• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen "Hello, just when you least expect it!" (Photo Albums)

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
In HeartGold and SoulSilver, you might remember a guy named Cameron. He was found in various locations in Kanto and Johto during certain days of the week. If you talk to him you have the option for him to take a picture of you and your party and the area you're in. Near his house in Cianwood City, there's an automatic camera that the player can use to take a picture anytime. Every now and then you can also take a picture with a Gym Leader and the Pokemon following you in certain areas. For example, on Fridays you can get a picture with Bugsy at National Park. There's a section in the PC where you can view the picture in a Photo Album.

It's been confirmed something similar will appear in Pokemon X and Y.

What did you think of this feature? Did/do you get picture taken often? Do you think it or something similar will be featured in future games too?

Although I thought Cameron was annoying and sort of creepy I really liked this feature. It's nice going through photos of my old teams and seeing all of the progress of my team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
While I did find Cameron himself quite irritating after appearing almost everywhere I go, it was always great taking pictures of my team. At every chance possible I'd take a photo, it used to be just so I could look back at them over time and just remember all of the places I had visited on my journey or seen. But now I use it as a method as seeing my whole team growing and evolving, to see how much progress I've made each time. While I didn't particularly like the photographer himself, it was a nfity feature and I'd welcome it back with open arms.

Years
I did get my photo taken with Cameron a lot, it was a really fun feature and you could even recall your current party at the time the photo was taken. I also liked being able to get my photo taken with the Gym Leaders as well.

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
I didn't use this feature a lot, but I really liked having Grass type Pokemon for the photo in Ilex Forest, Water and Ground types in Cianwood, etc. For the photos with the Gym Leaders, I took a legendary of their respective type.

It's one of those small things that make the game great.

Moose

Pokemon Master,
Years
I often got my picture taken, but not everytime I saw him. Anyway, I think it was a good addition to the game because it allows you to see your team growing and evolving. I look forward to seeing it again.

Years
Cameron was irritating while Photo feature was fun. Yeah I also took many photos and that always make me wonder why there way is entirely Random. You know when at GoldenRod I could only take picture with one Poke while at Cianwood all of my team was shown in the snaps

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I really liked this feature. I just kinda wished the album was bigger. I liked to take every picture I came across on my journey (not if I was backtracking though), then get all the gym leader ones with an appropriate pokémon at the front of my team (i.e. Espeon or Latias with Sabrina, because they're Psychic-types). But there was never enough room.
I did hate always having to make sure Steelix was in the right spot once I had 6 pokémon, as no others were taller than me. Although it was useful for keeping ugly HM slaves out of my beautiful pictures xD.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Just a reminder guys that this thread is for the discussion of the photography feature in HGSS and not X&Y. Any discussion regarding X and Y unfortunately doesn't belong here and so will be deleted.

Anyway, I loved the idea of Cameron and having him take photos of your team as you progress throughout the game. My favourite aspect of the feature would be having the ability to look over the photos that you've got taken and seeing your team actually grow and evolve over time. I think it was a fantastic feature. The only drawback I felt there was was the limited number of photos one could keep; I would have loved for there to be more slots or even an unlimited amount!

Reactions: T!M
Years
At first I found it super boring but in my current HeartGold playthrough I'm taking pictures every time I run into Cameron! It's a nice way to look back on my team and see how much it's changed.

Years
I liked it a lot. Like everyone else have said, I liked to see how much progress my team had made between each picture. If this feature does return, just having the Pokémon in 3D would be a massive improvement. I would love to see this.

Years
Cameron himself I found kind of creepy (I still think there's more than one of him a la Nurse Joy), but I did like the ability of taking pictures of your character and their party at different points throughout the game. It was neat seeing the progression of your journey, although I wish that we'd had more room to store our pictures- maybe at least one slot for each possible location that a picture can be taken at.

Years
Considering the guy's name is the same as mine, I took a bit of a liking to him. Plus I usually did take photos whenever he was around. It's nice to catalog the progress I've made (although there are notable gaps).

Plus, has anyone noticed that he appears in a whole bunch of places at once on any given day? And that he's allowed in Mt. Silver?

TreeKangaroo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Years
I hated Cameron. Please stop stalking 10 year olds, makes you look like a pedo. I wish he had a different character model so I could recognize him and not waste my time!

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
In HeartGold and SoulSilver, you might remember a guy named Cameron..

C'mon man! I still play SoulSilver! :P

I really liked Cameron. I liked the pun on he's name also. How ironic the guy that takes photos of you & your Pokemon is named Cameron. Hahaha.

Whenever i see him, 9/10 times ill get my photo taken. Doesn't take that much time. Sometimes ill even rearrange my party just so certain critters stand next to me. And every couple weeks i go through them. Speaking of which. He's at the daycare now. ;)

Years
I didn't really use this feature that much, all I could think of after encountering Cameron was, "damn, not you again." But that's probably because I've never bothered to look at anything other than my Pokemon in PC.

Years
I have tons of photos of Ethan standing beside his Pokémon, simply because I thought the feature was interesting for the games, and I certainly wish it was around in the 6th gen as well. Good to see something similar will be back! :)

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

It was a pretty cool feature for me and I did it quite a bit on my first playthrough, but after that it got kinda old and I really don't do it anymore.

Back