• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Laptop Won't Run

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Tonight I was about to open my laptop, and I find out that Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights are blinking, and when I opened my laptop again, it won't run... I got a blank screen with the same Lock lights blinking (the laptop seems like it's turned on btw).

I wonder what happened?

Starry Windy

Years
I was using Compaq Presario CQ40 lines btw. The Lock keys was blinking, and I noticed when I turn on my laptop, the battery charging light is turned off for some reason.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
It sounds like you don't see anything on screen, which means your screen got burned-in (how do I properly word it in English?).
I had it with my very first Laptop too, the thing was on, everything worked, but I couldn't see anything on screen.
The only way to see something, was to put the screen against the sun, but sadly, it was the one of the last customer Laptops with a TFT Screen, I wouldn't recommend you to do the same with a glass Screen.

Starry Windy

Years
It sounds like you don't see anything on screen, which means your screen got burned-in (how do I properly word it in English?).
I had it with my very first Laptop too, the thing was on, everything worked, but I couldn't see anything on screen.
The only way to see something, was to put the screen against the sun, but sadly, it was the one of the last customer Laptops with a TFT Screen, I wouldn't recommend you to do the same with a glass Screen.

My laptop is using LCD system, and weirdly, the first time the Lock keys are flashing, my laptop's screen is still ok (even when I'm shutting down my laptop after seeing them flashing). The problem starts when I'm turning on my laptop after that.

It might not be burn-in. Does the computer make sounds as if it's starting up?

We need to know all the details of what it's doing when you open it. Sounds like it could be a video failure.

Usually, when I open my laptop, it usually starts quite silent (except for the laptop's fan's sound obviously) even if it's operating properly. And usually I know it's starting up when I see the Compaq logo in my monitor in the first place. However, this time when I open it, it's all black, I can't type anything, the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock's lights are flashing. And the charging light (the one with thunder sign in it) interestingly turned off when I'm opening my laptop, and the same charging light is on again when I turn off my laptop.

Last edited:
Years
If you have a spare monitor, try connecting the laptop into that. There should be a port on the side you can use for outputting video to the monitor. If there's still no video and the monitor and laptop both have power, it may be a video driver failure.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
If you have a spare monitor, try connecting the laptop into that. There should be a port on the side you can use for outputting video to the monitor. If there's still no video and the monitor and laptop both have power, it may be a video driver failure.

Adding to this: Or modern day TVs will do.

Starry Windy

Years
I have tried the spare monitors but still no go, but sometimes the Compaq logo pops up on both of my monitors, after waiting for about a minute (although it occurs rarely), so I'm sure it's not the monitor's problem. I'm still troubled with the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock's blinking lights though, because usually the lights are not flashing, and the slow boot (as in waiting for the BIOS logo) as well. I wonder if there's something wrong that the lights are flashing and the long wait of the Compaq logo.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I have tried the spare monitors but still no go, but sometimes the Compaq logo pops up on both of my monitors, after waiting for about a minute (although it occurs rarely), so I'm sure it's not the monitor's problem. I'm still troubled with the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock's blinking lights though, because usually the lights are not flashing, and the slow boot (as in waiting for the BIOS logo) as well. I wonder if there's something wrong that the lights are flashing and the long wait of the Compaq logo.

This probably means the BIOS is either unable to initialise everything and hence unable to boot, or it is unable to access the boot device. It's unlikely that either the GPU or video outs are the problem now - I think it's the laptop.

Anyway, how old is the laptop? Is it still under warranty? Your best bet is either get it serviced (if under warranty/have important data) or get a new, better laptop.

Years
This probably means the BIOS is either unable to initialise everything and hence unable to boot, or it is unable to access the boot device. It's unlikely that either the GPU or video outs are the problem now - I think it's the laptop.

Anyway, how old is the laptop? Is it still under warranty? Your best bet is either get it serviced (if under warranty/have important data) or get a new, better laptop.

This this this.

If it was just the video, you wouldn't be getting the splash screen even occasionally. The BIOS may corrupted.

Starry Windy

Years
I have been using my laptop for about 3-4 years, that I'm unsure about the warranty of my laptop anymore. I think I must bring it on service center after finishing backing up my data, then.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Perhaps after backing up everything you can get a hold of off the laptop, start shopping for a new laptop.

I'd suggest asking for suggestions at this point. What do you want your laptop to do now, and in the near future?

Starry Windy

Years
Perhaps after backing up everything you can get a hold of off the laptop, start shopping for a new laptop.

I'd suggest asking for suggestions at this point. What do you want your laptop to do now, and in the near future?

I think after my laptop is repaired, I think I'll keep using it even though my times in laptop will be reduced, while saving up to buy a new one that I'll be using in the future.

Back