Because without money the people that made up this saying would be living in the streets and huddling under cardboard boxes for shelter instead of spouting philosophical bull crap like this. Of course money can buy you happiness, every person who has ever been even slightly poor knows this, without money all the basic necessities: food, water, shelter; wouldn't be achievable in today's society very easily if at all. Money is what pays for those cookouts that you have with your relatives, the flat screen TV's that you watch you favorite shows on or the Saturday Night football games on with your kids. Money pays for your education, for you to go to college so that you can get a better job instead of being stuck working in a McDonald's for the rest of your life. Just about everything in this world requires money to buy. Even if happiness is short, money makes it last longer, and builds memories so that when you die, you have no regrets.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Money can buy temporary, faux happiness, but true happiness can't be bought.

You guys know what I mean, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back