• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Eternal X & Wilting Y [Version 2.67 Released]

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
EXWY_Title.png

Hack of: Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Released: 4th February 2016
Last Updated: 27thApril 2021
Current Version: 2.67: Added wild Pelipper to Azure Bay to allow Lucky Egg farming

NOTE: If you're updating from an earlier version to 2.34 or later, you will need to completely uninstall the hack before updating, or make sure that you delete the code.bin file from your 3DS SD card after updating. The code.bin file has been replaced with a patch, and the hack won't work if both files are present.

Overview:

Eternal X & Wilting Y are typical difficulty/721 hacks; all Pokémon are obtainable in all versions of the games, trade evolutions are optional and they are, of course, more difficult than the base games. Both EX and WY come in four versions: the Legal Version makes useful Hidden Abilities easily available, and adds many egg and tutor moves to almost every Pokémon's level up moves, all of which are legal in the official games (hence the name). The Rebalanced Version includes all of these changes, as well as many base stat, type and movepool changes intended to make weaker Pokémon more fun to use. The third version available is Insanity Mode; this is essentially the Rebalanced Version with more challenging Trainer battles. Finally, the Online Version of the hack sacrifices a few features to make every Pokemon you catch legal, and can be used to play online.

Note that all versions of the hack expect you to play with the EXP Share ON.

Legal Version:
This version of the hack is for those of you who don't like fan-made changes to Pokemon; Delibird and friends are just as weak as Game Freak intended, and no random reptilian Pokemon have suddenly gained the Dragon type. Pokemon encountered in this version will only ever have moves and abilities they could legally have in X and Y; the only exceptions are a few Gen V and VI Pokemon who are compatible with the new Sucker Punch TM, and most Ice Types who are compatible with the new Freeze-Dry TM.
Features:
Spoiler:

Rebalanced Version:
This is more or less the same as the Legal Version of the mod, but with changes made to many Pokemon. Some trainers will also have slightly different rosters to take advantage of these changes.
Features:
Spoiler:

Insanity Mode:
This version of the hack is intended to provide a greater challenge than the other versions. It's often unfair and is deliberately poorly balanced, but if you're looking for a challenge, this is the version for you. It's available with or without the Pokemon changes from the Rebalanced Version.
Features:
Spoiler:

Online Version:
This is essentially "EXWY lite." It removes ALL Pokemon related changes - meaning no improved level up moves, no changes to Pokemon available in the wild, and no access to most hidden abilities. In exchange, every Pokemon you encounter is legal for use online and with Pokemon bank. Additionally, thanks to Pokecommunity users MightyBirdy and buley, these versions can be used to play online.
Features:
Spoiler:

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Downloads:
Game files and documents can be found here.

Downloading from Drive can be a bit slower than other options, but it has the benefit of allowing you to skim through the documentation to see if you like the changes first. Enjoy!

WARNING: Because the hacks don't support title updates, the Lumiose save glitch is still in the games; do NOT save in the North or South Boulevard. Saving inside a building is perfectly safe, however.

How to Play:

WARNING: DO NOT install the game from Hshop! I have no idea what the garbage on there actually is, but it's certainly not a 'good' version of EXWY. I've quite a few messages lately about issues with it, so whatever it is, it's very, very broken.

Download the game files from the link above, then follow one of the included installation guides. If you have Luma custom firmware, I highly recommend using the Quick Install guide; this is a simple drag-and-drop process, and doesn't require you to build anything.
If you don't have custom firmware, you can either head over to https://3ds.guide/ to get Luma set up, or play via the homebrew channel and HANS, which you can find out about here: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/. Note that your firmware version may be unable to run homebrew if you've kept it up-to-date.

As Citra -a 3DS emulator- now supports X and Y, a guide for setting up the hacks with Citra is also included in the download. While the games are playable, Citra is still in development, so you should except some instability and/or issues, especially with the game sound.

FAQ and Troubleshooting:
Spoiler:

Videos/Let's plays/etc:
Wilting Y: Legal Version boss fights by destinedjagold

Gameplay Tips:
Spoiler:

KNOWN BUGS:
Spoiler:

Changelog:
The changelog is now available on the hack's Google Drive: click here to view.

Credits:
  • Kaphotics and SciresM (Project Pokémon): For pk3DS and its internal programs, which made this hack possible in the first place.
  • link6155 (GBATemp): For The SMDH Creator, which makes launching these hacks on the homebrew launcher much cleaner.
  • An anonymous helper: For the title screens and menu icons, and sharing the .code file for Pokémon Y.
  • Lithobraker: For pointing out all the files I'd forgotten to include in the updates, and for some excellent feedback.
  • MightyBirdy: For creating the update spoof .cia files that allow some versions of the hacks to be used online
  • Maël Hörz: For creating HxD, which was used to fix the problems with certain level up move sets.
  • buley: For creating the edited code.bin used in the Online version of Eternal X.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2017
I have a question. Is this gonna mess up my original x version and hack it where I won't be able to change it back, or will it make a copy of the original game where it will be the hacked version?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
I have a question. Is this gonna mess up my original x version and hack it where I won't be able to change it back, or will it make a copy of the original game where it will be the hacked version?

It effectively makes a copy with all the hack's changes, your original X version will be fine. It does use the same save file as your actual game, but you can make a back up of that first and restore it whenever you want.

Aussie Riolu

What is anything to a Riolu?
Years
Playing the Rebalanced version and none of the encounters have been changed. The Legal version folder has more files and has all the encounters there plus some other missing things. Never mind that part, found it says it in the installation instructions. Welp.

EDIT: OK, putting in the legal files and then the rebalanced ones seems to work. Although Flareon's stats are unchanged oddly.
EDIT 2: OK some Pokemon haven't been edited, or partially edited. Golduck isn't Water/Psychic for example.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
OK some Pokemon haven't been edited, or partially edited. Golduck isn't Water/Psychic for example.

Thanks for pointing that out, turns out quite a few changes didn't go through. Not sure what happened, but I've re-uploaded the game files with the fixes.

Anyone playing the Rebalanced Version should re-download and reinstall the game (the Legal Version is unchanged, so no need to do anything). Sorry for the inconvenience!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 26, 2023
I registered on this forum for two reasons. One, to say this is a great job. Not many people are active in the Gen 6 hacking, especially for X and Y as opposed to ORAS.

The second reason is a request. There's only two XY hacks out that I know of and both have rebalanced difficulty and move pool changes. Would it be possible to make a Lite version which is just the 721 Pokémon encounters and their evolution changes? There currently is no vanilla 721 hack for either ORAS or XY and I think it would be massively popular.

I've been planning to do one of my own until I saw this but I'd be starting from absolutely zero experience. If you oppose doing this kind of hack, that's fine, but I may prod you for some pointers when doing my own.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
I registered on this forum for two reasons. One, to say this is a great job. Not many people are active in the Gen 6 hacking, especially for X and Y as opposed to ORAS.

Thanks! The fact that there was only one XY hack at the time was one of the reasons I made this in the first place, it'd be nice to see some more Gen 6 hacks.

The second reason is a request. There's only two XY hacks out that I know of and both have rebalanced difficulty and move pool changes. Would it be possible to make a Lite version which is just the 721 Pokémon encounters and their evolution changes? There currently is no vanilla 721 hack for either ORAS or XY and I think it would be massively popular.

The nice thing about Gen 6 hacking is that most of the things you can edit are stored in separate files. If you just wanted the wild encounters and evolution changes, you would simply omit all of the hack's files except for a/0/1/2 and a/2/1/5. The only problem with this is that the wild Pokémon would follow EXWY's level curve, so they'd all be a bit over levelled. Fixing that by hand would be very tedious (not something I'd want to do again for a while), but pk3DS has an option to change the levels of every encounter by a percentage, which would get them close enough to vanilla.
EX & WY have six different versions already, but it wouldn't be too much hassle to add something like this to the next update.

I've been planning to do one of my own until I saw this but I'd be starting from absolutely zero experience. If you oppose doing this kind of hack, that's fine, but I may prod you for some pointers when doing my own.

I'd be happy to give you some pointers, feel free to PM me if you need help with something.

Mikachu

Veteren Trainer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Cali
  • Seen Jan 22, 2024
I think I'll give this hack a shot ^^
Though are we able to play this on actual system or is it off an emulator?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
I think I'll give this hack a shot ^^
Though are we able to play this on actual system or is it off an emulator?

You can play it on an actual system, though you'll need to set up the homebrew launcher on it first.

Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Hello! I've been playing this with the Rebalanced version the past few days, and it's been pretty fun! X and Y were pretty easy games, so having a harder version to play them again with is pretty nice!

I think if I had to criticize something, though, the first gym might be a bit harsh for how early it is, with Viola's six Pokemon with great moves and items.
But that might just be my fault. Given I also put my Battle setting on Set, refuse to use items in battle, and completely forgot the first town's Farfetch'd trade, opting to catch my own...

Other than that though, it's been a pretty fun and challenging adventure so far! So great job on this!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Hello! I've been playing this with the Rebalanced version the past few days, and it's been pretty fun! X and Y were pretty easy games, so having a harder version to play them again with is pretty nice!

I think if I had to criticize something, though, the first gym might be a bit harsh for how early it is, with Viola's six Pokemon with great moves and items.
But that might just be my fault. Given I also put my Battle setting on Set, refuse to use items in battle, and completely forgot the first town's Farfetch'd trade, opting to catch my own...

Other than that though, it's been a pretty fun and challenging adventure so far! So great job on this!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it so far! Yeah Viola was hard to balance, I figured if anyone had trouble they could always grab the trade Farfetch'd to make it easier. Catching your own is probably better in the long run though, Quacklin' tends to stop obeying just before the second Gym.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 9, 2016
i saw a youtuber start a lets play on this rom hack and i just wanted to say so far it looks really promising i cant wait unil i get a 3ds and play this!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
i saw a youtuber start a lets play on this rom hack and i just wanted to say so far it looks really promising i cant wait unil i get a 3ds and play this!

Thanks, hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to play!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Im using a new 3ds xl , can i play this game with it ?

You can, but you'll need to set up the homebrew launcher first, which could be difficult if you're on the latest firmware. If you haven't updated recently it should be pretty easy to do.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 24, 2016
Is This Hack able to be played on my Tablet using The Drastic DS Emulator? If not, Is there a Emulator i can get that will play this?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Is This Hack able to be played on my Tablet using The Drastic DS Emulator? If not, Is there a Emulator i can get that will play this?

Unfortunately no. There's a 3DS emulator in the works that can boot XY, but it'll be quite some time before it's in a fully playable state (right now it's very slow and certain features don't work properly).

Back