• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Hah, I hate these types of threads, but I came here so surprised that it wasn't already created within the few minutes this forum was public.

So there are three starters, of course. All with the basic types: fire, grass, and water.

So, for the purpose of starting a discussion, what's your favorite starter available?

• Tsutaaja (ツタージャ) is the Grass Snake Pokemon, its ability is Overgrow, it is 0.6 m (2 ft) tall, and it weighs 8.1 kg (17.9 lbs). "Tsuta" means "ivy" and "ja" is one way of saying the word "snake."
  • Pokabu (ポカブ) is the Fire Pig Pokemon, its ability is Blaze, it stands 0.6 m (2 ft) tall, and it weighs 9.9 kg (21.9 lbs). The name derives from "pokapoka," which means "warm" in Japanese, and "bu," the sound a pig makes in Japanese culture (here it's "oink").
  • Mijumaru (ミジュマル) is the Sea Otter Pokemon, its ability is Torrent, it is 0.5 m (1.6 ft) tall, and it weighs 5.9 kg (13 lbs). "Mijuku" means "immature" and "maru" means "round" or "ball."
Source: PokeBeach [article link]

As for me, design-wise, I find that Tsutaaja is my favorite. I'm a little confused, though, because although it looks like a reptile, it doesn't look like a sneak, but moreso of a lizard of some type. I'm severely disappointed that they're keeping the traditional Overgrow, Blaze, Torrent ability trio that was first introduced. I was hoping for a mix-up of new abilities. They're breaking a lot of traditions they first introduced when creating the games, and although we're only two generations in with abilities, baww at their choices. :(

Agent Clank

Bye PC
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2011
Mijumaru is My favorite cause to me he resembles Piplup.
Which I love Piplup.
So yeah I am picking Mijumaru cause He's Awesome.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I for one despise the fire type starter. The fire-type starters have been able to stand on two legs....except for now. The grass type starter reminds me of Flygon/Sceptile so that's a plus. I like the idea of a sea otter pokemon and I'm glad he's a starter.

I hope the final evolutions are wicked.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Mijumaru is My favorite cause to me he resembles Piplup.
Which I love Piplup.
So yeah I am picking Mijumaru cause He's Awesome.
When it comes to Mijumaru, at first I didn't like him. I found his design to be really childish and really unappealing to me as a whole. But after seeing the battle footage of him fighting Pokabu, I found him to be absolutely adorable. The way he moves is just adorable. For me, anything can overcome me with cuteness and that's what Mijimaru did. I found it to be so cute that it went from me not liking it at all to me absolutely adoring it (except not as much as Tsutaaja).

Tsutaaja > Mijimaru > Pokabu :>

Guy

just a guy
Years
As far as design goes, I like Tsutaaja the best simply because it isn't overdone and it isn't underdone. It's just right as a starter and has a cool concept. As far as it being based on a Snake, I don't see it much as I probably should - more so a lizard than anything. I feel as though Pokabu was a little overdone and Mijumaju (love it's name by the way) was just a little too over-thought being based on a Sea Otter and all.

I can't actually choose a personal favorite as yet though. I feel as it's too early since final evolutions aren't revealed as yet and probably won't until prior to the game's release this Fall. When I did see them all first, it took some time to actually recognize them as region starters, but as of recently they've all sunk in. I even like Mijumaju (shame on you haters out there), and after it's debut today in Pokémon Sunday, I can say my likeness towards it grew.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years
I need to see the entire evolutionary chain before picking a full-on favorite, but so far, I'm in love with Pokabu. Yes yes, we all know I love water-types and Mijumaju, but Pokabu just seems so energetic, so lovable, so awesome. In my opinion, he's the best fire starter since the one I picked, Charmander. (go ahead Cyndaquil lover, hate me) Tsutaaja is so laid back and has a deceptive ideal, perhaps a touch of royalty, to him. So I like him as well.

It's going to be extremely difficult to pick one, I like 'em all. XD;

As for Mijumaju, the often said "ugly duckling" of these starters, I don't find it over-done. I find it adorable. Like Nick said, the battle scene gave it a new "whaaabbly" cuteness, too. Personally I think people are looking far too much into the official art and nit-picking about the nose, freckles, etc. (Orange is a very common contrast to blue, I don't know why people say orange is completely random, it's not) It also looks brown in some aspects and places, but yeah.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I am pleased with both the grass type starter and the fire type starter. Their designs are quite creative, especially the grass starter. I like him the most.

I am disappointed with the water starters design. I mean, it looks like Piplup, but an Ice type version. Idk, I don't like him.

I can't wait to see their evolutions.

shookie

Often scatters things.
Years
Pokabu, without a doubt. I mean, come on, it's a fire pig! It's just begging for bacon puns.

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 9, 2016
so far i can't really pick between Tsutaja and Mijumaru (but i do love Pokabu too- just not as much)

Mongo

Go Mets!
Years
Really disappointed in the water starter, but I like the other two a lot.

Definitely going to pick Tsutaaja.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
Out of all the Gen 5 starters, I really only like the Grass one. It looks like a cool reptile/snake thing. It should get like, secondary bug type or something.

The fire one looks weird. I mean from seeing the Silhouette, it looked like a Turtwig x Spoink/Grumpig thing, and it's a fire type. I think it would be cool if it had defensive capabilities, which other fire types don't have.

The water one does look more childish than the other starters, and looks like a baby Polar Bear or something. It looks more like an Ice Type than water.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
Years
I must say based on their first evo's I love them all!! I'd have to single out Mijumaru as my favourite though, I mean ask me before Pokemon Sunday came out and I would have been pretty unsure but Mijumaru's animation put him over the top for me!! He's adorable!!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
I like Tsutaaja because he looks the coolest. XD; But Pokabu and Mijumaru are pretty cute, as well. When I saw Mijumaru's description, I started laughing. XDDD Immature ball... lol.

I might either start with Tsutaaja because of his awesomeness or Pokabu because I like Fire types. There could be a chance of picking Mijumaru, but for me, picking the starter mostly depends on the first gym leader's type and what kinds of Pokémon you find before the first gym.

allBlue

legendary cake lover
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 15, 2013
Shamelessly stolen from Serebii forums :P Credit goes to Delthero of Deviant art.

For the confused minds, this is a fan art and an awesome one at that. As you can see, the grass starter already grew on me.

Edit: The artist goes by the name of StarryLatiasGirl right here on this forum and on Deviant Art. Great job LatiasGirl :D

28512142793354893415506.jpg

Last edited:

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 9, 2016
Shamelessly stolen from Serebii forums :P Credit goes to Sheimi-Shaymin of serebii.

For the confused minds, this is a fan art and an awesome one at that. As you can see, the grass starter already grew on me.

.............................. e.O .........................................
sorry i think i just went blind for a few seconds due to the pure win of that fan art

Years
  • Seen Jun 27, 2010
Snake is by far one of the coolest starters I've seen in a while.

The Otter... Is the whorst Pokemon concept I've seen to this day, I just plain hate it. I will decimate any of those I see while playing, without remorse.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Shamelessly stolen from Serebii forums :P Credit goes to Sheimi-Shaymin of serebii.

That is probably one of the best evolution chains I've ever seen. Even though it's fanart. It reminds me a lot of the Treecko evolution chain, which is one of the very few chains that capture nearly every single aspect of the original Pokémon and expand upon each aspect of it. I'm really hoping that Tsutaaja's evolution chain plays out something like this. That final evolution stage is just... omg. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back