• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Would You Guys Like The Idea Of Having A Pokemon Game With All The Regions/Pokemon?

All Regions. All Pokemon. Yes or No

• Total voters

war rock exe

Pokemon Colosseum Remaker!!
Years
Hey guys, it's just as the title says: would you like all that all the games and regions combined into one game? Of course that would take forever but for my intro to computer science class I have to make a game using a game program and I thought, "Hey why not make a Pokemon game using RPG Maker!"
Would y'all like that? (I wouldn't want to waste my time doing something that everyone hates :/

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
There are so many maps in each region that it'd take many months to create them all. It would then take even longer to put events into them, and longer still to make it work as some kind of game rather than a Grand Tour (i.e. sight-seeing without a plot).

The official games work just fine with one region each. Two regions in a game might be all right if you're good and/or the regions are small, but three is pushing it. You certainly couldn't fill more than 3 regions with a single story, and if your solution is to have several different stories (usually one per region), then they might as well be separate games with some recurring characters.

Consider how many games here have just one region in them, and consider how many of them are actually being worked on rather than abandoned at conception, and then consider how much progress they have. Not much. To say that wanting all regions is ambitious is a gross understatement, and you're practically guaranteed to fail badly (I only say "practically" because it's technically not impossible to succeed, but it might as well be).

Personally, I wouldn't want to see such a game anyway, even if it existed. I can just go play the official games if I wanted to retread all the regions. Such an idea reeks of unoriginality, and doesn't at all inspire me to play it because it wouldn't add anything new.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
I think a super long game that is a big accomplishment to complete would be nice.
For example, we could do what Ash does with every region.
Store the Pokemon in the Lab and move on to the next region with a fresh start.
At least that's what I think he does.
Just my thoughts.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
I tried an idea like that, and it is not as pleasant as it sounds. Apart from the heavy work load you get in terms of mapping, eventing, tiling, spriting, thinking (deciding new level caps as they are needed, then the addition of extra movesets past lv100 and such), you have the problem of not being very flexible with such a game. You have to stick to a certain formula, which gets boring after a while. You can't really reinvent the existing towns/routes/misc in terms of mapping (people would look for familiarity in such games). Also, you gotta use existing characters and don't have any freedom with those either. So yeah, as a dewd that tried it, I didn't really have too much fun doing it, hence why I stopped it.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
A game with every region is an idea long sought after mostly by two kinds of people:
  • A) Overly Ambitious People, whos projects die before they start
  • B) People developing an MMO, which is rather logical so they can have more of a world to explore.
Though there have been cases where a person didn't fit either category.

Limiting yourself is the key to a good game, knowing where to draw the line on what to add and what not to add. While the Developer does have total control over what they can do, restraint is a very good skill to learn in development. I speak with minor experience, personal and watching others work.

The game I'm working on, Touhoumon Faith & Prayer Version, showcases 3 regions from Pokemon proper, and a separate region after that. Overly ambitious, but I have plans to make it work. I'd be working more on it right now if my computer wasn't broken, but I digress.

There are things you need to keep in mind when even developing a Multi-Region game that encompasses 2+ Regions.
  • A) The number of maps. A traditional region has about 300+ maps if each map was its own map. Exteriors, Routes, Interiors, All of it sums together. If you were to make a 3 or more region game, you'd hit the Engine Imposed 999 Map Limit before you finished. If you need more than 1000 maps, you should perhaps look into either combining maps, or maybe cutting the project into two depending on how the plot works.
  • B) The length of the game. Your game better be more interesting than "Beat the 8 gyms and become a League Champion" for each region, otherwise it's going to get old. Fast. The plot also better not be a complete rehash of the original games plot. A person doesn't want to download a game where all it is is the combination of several non-plot related games when they could download the individual games themselves and play those. You also don't want it to drag on and on. and on.
  • C) Filesize. This is a large issue that gets easily overlooked if you're playing MP3 files for music. Your game's filesize will spike exponentially without you knowing it, and you'll wind up with a 1 region release that's 1 gig because the music is large. If 1 region ends up being 1 gig, imagine how bad 3 regions would be?
  • D) Leveling and Balance Scale. Using Generation II as an example, by the end of Johto, the player was usually around Level 45~55. At the end of Kanto, the player was usually around the level 65~85, sometimes even 100. If you were to add a third region to the mix, you'd be a 100 halfway through it. It'd be illogical to add a Fourth Region, because then everything would be at Level 100 across the region, and that would get really boring really fast. One method to resolve it would be bumping the maximum level up another hundred levels, but why would you honestly do that? You'd have to work to give the Pokemon additional movepools beyond Level 100, otherwise they'd have to work with what they have for the next 100 levels, and considering their movepools were designed to cap at 100, there wouldn't be much else you could do anyways. Another method is to, like Maruno said, split it into two games depending on Plot. Alternatively, find a creative, but good and perhaps "believable", method to lowering the levels of trainers back down to around 5 at the start of a new region. Hell, pull an Anime and make the player put all their Pokemon in the box and challenge the new region fresh.
I think I covered everything that has been covered in this thread already, with a bit of additional explination, and things that weren't covered yet. Anyone, feel free to correct me on these points if I said something wrong.

A Multi-Region game can be good IF you do it right, and put forth actual effort to balance it out. You just need to know where to draw the line on certain things. Will you develop a game in RPG Maker that encompasses the current Pokemon Regions? Realistically, no, you won't. It's impossible. Limitations in the RMXP Engine, the sheer number of maps, all sorts of technical issues would prevent it. But if you still want to try it, then go for it. If you succeed, you'll be the first to do so, and you may cause a breakthrough in the RMXP department for Pokemon Fangame Development.

war rock exe

Years
There are so many maps in each region that it'd take many months to create them all. It would then take even longer to put events into them, and longer still to make it work as some kind of game rather than a Grand Tour (i.e. sight-seeing without a plot).

The official games work just fine with one region each. Two regions in a game might be all right if you're good and/or the regions are small, but three is pushing it. You certainly couldn't fill more than 3 regions with a single story, and if your solution is to have several different stories (usually one per region), then they might as well be separate games with some recurring characters.

Consider how many games here have just one region in them, and consider how many of them are actually being worked on rather than abandoned at conception, and then consider how much progress they have. Not much. To say that wanting all regions is ambitious is a gross understatement, and you're practically guaranteed to fail badly (I only say "practically" because it's technically not impossible to succeed, but it might as well be).

Personally, I wouldn't want to see such a game anyway, even if it existed. I can just go play the official games if I wanted to retread all the regions. Such an idea reeks of unoriginality, and doesn't at all inspire me to play it because it wouldn't add anything new.

I respect your opinion sir! I was thinking about that same thing as I went to bed! I also think that a difficulty would be very challenging because that's a lot of gyms, a lot of trainers, and a lot of battles... Maybe the player could just start over after every region

A game with every region is an idea long sought after mostly by two kinds of people:
  • A) Overly Ambitious People, whos projects die before they start
  • B) People developing an MMO, which is rather logical so they can have more of a world to explore.
Though there have been cases where a person didn't fit either category.

Limiting yourself is the key to a good game, knowing where to draw the line on what to add and what not to add. While the Developer does have total control over what they can do, restraint is a very good skill to learn in development. I speak with minor experience, personal and watching others work.

The game I'm working on, Touhoumon Faith & Prayer Version, showcases 3 regions from Pokemon proper, and a separate region after that. Overly ambitious, but I have plans to make it work. I'd be working more on it right now if my computer wasn't broken, but I digress.

There are things you need to keep in mind when even developing a Multi-Region game that encompasses 2+ Regions.
  • A) The number of maps. A traditional region has about 300+ maps if each map was its own map. Exteriors, Routes, Interiors, All of it sums together. If you were to make a 3 or more region game, you'd hit the Engine Imposed 999 Map Limit before you finished. If you need more than 1000 maps, you should perhaps look into either combining maps, or maybe cutting the project into two depending on how the plot works.
  • B) The length of the game. Your game better be more interesting than "Beat the 8 gyms and become a League Champion" for each region, otherwise it's going to get old. Fast. The plot also better not be a complete rehash of the original games plot. A person doesn't want to download a game where all it is is the combination of several non-plot related games when they could download the individual games themselves and play those. You also don't want it to drag on and on. and on.
  • C) Filesize. This is a large issue that gets easily overlooked if you're playing MP3 files for music. Your game's filesize will spike exponentially without you knowing it, and you'll wind up with a 1 region release that's 1 gig because the music is large. If 1 region ends up being 1 gig, imagine how bad 3 regions would be?
  • D) Leveling and Balance Scale. Using Generation II as an example, by the end of Johto, the player was usually around Level 45~55. At the end of Kanto, the player was usually around the level 65~85, sometimes even 100. If you were to add a third region to the mix, you'd be a 100 halfway through it. It'd be illogical to add a Fourth Region, because then everything would be at Level 100 across the region, and that would get really boring really fast. One method to resolve it would be bumping the maximum level up another hundred levels, but why would you honestly do that? You'd have to work to give the Pokemon additional movepools beyond Level 100, otherwise they'd have to work with what they have for the next 100 levels, and considering their movepools were designed to cap at 100, there wouldn't be much else you could do anyways. Another method is to, like Maruno said, split it into two games depending on Plot. Alternatively, find a creative, but good and perhaps "believable", method to lowering the levels of trainers back down to around 5 at the start of a new region. Hell, pull an Anime and make the player put all their Pokemon in the box and challenge the new region fresh.
I think I covered everything that has been covered in this thread already, with a bit of additional explination, and things that weren't covered yet. Anyone, feel free to correct me on these points if I said something wrong.

A Multi-Region game can be good IF you do it right, and put forth actual effort to balance it out. You just need to know where to draw the line on certain things. Will you develop a game in RPG Maker that encompasses the current Pokemon Regions? Realistically, no, you won't. It's impossible. Limitations in the RMXP Engine, the sheer number of maps, all sorts of technical issues would prevent it. But if you still want to try it, then go for it. If you succeed, you'll be the first to do so, and you may cause a breakthrough in the RMXP department for Pokemon Fangame Development.

Thank you! Now I know that I must be aware/careful of certain things and situations! But you know, there's always hope!

I think a super long game that is a big accomplishment to complete would be nice.
Just my thoughts.

That could work bro! That way I could not have to worry about the difficulty every new region if the player starts over!

Just my thoughts.

I tried an idea like that, and it is not as pleasant as it sounds. Apart from the heavy work load you get in terms of mapping, eventing, tiling, spriting, thinking (deciding new level caps as they are needed, then the addition of extra movesets past lv100 and such), you have the problem of not being very flexible with such a game. You have to stick to a certain formula, which gets boring after a while. You can't really reinvent the existing towns/routes/misc in terms of mapping (people would look for familiarity in such games). Also, you gotta use existing characters and don't have any freedom with those either. So yeah, as a dewd that tried it, I didn't really have too much fun doing it, hence why I stopped it.

I do agree, it's not a pleasant job, but I do know that I have the opinion of creating and entirely different story that involved all of the current regions.

Last edited:

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
It's keeping the "momentum" of the game up for more then two regions that's the main problem. Changing leveling speed is easy or keeping the levelcap for the first few regions low like G/S/C is easy, but motivating the player to keep going would be the hardest part.

I'd rather have two huge regions that are greatly fleshed out, with a side trip to somewhere else as a special event(like the Orange islands). Like what I plan to do with my game.

war rock exe

Years
It's keeping the "momentum" of the game up for more then two regions that's the main problem. Changing leveling speed is easy or keeping the levelcap for the first few regions low like G/S/C is easy, but motivating the player to keep going would be the hardest part.

I'd rather have two huge regions that are greatly fleshed out, with a side trip to somewhere else as a special event(like the Orange islands). Like what I plan to do with my game.

Yes that would be increasingly difficult! But maybe someone (or I) could get rid if that level 100 level cap that way you could keep leveling up your Pokemon!

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Yes that would be increasingly difficult!

What's difficult? Changing leveling rates? That'd be elbow grease work and possibly a bit of it but it shouldn't be that hard. Expanding the total number of levels... that just invites more work then most people would like in everything you can think of. that's why it's not done.

Making an "expanded" two region game? I'd think if you have the ability to make a three plus region game, cutting it down to two and expanding those two or two plus a sidetrip regions would about the same amount of work.

Momentum? I'm cheating and reusing Gamefreak's work as a base, so I can't comment.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Years
Getting rid of the level cap isn't the issue, it's keeping the players interested. You could bump the level cap to 999 and it wouldn't make a lick of difference if the players get bored of your game halfway through the second region. You need to keep things fresh and make them good. Removing the Level Cap isn't the best motivator, it just says "I changed this because I made my game needlessly long and you would have topped by 100".

Zylas

Dat Trains Kid
Years
I think a game like this would be amazing if you followed the plot line sort of like Ash. Ash adventures to ALL of the regions does he not? Plus the plot is quite interesting. So maybe relating it to the anime would make it a lot easier to develop a game such as this. Heck, Skyrim (if any of you have heard of this game) has way more content than if a Pokemon game with all the regions would be created. So why can't Nintendo do the same?

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
My older game had 3.5 regions fully created ;) events, encounters, trainer battles, item balls, story etc etc... It's not hard, but long... If you have consistency, creativity and the will power, you can do it.

Personally, if you have the ideas and motivation to pull off these ideas, why not try... You can only have a go after-all.

Not trying = negativity and negativity = failure.

Imagine if Usain Bolt thought he couldn't break a record because it's impractical or he thinks he's too tall or whatever... (off topic but the same concept).

I say go for it, fail if needed, but in any weather, if you fail to make Johto, but have finished Kanto, guess what... You can build a smaller game with your Kanto region already been made, dadaaa.

I think a game with all regions would be fantastic... I would ask you these questions however; and with these answers:

Have you been in production long... Yes
Do you have school/college or any other education... No
Are you in full time employment be it 25 hours or more... No
Are you consistant (don't give up at the first bump in the road)... Yes
Do you get jobs done or do you prefer to divide your time between other bits and bobs... I get the job done
Are you serious... Yes

If your answers are not the same or are slight variations, I wouldn't try creating a game this big. (obviously there's more to the questions but you get the general idea)

Reactions: FL
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Heck, Skyrim (if any of you have heard of this game) has way more content than if a Pokemon game with all the regions would be created. So why can't Nintendo do the same?
I think the vast majority of players, myself included, would much prefer a game of quality rather than quantity. Yes, Skyrim may have a lot of content. But what is the point if there are one thousand of exactly the same quest with a few verbs and nouns changed? You may as well name the quests "Generic Fetch Quest 1", "Generic Fetch Quest 2" and so on.

This goes for regions. I would much rather one incredibly detailed, fleshed out region than several that, no matter how much work will be put into them, will inevitably become decreasingly fresh and original as you traverse them. It is for this reason that I do not understand the seemingly widespread desire for such a game. But, I guess kids will be kids, and fantasies will remain fantasies.

Mugendai

Glitchologist
Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2014
Ignoring the fact that it would be considerably harder for Bethesda to do so, there is a reason they wouldn't make a single-player Elder Scrolls game encompassing all of Tamriel. There's already enough to do and explore in a TES game that a lot of players would probably just get tired of playing after exploring a couple of regions.

The same issue would apply to a Pokemon game encompassing most or all of the regions. You would have to figure out how to make exploring enjoyable. I had the over-ambitious idea of an "open-world" sandbox-style Pokemon fangame, but I'm not entirely sure how one would make it worth visiting all 7 regions.

Last edited:

ChaosLord

Game Dev Wanderer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2013
Yeah, I really think you should just pick another project if you want to pass that class of yours. Obviously, from all of these comments, making a Pokemon game takes lots of time and work. So, unless you're actually able to work with a few people you know in your area rather than depending on people online and the recruitment thread, might as well work on something else for that grade.

Years
It can be done over a long time, most likely a few months.

But yes I think it would be really interesting, having all the regions would make for a really fun and long adventure. I have seen some ROM hacks that have had more than their regions pokemon, and i find it really interesting to see it on a Gameboy Advance or Gameboy game!

~blu

Derxwna Kapsyla

Years
It can be done over a long time, most likely a few months.

But yes I think it would be really interesting, having all the regions would make for a really fun and long adventure. I have seen some ROM hacks that have had more than their regions pokemon, and i find it really interesting to see it on a Gameboy Advance or Gameboy game!

~blu

I think you severely underestimate exactly how much work it is that needs to be put into a project. You're saying a few months for every region - that could be true, if you had a large team with multiple people working on different regions at the same time. If you have one developer working on it, it'll take that time and expand on it massively. Even my project has taken almost a full year to get where it is today, and that's not even halfway through the first region (Granted, things will pick back up when I get my new computer, but that's besides the point). To make a game with all the regions, looking way beyond the Limitations of Pokemon Essentials, would take you a year, maybe 3, maybe even more, to do, if you do it right and don't rush it.

th3shark

Develops in AS3/C++
Years
I've tried my hand at developing games for a year or two now, and all I can say is that projects will take at least 10x longer to complete than you think. Having aspirations is great, but if you don't set realistic goals your game will never be finished. Trust me, I've had so many projects wither away because of lofty expectations.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
I voted no some time ago, don't know why I haven't replied yet.

Anyway, I don't like fan games using the official regions, let alone all of them. You'll never be able to finish it (and actually end with a decent game, that is) let's say that a region has around 20 towns, that would mean a game with all regions would have over 100 towns... how would you fit all that in a story? What story and which features can you come up with to not make any place not just a place where you can recover your team and battle the gym leader? Most games, including the original ones, even have trouble with just one region...

Before you start out working on it, rry to write a proper design document (This goes for all game developers! )

I would just create a game with a new region, which contains my favorite pokemon from all the other regions...

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I like the idea of all regions, however I do not like them blending into a single plot and I do not like them all having the same repetitive Gym scenario.

Instead, I like them to add their own plot to the overall game. It is a **** ton of work though.

Reactions: FL
Back