• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] New Evolution Methods?

pkmin3033

It'd be pretty cool if they could make it so that a Pokemon evolved when you docked/undocked your Switch and/or Joycons.

...I can imagine the shrieks of rage of those who bought a Switch Lite, but it'd still be an interesting game mechanic.

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
Years
New ones? Hmm i didn't think of it, but maybe consuming something? Like consuming certain amounts of Honey or other stuff makes it evolves? That's kinda unique

Years
Maybe a Pokémon that evolves when you catch more of the same species? Diglett and Magnemite should've evolved via this method imo, and the remaining two (since both are made up of three Diglett/Magnemite) should have disappeared to combine into one. And maybe leveling up after surfing on it often?? The Pokémon can evolve from something that's not the best swimmer to one that has honed its skills in the water. Would be interesting!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
please.............no more weird evolution methods............gamefreak i'm begging you

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 16, 2022
I don't want to see anything gimmicky ala flip your 3DS upside-down for Malamar, but Gen VI was going the right way with things like Eevee to Sylveon (knowing a certain type of move, not the amie stuff), and Pancham to Pangoro (have a Dark type in your party) would be cool to see. They're not gimmicky and wouldn't be too hard to achieve, and actually make some sort of sense lore wise.

the_fast_reader

Overanalyzing Pokemon for 20 years
Years
Evolution based on physical attributes like individual weight/height. In some games there was this guy were you could bring Pokemon you caught (usually magikarp) and he commented on their lenght/size and gave you a reward if they were big enough, so there was obviously some hidden stat that assigned a length/size to every Pokemon of that species you caught.

Make it related to that Pokemon lore, for example they live in packs and only the biggest/strongest gets to evolve and becomes pack leader.

To avoid it being frustrating, if they can evolve then they have a certain number of IV guaranteed, which ties back to the lore: if they're weak they would have had low IV anyway.

More evolutions related to lore in general: like mantyke should have become mantine with a remoraid in the party.

Evolution based on what you feed them to influence their stat, a bit like Tyrogue but maybe with some minigame to make pokeblocks/pokepuffs/potatoes/whatever.

ElBurrito

[COLOR=#0543a8][FONT="Press Start 2P"]I'm not just
Years
A pokemon that evolves into a ghost type via fainting would be kinda cool.

More weather based evolutions, like a grass type that needs to be exposed to harsh sunlight to evolve.

Maybe an evolution where the form you get depends on the type of pokeball the pokemon was captured in.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I agree that I'd rather not see one that involves stuff like flipping the console upside down - it's weird and not exactly fun nor obvious.

I also rather no more trade evolutions - we have enough of those by now and relying on needing someone else to trade is just a bother.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Ngl, I like gimmicky evolutions. But I agree with Inkay's evolution being the worst of those "gimmicky" variety.

Honestly, I'd like to see an evolution that requires to be in a Sandstorm/in a desert-like area to evolve the Pokemon. We've never seen a Pokemon that evolves this way. Maybe it'd be a good evolution for a Galarian Helioptile, or a new ground type. There are plenty of animals in the real world who adapt to harsher environments, and desert environments/sandstorms are QUITE a harsh area.

We've had Pokemon evolve in an electromagnetic field (Magneton to Magnezone, and Nosepass to Probopass), and Pokemon that evolve in a colder climate (Crabrawler to Crabominable), but never a sandstorm.

I also want an evolution that plays around with certain status problems, like a Pokemon evolving by leveling up while being poisoned? I could see this evolution type working for a first stage Grass Pokemon that becomes part Poison through this evolution method. I don't know, I think it sounds cool.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Nov 2, 2022
What if a pokemon was holding a cursed item when it fainted? ... Ghost Eeveelution

What if you have to have a shiny in your party?

What if it evolved at tea time?

Back