• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Children should be allowed to get bored

Years
Title taken right from this BBC article. It that says boredom spurs creativity. Being bored gets you to come up with your own stimulation instead of relying on a computer or game or television. It also implies that people who lack "interior resources" to deal with boredom could end up as vandals or other ne'er-do-wells.

So is boredom good for the kids? For their creativity or general upbringing? Should we have less outside stimulation? Is there some connection between lack of creativity and bad behavior?

Article is in the spoiler if ya want to read it.

Spoiler:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Well, even imagination requires props. Even if as simple as a box.

Should I have kids one day, I wouldn't have a problem with them watching TV or movies or playing games. 'Cause I certainly had all that as a kid. But, I also had toys. And I drew. And I had puzzles. Played in a tent. Made a fort. Etc. Increasingly, I've noticed that a DVD player or an iPad has become the toy replacement, when it really shouldn't. They're an accompaniment.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
I am so an expert on this I can't even start to...
Ok so, my answer is yes. Boredom does very much inspire creativity. In fact, most of my ideas for forum-skins and/or logos came from a point of boredom, mostly in class. Now putting it like that does make it sound like a bad thing, wasting my time in Physics class to think up a design. Regardless, that isn't the topic at hand here.

Boredom is not the lack of thought, as many presume, it's the lack of action. Sitting somewhere with nothing to do whatsoever, or perhaps trying to do something that the person at hand is not the least bit interested in. Cases like these do in fact stimulate our minds, cause us to think. The problem is that people tend to use times like these to think about their lives. Some reflect on their past. Some simply plan the rest of their day.

So in a sense, boredom can inspire creativity, but only if something that requires and/or accepts creativity is involved in the persons life. Again I'll take myself as an example, simply because I don't talk to people about what goes on in their dirty little heads. I myself am into graphics and web design. So naturally, when I have nothing to do, my mind tends to stray towards said topics. And because activities like these do include a certain amount of ingenuity which in turns calls for creativity (you can argue that the two are one and the same, but they really aren't), I tend to get creative. The craziest, yet most ingenious ideas (if I may say so myself) come to me when I have nothing else to do.

So yeah, point in case, it's possible, but it depends.

Years
Firstly I'll say this, boredom can spur creativity but it can also lead to reckless and/or destructive behaviour.

So, should we go out of our way to make kids bored? Whilst I think young kids are certainly better of with a box of toys and a drawing book than an iPad I don't see any reason to make sure our kids are bored. We should give them plenty of opportunities for simulation but that stimulation should require the use of their imagination or some thinking the majority of the time. But sometimes there's nothing wrong with playing with a mindless app to pass a couple of minutes time.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I dunno. For some kids it may inspire creativity but for others they might just watch hours of TV or go online. My sister personally watches hours and hours of TV when she has nothing to do and goes on Facebook, not create things, draw, etc. I dont think it works for everyone.

Years
Firstly I'll say this, boredom can spur creativity but it can also lead to reckless and/or destructive behaviour.

So, should we go out of our way to make kids bored? Whilst I think young kids are certainly better of with a box of toys and a drawing book than an iPad I don't see any reason to make sure our kids are bored. We should give them plenty of opportunities for simulation but that stimulation should require the use of their imagination or some thinking the majority of the time. But sometimes there's nothing wrong with playing with a mindless app to pass a couple of minutes time.
I don't think anyone thinks spending a few minutes with an app on an iPad is bad, but that if most of your time is spent on iPads or whatever then you're relying on those things to entertain you and stimulate you. I think the distinction they're trying to make is like one between giving a kid an mp3 player and giving them a musical instrument. They're got something to play with, but with one they're more passive and with the other they're more active.

I dunno. For some kids it may inspire creativity but for others they might just watch hours of TV or go online. My sister personally watches hours and hours of TV when she has nothing to do and goes on Facebook, not create things, draw, etc. I dont think it works for everyone.
I think the idea is that you're not "bored" if you're watching TV or on the internet since you've got outside stimulation that way. Even if you're bored of what you're watching, you're still relying on something outside of yourself to fill your attention instead of, as the article suggests, stimulating yourself from within your own head and creative efforts.

Years
... Boredom is not the lack of thought, as many presume, it's the lack of action...

That's a really insightful perspective! So using videogames/TV to solve "boredom" would deal with the lack of action, but encourage the lack of thought, making kids less creative? For a non-bored person, they're usually doing something they enjoy, so the need for both thought and action is satisfied. From this point of view, it appears that videogames/TV would satisfy action at the expense of thought. And procrastination would be satisfying thought without action! XD

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2013
I think being bored could encourage a creative person to do something creative but, as is evident from people I know, some cause trouble when bored simply to be doing something they find entertaining.

Back