• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Three Questions that are probably easy

Years
First Question: After a trainer battle I want to make it so a switch is activated where that trainer disappears. Is this possible or not possible? I try to set a self switch to make it happen but the trainer always stays there so if someone can show me an example of a script like that I'd appreciate it.
(I'd like to see what to put after you've added in Battle, Type, Name, Endspeech, and Endbattle pretty much)

Second Question: I want to know how you make it so the game chooses the back sprite you want for your partner trainer. Because I want to try to put a script like this:
pbRegisterPartner(PBTrainers::WATERTRAINER,"Misty",0)
But I don't know how to make it so it uses the back sprite you want.

Third Question: Do you have to make the partner trainer a dependent event? Because it'd be nothing but inconvenient for the way I want it to be like in my game?

Sorry I know I said three, but one more question!
Fourth Question: How do I choose what Pokemon the partner trainer has? Because I'm not sure of this so even if I did add in the partner trainer they wouldn't have any Pokemon. Can the partner trainer have multiple Pokemon as well?

So yeah if anyone can answer these (probably basic) questions I'd really appreciate it. I'm kind of new at this, but I know the basics of making events and mapping. Things like this just haven't been clarified to me yet. Have a great day!

Last edited:
Years
I honestly use the Wiki a lot when I have these problems. So in other words I couldn't find what I was looking for which is why I asked this. I will double check and re-read the Partner Trainers section though. From what I remember I didn't have much luck though. Thank you for the reply!

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
1. Simply making the trainer's event's second page (the one that depends on the Self Switch) blank will do the trick. You will need to refresh the map, though, by putting the event script command $game_map.need_refresh=true immediately after setting the Self Switch on the first page. This particular advice isn't in the wiki, I'll admit, but only because it's an RMXP skill rather than something specific to Essentials. Remember to remove the comments first, because if you leave them in they'll just undo your tweaks (this advice is in the wiki).

2. Read the middle paragraph of this section of this page (appropriately titled "Setting a partner trainer up").

3. Read the first paragraph of this section of this page (titled "Dependent events"). No, a registered partner is completely separate to a dependent event, and you can have one without the other; it just makes sense to have a dependent event if you have a partner.

4. Read the first paragraph of this section of this page (appropriately titled "Setting a partner trainer up").

Years
1. Okay! Thank you, I did that but I have never once refreshed any map so that explains it.
2. Read Number 4.
3. Alright, thank you! But now that Dependent Events make more sense to me I realize it would easily be possible to do this.
4. So are they telling me to create the trainer with the Editor that I make most of the trainers with? But basically instead of giving away their front sprite you give away their back? Or can you still have a front sprite for that trainer, but just make the ID after trback for them? I will test these out though. And I assume if this is all true it's very easy to choose what Pokemon they have.

Years
First: use the Switch (think it is), put it to switch to A, B or C and ready.
Second: ....
Third: ...
Fourth:Use scripts,if not mistake me as an example has a script in own starter kit.

I do not know if I explained well... :p

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
4. So are they telling me to create the trainer with the Editor that I make most of the trainers with? But basically instead of giving away their front sprite you give away their back? Or can you still have a front sprite for that trainer, but just make the ID after trback for them? I will test these out though. And I assume if this is all true it's very easy to choose what Pokemon they have.
A partner trainer is exactly the same as any enemy trainer in the game. There is absolutely no difference in how they are defined. They have a trainer type and name, and are created in trainers.txt with their party of Pokémon (up to 6). No difference.

The only additional task you need to do is to give the partner trainer's trainer type a back sprite. Compare the player's trainer type, which is just like any other trainer type except it also has a back sprite (as well as a front sprite which all trainer types have).

Back