• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gamefreak is Lazy and Boring!

Lugiaz Soul

I support Crystal Dust
Years
I think Gamefreak is really lazy. There game has stuck to the basics for so long and I'm tired of it. I would really like to see their games evolve and turn into something beautiful like Golden Sun Dark Dawn.

The navigation system is really boring in Pokemon. Up, Down, Left, Right walking is getting really boring.
In Golden Sun, you get to move all over the screen. I want to move my character at diagonals. Gamefreak needs to move away from old concepts and accept that their games are running out of ideas.

The puzzles are super easy. Gamefreak needs to take a good hard look at their fan-base and stop making the same game over and over again.

I would like to see an option where when a battle starts, you have a bunch of options like using the pokedex and scanning Pokemon. I hate it when the game does everything for me.

I have a bunch of other stuff on my mind and don't have time to write it all. Commanding Pokemon with voice?

I really want to play Pokemon but I can't stand what the game has become. Anyone else feel this way? I know that some of you are totally for what Gamefreak does but I'm reaching out to those who want to see some major changes. Type away!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I think Gamefreak is really lazy. There game has stuck to the basics for so long and I'm tired of it. I would really like to see their games evolve and turn into something beautiful like Golden Sun Dark Dawn.

The navigation system is really boring in Pokemon. Up, Down, Left, Right walking is getting really boring.
In Golden Sun, you get to move all over the screen. I want to move my character at diagonals. Gamefreak needs to move away from old concepts and accept that their games are running out of ideas.

The puzzles are super easy. Gamefreak needs to take a good hard look at their fan-base and stop making the same game over and over again.

I would like to see an option where when a battle starts, you have a bunch of options like using the pokedex and scanning Pokemon. I hate it when the game does everything for me.

I have a bunch of other stuff on my mind and don't have time to write it all. Commanding Pokemon with voice?

I really want to play Pokemon but I can't stand what the game has become. Anyone else feel this way? I know that some of you are totally for what Gamefreak does but I'm reaching out to those who want to see some major changes. Type away!

Ok...starting off, Golden Sun has had the same Mechanics for 3 generations of games. Not to mention nearly the same graphics quality even after moving from the GBA to DS. It follows the same basic plot and has all the same rudimentary systems through the 3 games. To finish, Golden Sun does not hold a CANDLE to the sales Pokemon does. Even though I am a big fan of the series, with exception to Dark Dawn as that was the biggest let down I've ever had, Golden Sun cannot compete with Pokemon.

Next, all of the BIGGEST selling games do way worse on the repetitive scale. All Sports games, Call of Duty, Mario, Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Metroid are like this. They are all the same stories retold with different elements JUST like Pokemon. Almost all of the greatest games share this little tidbit. There is nothing lazy about Gamefreak or Pokemon's development.

Don't fix what ain't broken?

Quoted for glorious truth!

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Alot like Xander said many major best selling game franchises have been using the same formula for years and only change it slightly. My brother said once before : Pokemon is one of those games that can keep the same formula every game and not be boring and still sell." It just works best in the formula it has. I personally wouldn't want GameFreak to change the formual up too much cause alot of it's fine the way it is and I'm used to it. It would be confusing if things were to change completely cause Pokemon's known for that formula it started with in the first game. They all have the same basic story with some added elements. I don't see that as being lazy, just GameFreak sticking with the story and formula their known for cause it works the best.

Years
Xander mostly explained it all, most major gaming franchises (like Pokemon of course) use the same formula for years and they may do a little change here and there but as AWsquared said, Pokemon can keep the same formula for every game, and still makes money. Also, Pokemon games have improved a lot over each generation, such as changing the battle mechanics.

If Pokemon's basic formula were changed now, it would cause too much confusion, especially with the older fans who still play the games. Pokemon's basic formula of stuff like 8 Gyms, an Elite Four and Champion and a villainous team has been a staple for the past 17 years and they probably won't change it anytime soon.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Don't fix what ain't broken?
He said it best.

Since this isn't exactly about X and Y, but Pokémon games overall and what you think about them, I'm just going to shift this on over to Syd's forum.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
If the navigation is really boring, why don't you play Pokemon Colosseum or XD?

And majors changes mostly leads to major problems with the game too.

And what's the point of having an option to scan the Pokemon in battle? It's way more convenient the way it is now and it'll just make the battle longer if you have to scan THEN attack.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I definitely agree with what Xander said. If you think that GameFreak is being lazy about Pokémon, then you're also thinking that other game developers are lazy about other games like Super Mario Bros., since those games use the same storyline like Xander said.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2015

Dude, they make changes in side games like Colloseum and Mystery Dungeon. The main games are always gonna stick to the formula. As for easy puzzles, it's a kid's game man.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
The thing with any franchise is that some people will tire of the same thing, while others will hate it when they change it up.

With Pokemon you can have the best of both worlds as others have mentioned already. Main series is in the foreseeable future going to remain the same, because that's what sells an awful lot. (Millions of sales last gen after all). Meanwhile the spinoffs offer a different take on the series, like the upcoming MD game, or Conquest/Pokepark for recent games that are actually currently out. Note that Game Freak only make the main games, but well, why fix what isn't broken? All game companies are a business, and so they want to make money. They don't want to risk an already good run (good run being one of the best selling franchises and running for many years across multiple consoles), and they don't have to either.
A gimmick at best, and maybe not the best idea. After all, as someone put it elsewhere a long time ago, not many people want to play Pokemon on a bus trip and need to shout 'Go, Lickylicky!' just to play. Nor does it really add much in terms to gameplay.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Welll I don't think the core mechanics sjould be changed, but I do believe that the games could have been a lot better. Ever since the games were released for the nds, I think game freak has been rather lazy when it came down to graphics and mapping... the unova region feels unnatural to me, and even though the sprites are animated, some were just animated versions of the previous gen's sprites.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
If they added something revolutionary... wouldn't that give them less possibilities to do something new in future? ;)
Pokemon is the most selling product of Game Freak, they obviously want to upgrade it slowly so they can have room for further development ;)

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
The gameplay is pretty dated at this point yeah (random encounters), but simple mechanics does wonders for a series that caters to a younger audience to begin with. The problem with Pokemon, especially with gen 5, is the region design and technical capabilities. I do agree that Pokemon is repetitive (for an RPG, especially), but it's a million seller and there's absolutely no reason to move away from the formula. EXPAND on it, definitely, like what Zelda or Halo does, but that's never gonna happen.

That said, OP, I recommend you try out Drill Dozer on the GBA and the HarmoKnight demo that was recently up on the 3DS eShop. Game Freak is at its best when not milking Pokemon.
Next, all of the BIGGEST selling games do way worse on the repetitive scale. All Sports games, Call of Duty, Mario, Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Metroid are like this. They are all the same stories retold with different elements JUST like Pokemon. Almost all of the greatest games share this little tidbit. There is nothing lazy about Gamefreak or Pokemon's development.
No, Pokemon is the worst of this. Game design is more than story. Don't talk crap you don't know about. Zelda and Mario are more repetitive than Pokemon? (The only Mario games that are repetitive are the NSMB games, which are backed by some of the best level designs in the series.) Metroid is repetitive at all (And it doesn't share the same story, for god's sake)? How about you play them before saying anything. It doesn't help that Pokemon is a turn based RPG, whereas competitive games like sports and CoD only need minor update and adventure/platformers game only need new and innovative level design to help keep them feel fresh. Pokemon might introduce new gameplay mechanics but that means absolutely nothing to the normal consumer, unless you're a die hard fanboy but you're not the real target audience. To the normal consumer, a new pokemon game just means new Pokemon and new locations, but that's it. There's nothing much there gameplay-wise. It's the reason why most consumers only stick with a generation or two before getting bored, and that's why you see a lot of people who only liked gen 1 and 2. (And the people who played gen 3 at their age are growing up to talk bias of it, now.) Anything further than that and you get a fan, or most likely a fanboy. Mario, for example, on the other hand is universally loved, both by adults and kids alike, and everyone sticks with it because the formula is just too fun too feel repetitive, with level design that keeps on giving and new mechanics that does wonders for platformers.

Jesus christ, Metroid? Good god.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Yes Metroid...because it has the same built in mechanics through 5 generations of games. Then when they switch to a more 3D look, all of those games share the same basic mechanics. The gameplay does not improve through out. The ONLY thing that changes are characters, and that includes enemies and monsters, weapon/items, and story/location...What other game does that? Oh let me think...Oh ya POKEMON. Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Gameboy, and Gameboy Advance Metroids use the same boring side scrolling travel in every game.

It has the same goals despite different stories, just like every major videogame listed before. The 3D ones all use the Samus helmet vision and a fighting style very similar to playing a Duke Nukem or some other severely outdated FPS game.

Also I have played them. I currently have the two for the 3DS' Virtual Shop downloaded and own Other M. I've played it with various friends who are advocate players of the series.

There has to be a reason why Pokemon is also a better selling title than Metroid. Metroid has been around much longer than Pokemon and it still sells way better. So really its a stupid comparison since Metroid can't compete with Pokemon. Since its sells are worse its obviously a worse game franchise.

As for Mario, repetitive is repetitive. If it can be overcome for one game it can be over come for all games like it. Its Save the Princess, travel through 8 worlds because she's never in the castle you go to. Spin offs like party, which are also incredibly repetitive and yes quite boring at this point as they have severely dumbed down the party's integreal system. I liked the difficulty of earning my stars and buying upgrades that the first three had, but after that everything is pretty much just handed to you. Paper Marion is getting to the point where its repeating basic story line stagnancy even went as far as to try and copy basic Mario gameplay and add in an RPG element into it which while Sticker Star is possibly one of my favorite Paper Mario games, its fairly boring when played for long periods.

Competitive games are not excluded from the boring factor either. They are big the first few months after release, if a new game does not come out, then it just slowly dies until the hardcore players stay, if they don't constantly alternate through their games like my cousin does. Even my brother who used to love those kind of games has given up on it because he realized its the same game over and over and over again.

So, please kindly STHU. You do not know anything about me, or about any of the franchises you are trying to use to spread more of your useless and petty Pokemon hatred. I happen to like all of them outside of the sports and CoD series games and play them fairly regularly. I also don't go around spouting out hate rants on a site dedicated to a specific franchise about that specific franchise. If you hate it so much just stop playing the games. Stop dealing in areas about those games and move on so maybe you'll finally find something that won't make you just sit around with nothing to do but waste your time and just whine about everything.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2015
Personally, i'm a bit between this. When I plasyed Pokemon Ruby, I was astounded at the possibilities of the new capabilities of the stuff. I could play for hours with the Acro Bike, DIVE underwater (Which tok away from the 2D feel of the Ocean for once. The time components were still a little clunky from Gold/silver, such as Berry growth and the tides, but the weather attribute was a nice addition to the playing and strategy to games. Kekleon was awesome trying to find as many as i could. The entire game was nothing but improvements aside from the clock.

And I LOVED the journal entry addition to FR/LG. Plus the Sevii Islands made it feel like I was cheating a little and getting to go to the Orange Islands.

Then Came Diamond/Pearl, which astounded me with its new 2.5 dimension feel. The clock was finally fixed, using the clock of the DS, which kept in check even when the thing was off, which was a problem back in the gameboy/GBA days. But other than a boost in creative art style, nothing major, They even removed Dive, so the boost directional movement was gone. They didn't even have whirlpools, which were cute in Gold/Silver.

Though they did bring back both Whirlpools and Dive in HG/SS. plus they added the Following Pokemon thing from yellow, which was nice. And they gave us the carrying pot for the nuts. I was on the fence on those, as the new clock would make it easy to check with the new nuts, but instead they let us keep the nuts on us as well.

Then came Black and White, which is so young that I feel guilty talking about it. I didn't see anything new about it other than the 2.75D. We still don't have 3D yet and we won't really until we get 1st person of just over the character 3rd person perspective in these games. I don't remember anything new.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm playing baseball with this thread and right now, it's on strike two. Everyone cool your jets, or you may be infracted if you get too rowdy. And the thread will be locked on strike three. And we don't want that. So if you can't say anything nice, don't say nothin' at all.

Carry on.

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
I do agree that pokemon is quite repetative, but I don't think i'll ever stop playing regardless. One reason GF keeps with the same basic concepts and all that, is probably because they are making the games for kids to play.. It's pretty much been like that since the start, I don't see it changing at all.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
It's been mentioned so many times and is constantly quoted for truth; if it ain't broken, don't fix it. What they can do, however, is make minor tweaks to the formula to add a new twist to the game experience such as overhauling a type chart to nerf a certain dominant type like Psychic was back in Gen 1 or reworking the EV/IV mechanics to make it easier for competitive players to form their teams outside of Pokemon Online or Pokemon Showdown.

Back