• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Hypothetical Situation

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
What would you do if someone donated using stolen money or something of the sort?

Oh, and yes, this was geared towards staff.

Last edited:

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
But how would you know if the money was stolen? If staff did know I would guess they would take back the Supporter Status :/

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
I'd say the police (Or PayPal) would deal with the matter accordingly if the person was caught, otherwise no one would be the wiser. :/

Years
I don't think staff should be in charge of where people get the money from, it's your responsibility if your money was stolen or if you stole the money.

Years
I don't think staff should be in charge of where people get the money from, it's your responsibility if your money was stolen or if you stole the money.
If said person is found, they may be forced to return the money from their own pocket, but given that we're talking about a donation here, there's no asset to return, so I doubt that a minor sum would be extracted from the community.

Why do you ask? I love hypothetical situations, because they are rarely hypothetical in nature. ;)

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
Years
Obviously the thief would have the appopriat amount of money taken from them (if not more). The law doesn't have to take back each specific penny.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
If it were cash, I don't see why we'd have any way of knowing it was stolen. If it were a case of hacking a Paypal account (or stealing a credit card & using a Paypal account) and donating that way, it would be resolved through Paypal.

This only makes me curious why you would ask. o_O

Melody

Banned
Years
But all in all, that is not PC's concern. It is the job of Paypal itself to detect and investigate fraud especially when it is reported. PC and it's staff have no place within that process, and they probably won't even be notified if someone has committed fraud.

Rukario

Banned
Years
Actually we work with (and are notified by) PayPal's fraud dept (and other providers as well) whenever there is a questionable transaction.

As for cash and the like, usually local LEOs deal with it and, unless it was us reporting it, PC likely will not be contacted.

To answer the OP's question.. what would we do..
well If we found out it was stolen/fraud/etc, we'd try to get it back to who it belongs to and, well, the user that used it would likely be banned for fraud and their details could be turned over to the fraud peoples.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Relax peoples, didn't steal any money, and I'm not planning on it. Just a curious mind wanting answers.

Back