• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Small Writing Competition

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Small Writing Competition
Judged by bobandbill, Cosmic Fury and Cutlerine

Welcome everyone to the Small Writing Competition! Ready to write a story based on this year's prompt that will impress the three judges and the rest of PC? Great!

But first, a few rules to keep in mind.

Rules

1.) Follow PC's rules and Fanfiction and Writing's rules.
2.) The stories written for this competition must be completely new. In other words, they must not have been written before and not posted anywhere else until judging is over.
3.) You must PM your entries to all of the judges. (This is so if someone loses their PMs the others still have them and so forth). The judges in question are bobandbill, Cosmic Fury and Cutlerine. You also must post in this thread when you send your PMs so we can confirm you did send us an entry.
4.) One entry per member only, sorry.
5.) You have until 11:59 pm EST, July 10th to get your entry in.
6.) The story can be based on Pokemon or be original fiction. Note the judges may not all be familiar with any other fandoms.
7.) The entry can only be a completed one-shot as this is a small writing competition - no chaptered entries, please!
8.) Please don't publicly post your stories until the competition is over! Once the scores are posted and the competition is over, you may post your story in Fanfiction and Writing so that others may see it. Make sure to add [SWC] to your title if you do!

If you have any other questions, ask away!

Scoring

Each entry can have a maximum score of 30, with the points broken down into three categories equaling 10 points in total like in previous years. The categories are:

Spelling and Grammar
Characterization, Plot, and Description
Relevance to Prompt

The prompt is union/unity, so good luck with making use of that in your story!

Emblems
First Prize
TBA

Second Prize
TBA

Participant
TBA

Entrants:

EliteBeats
icomeanon6
Lowstah
AllergicProductions
PinkSapphire

Last edited:

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Nice prompt for just after July 4th, when us Americans were celebrating how we escaped union/unity with England! :D

I'm definitely in this year. Here's for a good contest, and may the best writer win!

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Is there no word limit/word minimum we need to abide by?
(Not on the staff this time, but answering anyway. :P )

Nope! It can be as few as your story needs, or as many as you can write in the time limit.

I suppose you'll want it to be at least as many as the post minimum for after the contest, so I'd advise somewhere between 25 and a million words. (Of course, Cutlerine's the only one here who can write a million words in three days, and he's judging this year.)

Good luck!

Cutlerine

Gone. May or may not return.
Years
Is there no word limit/word minimum we need to abide by?

Nope. Your story doesn't need to be ridiculously long, and we're not setting a minimum limit - though obviously a story that's very, very short might have a worse chance of scoring highly in all the categories. And a very long story might not fit well with the premise of a 'small' writing competition, as this is. So, in short: your story needs to be just as long as it needs to be to tell the story, but we aren't expecting you to pull a Tolstoy and enter a War and Peace.

EDIT: Alas, I have been ninja'd by icomeanon, but somehow all the sting gets taken out of it when the ninja incorporates a compliment. Or at least, something I choose to accept as a compliment. (On a side note, I can't do a million words in three days, but I can do fifty-five thousand, five hundred and forty. I counted.)

F.A.B.

Last edited:

Chalifoux

:: Certified Granblue Fantasy Nerd ::
Years
So yeah... entry submitted :3
Not like it's great or anything, but, yeah xD

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Alright, given the lack of entries so far, there's going to be an extension. Possibly two days minimum, depending on how many extra we get.

Please post what sort of time extension you would like to have, and/or if you are intending to enter so we have a better idea of interest! If you're not normally a writer, jump in anyway - do it for the fun/challenge of it!

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
34 minutes remaining until the original deadline, and my submission is in!

Interested to see how this one takes; I tried to go out of my comfort zone in a few ways and I'm hoping it pays off. :)

So come on, people, write stuff! It doesn't have to be Tolstoy, just give it a shot!

Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2014
I think I'd like to get in on this, too. I should be able to write a story by Monday night or Tuesday afternoon. The story might be a little on the serious side; I hope that's okay.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Good to hear!

At the moment, it's been extended by another three days (so the new deadline is 11:59 pm EST, July 10th), but it's a flexible deadline.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Thank god the deadline has been extended haha. I haven't even started yet because of time constraints and general laziness.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Got your entry.

Sure hope other entries come in soon, guys, the extension isn't worth much if only one other entry came in.

Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2014
I just realized the deadline was 11:59 pm EST, not PST. Whoops. I don't suppose you could excuse my idiocy and allow me to submit my entry before 11:59 pm PST (2:59 am EST)? It's taken longer than I thought, but I'm almost done. If not, oh well; there's always next year.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
I just realized the deadline was 11:59 pm EST, not PST. Whoops. I don't suppose you could excuse my idiocy and allow me to submit my entry before 11:59 pm PST (2:59 am EST)? It's taken longer than I thought, but I'm almost done. If not, oh well; there's always next year.
It should be fine, just crank it out quick.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
It is not a problem in the slightest. Send it away when it is done!

Going to have to put a formal close on the deadline, but if you suddenly have a story idea and write it out during the next day/were still working on your entry, we're still going to accept them, given the circumstances.

Back