• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Boot screen editing on Pokemon FR/LG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
Years
OK well, this idea came from thex4s titlescreen tutorial on PHO, and thought I could try getting the platinum boot screen on my hack! so this morning I discovered PTC, because cyclone doesn't work, and NTME still has problems.
I think I'm NOT the first guy to put tiles on a boot screen, just the first to right a tutorial maybe..

But here it is, my tutorial!

What you will need:-
FR/ LG Rom
Un-LZ GBA
PAINT
PTC (Found attached on this thread or at WAH)
HEX EDITOR ( you won't need because I'll give you the offset)
APE
Advance map (I used it to get the right pallette)

Ok, so now pay attention!
Keep all the programs above open and ready
this can be confusing if your reading..

Step one
Open your ROM with UnLZ GBA, use 16 color and use black and white
look around 207 and export this image (click save as..):
1-6.jpg

Step 2
Now on paint open the image and add your tiles, I used the default pallettes that the image had... be sure to add the tiles at the end of the image, it's to keep good measure of the tiles being 8x8.

untitled-2.png

Step 3
now Import that new image back in,
Write to ROM it and press next, now click raw dump.
5-1.png

Step 4
Now open PTC, and go to file "Apri tileset", it means open, open your image from earlier, so this :-
umm.png

Now Go to file and click "Apri tilemap"
and select the raw dump from earlier.
The black on the right is NOT to be overwritten
Now, draw the tiles on the Tilemap.
and you should have something which looks like this when your done..

2-3.png

Step 5
Now, go to file, "Salva tilemap" (save tilemap)
and go to un-lz gba where you found the raw
Now go to file load RAW, Your new Tilemap should look different from the one thats in already.
Now write to ROM and re-point the image offset to a free one, so 800000 if thats free.

3-3.png

In game it should look like this....
ded.png

Step 6
Now load your ROM on APE and go to offset 0040226A
Copy and change the necessary pallettes
4-1.png

Finally it should look something like this:-
platinumromboot.png

Well this is the easiest I can put it, but if you don't understand send me a PM. :D

Last edited:

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
Ok but quick note

Don't palette edit the pure black palettes, that messes the tilemap and can crash the game at times.
By The Pure black tiles, how would you know which ones? Because they're many color(black) on the screen.

P.S. Boot screen editing? XDDDD(sounds like a computer..:\) Good tutorial! I've never thought of it that way before :p Thanks!

Years
By The Pure black tiles, how would you know which ones? Because they're many color(black) on the screen.

P.S. Boot screen editing? XDDDD(sounds like a computer..:\) Good tutorial! I've never thought of it that way before :p Thanks!
wow this is a awsome tutorial even cooley didnt even know about this lol neither did i .
im going to give this a go
anyway thanks

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
Years

I didn't know what to call it...LOL..idk!
But by the Pure black palette I mean
don't edit these ones with the red lines on the image below, because the just mess up the tilemap, even if they're unedited
dwedredredreq.png

wow this is a awsome tutorial even cooley didnt even know about this lol neither did i .
im going to give this a go
anyway thanks
Well I figured it out today, just by playing around with it, I mean Now there is probably possibilities for changing trainer cards etc.
so I recommend playing with Tilemaps and Images with a RAW image.
it's not exactly hard, It was inspired by the titlescreen background hack.

anyways good luck guys,

A quick note if you guys have a problem or want something explained in more depth, drop a PM and I'll change what I need on the tutorial.

Last edited:

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
It's a good guide, but people have been doing this for ages, it's not difficult. Also, I've never heard of that TileMap Editor. :o Now there like 5. >_>

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
Years
It's a good guide, but people have been doing this for ages, it's not difficult. Also, I've never heard of that TileMap Editor. :o Now there like 5. >_>

Yeah TheX4 told me him and baro are one of the few to have done it...but oh well..
I agree it's not difficult, but I wasn't sure if my tutorial was clear enough (I suck at tutorials I think)
But yeah loads of Tilemap editors out, but I grew onto this more than NTME and cyclone, I haven't got an error yet, it's just a better editor all round (sorry D-trogh and mewthree)
- NTME said I had over 10000 tiles so i couldn't use that... how can I have that much tiles if my image is like 312 x 8 -_-
- Cyclone doesn't work with my PC..and I can't be bothered to fix that again..
I still like Troghs and mewthrees tools, I just prefer this Tilemap editor to be honest :P

Like, this is a good tutorial and I think it will be very helpful.... (l)
Well same method is used to get title screen backgrounds, you just use the 2004 gamefreak image from the title to put your tiles on.
I may post more graphic based tutorials when I'm free..
it's basically like once you can do one..you can do them all really, you just gotta think of how editors read tiles, and how the tiles go onto the tileset image

Last edited:

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Hey Jake! This is a great and easy to understand tut! I just have a question, it it possible to keep the animation too? You know, where the little gamefeak logo appears behind the text?

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
Years
it's a different image and you don't need a raw for it,
but the animation stays fine
the gamefreak logo and text etc are found at the next number after the RAW of the boot screen in Un-LZ GBA, so 208/9/10

halowizard

I will END you
Years
error (I think)

in PTC, i loaded the image and then loaded the raw dum file from earlier and I get this error:

Si è verificato un errore durante il caricamento. Vuoi continuare ugualmente a caricare?
Yes No

Is that the "The black on the right is NOT to be overwritten"

loitraitim

Hoài Niệm Dấu Yêu
Years
in PTC, i loaded the image and then loaded the raw dum file from earlier and I get this error:

Si è verificato un errore durante il caricamento. Vuoi continuare ugualmente a caricare?
Yes No

Yeh, me too >"<
Can I help you?

mitchel1

Rom-hacker/scripter
Years
Hey Synyster_Zeikku thnx for this awesome tut ^^ i've finnaly invented how i can change it. Great work ^^
See here my boot screen for Pokémon Thunder Emblem ^^
11rt3ef.png

Cya
~Mitchel1

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
Years

Yes No

Hmmm, you shouldn't get that problem, try on another rom. and no it doesn't mean the black on the right is not to be overwritten. make sure you open the tileset then the raw...draw the tiles...It shouldn't come up with any errors, does you tileset use colors from the intro? because it should (I don't understand spanish..I'm guessing from my knowledge)

Hey Synyster_Zeikku thnx for this awesome tut ^^ i've finnaly invented how i can change it. Great work ^^
See here my boot screen for Pokémon Thunder Emblem ^^
11rt3ef.png

Cya
~Mitchel1

That looks great :) Awesome job

Da GaMeFrEaK

Farmer/Swordsman
Years
Ummm. I just happened to pass by your Forum as I was browsing through this place looking for someone who has the same problem I have. that's not the discussion right now, but i've been wanting to do the intro thing for a while and I'm glad I came across you. Where do you get the materials needed for this activity? I have UnLZ.gba, paint (Duh), a pokemon sapphire rom (again, DUH), and Advancemap 1.92.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back