• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeCommunity's Competitive Battling Community

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023

PokeCommunity's
Competitive Battling Community

Introduction

Welcome to the PokeCommunity's Competitive Battling Community, a place for competitive battlers to gather and chill. What are we to discuss? Well, we could discuss on metagames, playstyles, popular Pokemon... the possibilities are endless.

The Battle Center itself might be a huge place for competitive battlers to get together, but here, it's different. Think about it, a place where the topic is something everyone will discuss on, wouldn't that be fun? We might even have special tournaments from time to time, or some other special activities.

So if you love competitive battling, and your fellow competitive battlers, this is the perfect place for you. Sign up now!

Rules

- All general PokeCommunity rules and Battle Center guidelines apply.
- Please use the registration form when registering. Generic sign up posts will be ignored.
- Please stick to the topic(s) at all times. Off topic posts (unless stated otherwise) will be reported.
- Do not spam or flame the club. Action will be taken if you do.
- Do not harass any club member. Please report to a moderator if you do get harassed.
- Take part, discuss and have fun in this club.

Registration

- Username: (required)
- Answer to current topic: (required)
- Experience in competitive battling: (required)
- Favourite Pokemon(s): (optional, mega pokemon are allowed, 8 pokemon allowed at maximum)
- Preferred playstyle/core: (optional)
- Extra: (optional)

Favourite Pokemon(s) can come from any tier e.g. Mewtwo (Ubers) and Lucario (Overused)

Members
[supporter]pirouette
303-m.png
658.png
[/supporter]
awolffromspace
245.png
306.png
683.png

[supporter]Ooka[/supporter]
248.png

realdonnyv
006.png

dreyko
479w.png
196.png
303-m.png
198.png
560.png

zygardian harbinger
718.png

Opposite Day
385.png

Zaroas
485.png
645-s.png
248-m.png

Slayr231
286.png
465.png
637.png
479w.png

[supporter]Hikamaru[/supporter]
501.png
656.png
700.png

Dark Azelf
139.png
110.png
482.png
227.png
242.png
709.png
711-s.png
211.png

Helios93
563.png
430.png
080.png
591.png

[supporter]Synerjee[/supporter]
380.png
704.png

Nymphadora
212.png
113.png
245.png

Bidoof FTW
258.png
340.png
184.png
399.png
115-m.png
677.png
129.png

[supporter]Starry Windy[/supporter]
494.png
492.png
468.png
501.png
497.png
653.png
656.png
560.png

BlahISuck
006.png
059.png
229.png
257.png

Redingard
466.png
689.png
445.png
006-mx.png
472.png

Ársa
359.png
350.png
303.png
380.png

[supporter].Gamer[/supporter]
181.png
359.png
701.png

[supporter]Antebellum[/supporter]
153.png
445.png
699.png
213.png

[supporter]PlatinumDude[/supporter]
475.png
658.png
530.png
448.png

TrainerNico
303-m.png
671.png
282-m.png
078.png
573.png

Strawberry
700.png
637.png

Pokedra
230.png
373.png
214.png
481.png
253.png

Tide
431.png

Fomalhaut
303.png
282.png
475.png
658.png
478.png
286.png

Current topic

- How will Pokebank change the meta?

Past topics:
- What's your inspiration and motivation to battle competitively?
- What Pokemon do you think will become XY OU staples?
- How well did XY succeed in balancing the metagame?

- What Pokemon do you predict to be banned next?

Club owned by [supporter]pirouette[/supporter]. Credits to Squirrel for help with the approval of the initial idea and awolffromspace for the approval of the club.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
- Username: Billup (Wolflare, what else would it be???)
- Experience in competitive battling: I'm 1337 and actually beat Elf before! Such experience, wow.
- Favourite Pokemon(s): Suicune, Aggron, and Aromatisse
- Preferred playstyle/core: bulky offense or balance
- Extra: MMMmmMmMMMmMMMm

What's your inspiration and motivation to battle competitively?
I find it more interesting to battle actual people than AI, especially since Pokemon's AI has always been pretty lackluster (see: the wonderful DPP Battle Tower where the only way to lose was to get haxed). More importantly, I've grown attached to PC's battling community, and battling others here has always made it a lot more enjoyable for me. Also, I've always liked the sheer quantity and diversity that Pokemon offers, and how it can be incorporated into team building.

Oh, and I hope you don't mind me changing to font color to black; not everyone uses lighter forum styles, y'know!

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
- Username: Ooka
- Experience in competitive battling: 5-6 years, somewhere in there. Won the official PC Tournament a couple times also, back when they used to have that. xD
- Favourite Pokemon(s): Tyranitar
- Preferred playstyle/core: Semistall w/ Mandibuzz/Rotom-W/MegaSaur

Well, aside from too much time being invested already? xD Finding good matches really. Nothing better than the rush from being 2-2 in the endgame with no clear winner in sight.

Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2016
username- DonnyV
experience-none
favorite pokemon- charizard
preferred style-offensive
Motivation- its fun

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
-Username: dreyko
-Experience Competitively: 3-4 years. I really started getting into it with the release of Pokemon Black and White.
-Favorites: Rotom-W, Espeon, Mega Mawile, Murkrow, Scrafty
-Preferred Playstyle: I play a lot of doubles, 4v4. I like to say i use a medium of stall(Trick Room) to aggressive.

What is your motivation to become better competitively?
Learning and simply having fun are my two biggest motivators in competitive pokemon. Whenever i lose i feel like i learn more about the game and about my style/strategy in a match. I feel that it helps me with team construction(which i love doing). While winning is a nice confidence booster, i do not play to only win, but to have fun, After all if you're not enjoying what your doing, why do it?

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 4, 2017
Username: zygardian harbinger
Answer to Current Topic: My inspiration for competitive battling comes from the viewpoint of thinking of it as an art. There are many, many possibilities and movesets to consider and discover... I don't know about you guys, but I get quite a kick out of it. It's also a good way to make friends and communicate with other people. Plus, what else are you going to do when you finish the game? Beat the Champion over and over again, restart your game so you lose all your specially trained Pokemon and start anew to satisfy your boredom? Competitive battling is an alternative to that.
Experience in Competitive Battling: About 3-4 years
Favourite Pokemon: Zygarde (<_<)
Preferred Playstyle/Core: Doubles Battle Strategies
Extra: What should I put for extra??? Lol

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years
- Username: Opposite Day
- Experience in competitive battling: Quite a bit - Been playing since DP/Plat (:>), but has been gone for most of BW/BW2 (Gen 4 UU any day!)
- Favourite Pokemon(s): Jirachi.
- Preferred playstyle/core: Overpredicting and anything gimmicky.
- Extra: I absolutely love damage calcs and tweaking EV spreads to make them more suitable to my needs. 252/252 is boring man.

What got me into competetive battling was the battle logs and the amount of skill showcased in them, pokemon seemed to be some form of complicated chess, but with a ton of different, highly customizable pieces instead. I wanted to become like those players, and be good enough that I could showcase my own battles. Over the last few years, surprisingly little has changed in that regard (and so you'll likely find me asking everyone for battles on the server)!

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
Username: Zaroas
- Experience in competitive battling: Around 4 years, been playing since around the release of Platinum. I used to frequent the Shoddy Battle/PO servers for PC and suspect tested Generation V.
- Favourite Pokemon(s): Heatran, Landorus-T, Mega Tyranitar
- Preferred playstyle/core: Balanced teams, sometimes more offensively oriented.
- Extra: I enjoy tweaking my teams until they're perfectly suited to my needs, as well as testing out new playstyles and sets.

-What's your inspiration and motivation to battle competitively?
My main motivation is honestly to just have fun. I enjoy creating new strategies, playstyles, etc. because it's a great hobby that I don't plan on giving up any time soon.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Username: Slayr231
- What's your inspiration and motivation to battle competitively?: I just got bored battling my friends in class. We kept trying to outdo each other and when I could beat anyone at my high school I figured this could be something I could get in to. I love the strategy behind it and hardly anything feels better than being able to stomp out teams with my grass team when I have the disadvantage.
- Experience in competitive battling: 2-3 years (ish)
- Favourite Pokemon(s): Competitively speaking, Breloom, Tangrowth, Volcarona, and now Rotom-W.
- Preferred playstyle/core: My favorite tier is monotype with my grass team. My favorite playing style is hyper-offensive.
- Extra: I'm pretty busy with college, so I don't know if I'll be able to do any tournaments, but I'm almost always up for a battle or two if I'm on. Just shoot me a VM and I'll reply back with whether or not I'm open. Oh, and I only do simulator battles, no wifi at my house.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
So hey guys, welcome to the club! I really enjoyed reading about the experiences you guys had. Also, I feel like hosting a tourney to kick things off soon, so maybe you guys could discuss on something new? perhaps some xy nerfs or so?

Last edited:

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
I would be up for a tourney! =)

In terms of nerfs in X/Y there are two major nerfs that i think of.
1. Weather (obviously)
2. Steel "resistances" or lack there of.

Most of us are probably familiar with the weather nerf, as all weather affects from an ability only last five turns in battle, as opposed to the whole match. I feel that this hampers weather teams a little. Now teams that rely on the sunny side, or the sandy side =p all the time actually have a clock which the player needs to be aware of in order to take advantage of the current weather.

Steel no longer resists ghost type moves (i believe) and dark type moves. A first glance this seems small, but i believe that this makes huge difference in some cases. A pokemon i can think of that this kinda nerfs is Metagross. While having decent defenses, it losing its resistance to dark type moves is definitely something to take into account. Also being able to hit a Scizor for nuetral damage on the switch in with Crunch or Dark Pulse is worth noting.

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 4, 2017
And that's where Aegislash falls hard. Since Steel-type no longer resists Ghost- and Dark-types, each will be super effective. Bronzong, as a Steel- and Psychic-type, will also suffer from Ghost- and Dark-types. Metagross also.

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
Also, i feel that the nerf to spore, while having less impact on the competitive scene than a weather nerf is still something to be noted.

Since grass type pokemon can not be put to sleep by spore, it can mess up strategies and allow free switches and set-up by a grass type, MegaSaur and Ferrothorn are good examples.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
im surprised none of you didnt mention jirachi. steel pokemon that could effectively switch in to either dark or ghost cant do so anymore e.g. scizor, heatran, etc. but i dont find anything too bad about it, just gotta find the right counter to your threats.

and spore isnt the only nerfed move, any powder move in general can't affect grass types and pokemon which has the safety goggles equipped.

also, what about the nerf to special moves?
-Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Surf and Muddy Water now have 90 BP instead of 95
-Heat Wave now has 95 BP instead of 100
-Fire Blast, Blizzard, Thunder, Hydro Pump and Hurricane now have 110 BP instead of 120
-Aura Sphere now has 80 BP instead of 90
-Dragon Pulse now has 85 BP instead of 90
-Overheat, Leaf Storm and Draco Meteor now have 130 BP instead of 140
-Hidden Power now has 60 BP instead of 70
they're obvious too, should ohkos now become 2hkos?

Last edited:

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
hmmm that is an excellent point that i overlooked when posting.

I've noticed that in some cases the drop in base power influences whether or not the target is ohkoed. If the move is 4x super effective then they pokemon will probably be OHKO'ed. Also, STAB or no STAB influences if the pokemon faints off the bat or does not.

Perhaps items that boost power, such as Life Orb, Choice Specs can be used to make up for that drop in base power?

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 4, 2017
Perhaps items that boost power, such as Life Orb, Choice Specs can be used to make up for that drop in base power?
Perhaps they can, but without them, OHKO's wouldn't be so easy to make. I mean, it doesn't look like a major drop in BP, but it makes a difference all the while. I actually did notice that where my Charizard's Flamethrower should have OHKO'd a Grass-type, it barely left it with health, but he still survived... I actually didn't notice those drops in power, however...

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
The nerf to stall, while not direct, is pretty huge imo. Steel lost it's Ghost and Dark resistance, of course, which is the first hit it took. Things like Skarmory, Forretress, Bronzong, Jirachi, Heatran, and Metagross really hate losing that, as they can't switch in on some of the things they had no fear of coming in on before. For example, Sp. Def Jirachi can't come in on Gengar and feel safe, same for Metagross with Tyranitar.

In addition to that, some HUGE wallbreakers were added. Aegislash, which imo is the biggest one, can really break stuff with it's mixed set. Then you have Magic Bounce Mega Absol, Mega Garchomp, Mega Charizard Y, all of which have crazy wall breaking capability with their mixed sets.

Then look at what we got in the way of walls this gen. Florges, Sylveon, Carbink, Goodra, Gourgeist, Avalugg.

The only usable ones (OU) being Florges, Goodra and Gourgeist imo. So 3 walls, all easily broken by the Pokemon I mentioned before, so not really any help.

And of course, the big one, Defog was added. This means that even if you run the epic Jellicent, all of your hard earned hazards can still disappear in just 1 turn, without anything to block it.

In my honest opinion, this gen is the death of full stall.

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 4, 2017
Steel lost it's Ghost and Dark resistance, of course, which is the first hit it took. Things like Skarmory, Forretress, Bronzong, Jirachi, Heatran, and Metagross really hate losing that, as they can't switch in on some of the things they had no fear of coming in on before. For example, Sp. Def Jirachi can't come in on Gengar and feel safe, same for Metagross with Tyranitar.
You know, I just realised... can't Bisharp switch into the Ghost- and Dark-types, being of a Dark-type itself?

Years
Username: Hikari10
Favorite Pokemon: Oshawott, Froakie, Sylveon (yeah I love cuties lol)
Experience in competitive battling: Around a year, but I'm still learning!

What's your inspiration and motivation to battle competitively?: My main inspiration to get into the competitive metagame was when I joined the PC battle server around last December (where my current identity there is Daikenki. I was previously also known there as OshyHikari, Hikamaru and Zeddawott among my many names I've used) and I participated in random battles where I managed to bring out the potential in Pokemon I've never even used competitively, plus I want to study the metagame so I can help with team assistance here in the future. Competitive play is something you need to plan and learn to get right, it's like a game of Russian Roulette.

On the topic of nerfs in X/Y, I have to say the Steel-type losing the Dark and Ghost resistance is one of the biggest ones because it gives some Steels like Jirachi, Bronzong and Metagross additional weaknesses, which could hamper their usage yet it now makes some Pokemon have a new strength to not have to rely on stuff like Focus Blast just to get past the average Steel-type. I know that Gengar will become popular in OU as a result since it doesn't have to rely on Focus Blast to hit most Steels for a fair amount of damage, plus Bisharp is finally getting a chance to shine for being the only Steel to still resist Dark and Ghost.

The weather nerf will also hurt a few Pokemon that rely on weather, and it means those playing with weather teams will now have to utilize a new way to make it work effectively. Mega Evolutions are also making a huge impact due to some getting usable abilities and some handy niches. Fairy-type even buffed strong attackers such as Gardevoir, Azumarill and Togekiss giving them new uses. Plus there's a really good new Eeveelution in Sylveon. I know that with all those Fairy-types running around, Dragons will have to play with new strategies since they can't just Outrage spam anymore.

Plus, I'm now happy that Defog has an additional thing going for it. Rapid Spin suffered a huge lack of effective users in OU so giving that same entry hazard-clearing effect to Defog makes clearing Stealth Rocks and the like much easier.

MidnightShine said:
and spore isnt the only nerfed move, any powder move in general can't affect grass types and pokemon which has the safety goggles equipped.

I also want to point out that Pokemon with the Overcoat ability are also immune to powder moves. At least that now makes this ability set apart from Magic Guard in a way.

Back