• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you could create a new pokemon type...

Shiva2932

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾Queen of Frost☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 10, 2021
If you could create a new pokemon typing, what would it be called? What would be it's strengths or weaknesses? Moves?

I'd think I would like to create the Crystal type. Weak against fighting, steal but maybe strong against fire and rock I can see quite a few pokemon. Many pokemon of this type would have moves to buff their stats.

Last edited:
Years
Still waiting for the sound type! We have so many Pokémon that would be good for it, like Whismur and Kricketot's lines. Strong against psychic and weak to water and ground, maybe??

NobleDragonite

Ace-Trainer No.5634623
Years
Well, I think a smoke Type would be interesting. Weak against water but with many benefits like Spirit Pokemon they have. Nebulak is a gas pokemon so it would go in that direction. With attacks like smogons smog attack or other various poison attacks would probably be his specialty. But of course there should also be TYPE specific attacks such as smoke barrier or oxygen deprivation, in the latter case the opponent would be dealt damage each round. As with the winding attack. That would be my idea.

Years
One thing I've noticed quite frequently is that new type concepts tend to revolve around things such as senses (sight, hearing, etc.) and unique manifestations of existing things (such as gold). However, I have never actually seen a Pokemon game delve into the concept of a colour-based type. If I could make a new type, it'd be the 'Chroma' type, and would revolve around the manipulation of colours. For example, an attack could involve the mixture of two colours representing two types of elements. A red-based attack could inflict burns on the opponent, while blue could cause freezing. This may sound quite overpowered with each colour connecting to another type of attack, however I'd weigh it down with some significant weaknesses and not too many seriously overpowered Pokemon (I also would try not to make it the region-centric type like fairy was in XYZ, because having a region focus on one type primarily is boring).

Chroma > Rock
Chroma > Ground
Chroma > Water
Chroma < Fire
Chroma < Fairy
Chroma > Electric
Chroma > Ghost
Chroma < Psychic
Chroma < Dark
Chroma < Grass
Chroma - Steel
Chroma - Fighting
Chroma - Normal
Chroma - Flying
Chroma - Ice
Chroma - Dragon
Chroma - Bug
Chroma - Poison

I also kind-of feel like if Chroma was to be added to any already-existing Pokemon's types, it'd probably be a secondary type, not to replace the Pokemon's first type. I don't remember off the top of my head any Pokemon who'd be a glaring fit for this type, so Pokemon with only the Chroma typing would have to be mostly brand new. Same with the moves, only a select few current moves would work well with the type, besides them it'd probably be all new stuff.

Unlike types like Fairy and Dark which have a general association to respective allegiances (fairy tends to represent good while dark represents bad), Chroma would represent quite a neutral perspective, much like the three starter types.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I feel like a Plasma type would be interesting. Like, any amorphous, energy based Pokémon like Rotom, Slugma, Cosmog, Ditto, etc.

Or we can always just get Double Fairy for funsies. (´▽`ʃƪ)♡

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I'd like to see a Sound type still in the future. I really think that would be the most likely new type to happen if they ever do add a new type in Pokemon. I also would think it'd be cool if they'd made a Synthetic/Manmade type that is for Pokemon that were made by humans/influenced by humans such as Porygon, Casform, Baltoy and etc.

SirDeoxys

Deoxys in a suit
Years
I'm no expert at competitive Pokémon battling or balancing, so bear with me here.

Photon Type:
When I was younger, I've had this idea for a new type being "Photon type".
It'd essentially be a stand-in for a "light type", but with a twist.

See, it's main aesthetic would be crystalline, light, energy, etc.
An example of a Pokémon that might fit this is say, the Porygon line. Most of the designs around this type would probably be Sci-fi based or "holy" based.
It would have a quirk about it where it's both weak to, and super effective, against Dark type.

Weaknesses:
- Dark (Because tiny bits of light aren't very good at lighting up the darkness)
- Water (Because the deep ocean is a very dark place.)
- Normal (Because blocking light casts a shadow. Don't question my logic, I was 9 when I made this type up...)
- Grass (Because photosynthesis.)

Super Effective Against:
- Dark (Because the little light there is still illuminates something.)
- Fire (Because the sun's light is brighter than that of a campfire's.)
- Ghost (Because in most media, it is said that "going towards the light" in the afterlife will put you to eternal rest, so I thought this made sense here.)

Not Very Effective Against:
- Ice (Since in the winter time, snow and ice reflects a LOT of light.)
- Psychic (Because you'd just be "enlightening" them, not hurting them.)
- Fairy (Because it's kind of already a "light" type.)

That's the basic idea at least.

Years
Let's see... I want it to empower the offensively and defensively weaker types and take down powerful defensive types...

How about the Jelly type:

Offensively, it is super effective against supreme defenders Water (absorbs it) and Steel (corrodes it) and also against Bug (stickily traps them), not very effective against the fragile Rock, Ice (both too hard to damage) and Grass (drinks it up).

Defensively, it is immune to Water, resists Ground (just gets shaken) and is weak to Bug (eaten by it), Electric and Poison (unstable molecular structure disturbed by electrocution or reactive chemicals).

Jelly-type Pokémon can't have their items removed (permanent Sticky Hold).

Gooey, squishy, gelatinous Pokémon would belong to it: the Goomy line and the Grimer line come to mind.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
I like the sound and light idea because we already have a bunch of pokemon we could retcon (jiggly, whismur, audino, chatot could all lose the normal type and noivern could lose the flying type for sound; necrozma at least for light)

I personally would like a type for space-related pokemon like clefairy, starmie, metagross deoxys, jirachi, solrock, lunatone, minior, lunala, solgaleo and so on. It could be something like cosmic (because of cosmic power)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
UltimatePlayerTwo, I just know Sigilyph and Xerneas would be chroma types. They have that rainbow/ colorful vibe. In my playthrough of White 2 I had a sigilyph named Chromia, and my team was basically light spectrum colors themed (azumarill, darmanitan, Galvantula, liepard, serperior) which also happens to basically be all of sigilyph's colors (except the purple)

Back