• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pa. Craigslist killing suspect claims she murdered at least 22 others

Years
So I was looking for a news story I thought would be worth my time to put up, and I happened to run into this shocker.

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/crime/...uspect-claims-she-murdered-at-least-22-others

So, this girl, Miranda Barbour, was found to have strangled and stabbed a man she met on Craigslist, and then she's confessing that she's killed far more than just that. And that this even goes back to when she was 13 and in Alaska. Showing no remorse at all. And it's implied in the interview she apparently had that she would do it again if she was let out of prison.

The police say they're investigating and contacting the FBI.

What do you think? Do you think she's crazy? If she's pleading guilty do you think she would really go back to killing? Discuss.

Last edited:
Years
She is likely a sociopath. A sociopath has no control over actions, but should be expunged from society nonetheless, unless of course we can come up with a viable treatment. Though, we are not even close to discovering a fool-proof, or near that, in any current treatments.

If she is proven to have committed the murders, I would suggest the death penalty (lethal injection), since there is no use allowing an ill person to continue to live in misery at the expense of taxpayers. It's a lose-lose situation.

Years
Well, yeah, as shown we haven't seen any real evidence that she actually killed these people other than her claims. But if she wanted to kill "bad people", it really baffles me as to what the person she killed in the first place even did.

However, at the same time that article states that investigators are aware of her claims of involvement in other murders. And like I said, what really bothers me is the fact that she's admitting this stuff, only to do it all over again if she'd get out.

I feel that maybe she should be put in a mental institution, because her ideas kinda contradict if you ask me, and that feels like mental illness to me.

Years
She is likely a sociopath. A sociopath has no control over actions, but should be expunged from society nonetheless, unless of course we can come up with a viable treatment. Though, we are not even close to discovering a fool-proof, or near that, in any current treatments.

If she is proven to have committed the murders, I would suggest the death penalty (lethal injection), since there is no use allowing an ill person to continue to live in misery at the expense of taxpayers. It's a lose-lose situation.

A sociopath is more difficult to spot than a psychopath because those are the type of individuals who know how to interact with society so they appear relatively normal to others. Psychopathic signs on the other hand may be slightly easier to identify, but not by much. She's probably one of the prime examples, but even so, people shouldn't be too trusting especially when meeting people through online dating websites, Craigslist, Kijiji, etc. If what she claims is true, I'm not entirely sure what her consequence should be. She's definitely got the signs of being a sociopath though; having no remorse for killing and believing she's doing the world "good" by killing off those who are "bad."

Years
A sociopath is more difficult to spot than a psychopath because those are the type of individuals who know how to interact with society so they appear relatively normal to others. Psychopathic signs on the other hand may be slightly easier to identify, but not by much. She's probably one of the prime examples, but even so, people shouldn't be too trusting especially when meeting people through online dating websites, Craigslist, Kijiji, etc. If what she claims is true, I'm not entirely sure what her consequence should be. She's definitely got the signs of being a sociopath though; having no remorse for killing and believing she's doing the world "good" by killing off those who are "bad."

Yeah, I meant to say the "if" part before the first paragraph. We really don't know if she actually was involved as she claimed. Agreed with the difficulty with distinguishing sociopaths with psychopaths as well. Along with the lack of remorse, she does seem a bit less intelligent or protective of herself. Sociopaths are a bit more risky and are more apt to place themselves and interest in harm's way. Ugh, there is even debate in psychology over whether or not there truly is a clear distinction and where those distinctions overlap; I'd go through some of it, but I am mentally exhausted. Either way, I find the study interesting. (Though I am by no means well-versed in it)

And... I have to add this as it relates to the dumb-sociopath/smart-psychopath debate.
tumblr_inline_mk6k6uyUUE1qz4rgp.png

(though psychologists [that wasted their time to weigh in] mostly agreed that Sherlock Holmes character is neither a sociopath or psychopath.)​

Back