• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Gary Edition![Pre Beta-1 Released.]

Should I release a Pre-beta?

• Yes

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years

g2ec4.png

Updates:

HACK POSTPONED
Not quiting, just postponing any further work on this hack.
I've asked to lock up the thread, ifyou have something to say, PM, don't post.

Pre-beta 1.2 Released

Some Bugs fixed, trainer backsprites added, and A battle with T in Pallet town.(Note, he is extremely tough and is not recomended untill Elilte Four is beaten.)

If you want a small, crappy title change, download Pre-beta 1.2.1.

Added Screenies from Pre-beta 2(Not finished yet...)

Pre-beta 1.1 Released
Don't get overexcited, just a minor bugfix that stops you from playing the game.. at all...
Thank Someperson2008 for pointing that out. Pre-beta 1.2 should come soon with Gary's Backsprites made by Chrispy. Also, the title screen
is reverted to normal.

Pre-beta 1 Released!
Ok, bug catchers, Pre-beta 1 is all about searching for the bugs.
This is only 15% of the game, so don't think it's over yet!
See attachments for the download. Anyone is free to use, but be sure to report any bugs!

Pre-beta 2.0 Plans
- Gary starts in his own home.
- Most of the bugs are fixed
- Some events to be added.(Still learning how to script XSE, so I'll have to wait until a full tut comes out to get the good stuff =p.)
- Backsprites added
- More rare wild Johto Pokemon in random areas.
- Johto Starters on Islands one, two, and three.(As wild pkmn.)
Redo Title Screen

Introduction:
I always favored Gary over Ash. I always wished there was a game that you get to play as Gary, see through his eyes, and defeat Ash once and for all at the Pokémon League! I've seen what we could do with rom hacking, and even though I'm not a pro hacker, I wanted to test myself, so I decided to make this hack.

Story:
Not far from Firered, just that you start leaving from a Sleepover at Ash's house, and Get ready to start your adventure! (Basically, for now its Ash's story slightly edited... for now.)

Rom Info:
Pokémon Firered (U)
Language: English, duh

Features:

• Play as Gary!(For the Female Sprite, I'll try to create new ones in later betas, but for now I'm focusing on Gary.)
  • Explore The Reigon of Kanto!(Kinda lame huh?)
  • Catch the Original 151 Pokémon! + Some from Kanto.(Again Firered had that... ok I'll add MORE Pokemon from Johto!)
  • Maybe added/edited Maps!
Screenshots:

titleus7.png
pokemongaryedition01wn3.png
pokemongaryedition02nd7.png

pokemongaryedition03ou5.png
squrfi6.png
g23mo4.png

Getting more soon.

Glitches/bugs:
If anyone knows how to fix them, Please say so.
pokemongaryeditionuw5.png

Sprite Problems... Not an issue.. for now at least.
Bold text is fixed
Green text means may not be worked on.
Red text means will be worked on later.
Blue text means what I'm working on now.
Orange text means the problem is not verified.
Purple Text means I don't know how to fix.

Bugs:
- the pikachu when you are greeted by oak on the info screen, is messed up,(Not sure how to fix)
- ash's sprite is distorted
- Game Freezes in Route 2
- Rival doesn't have a Pikachu after the first few battles

Tips in Game
- Don't take the Pikachu, you won't have any Pokemon...
- Catch a Mankey, or a Growlithe(I've put a Growlithe early in the game, somewhere...) to stand a chance against the rock-type.
- Take the Squirte.(It's Free!)
- More comming soon.

Banners:
qx70o9.png
By: Someperson2008
6enpxu.png
2j4oi1k.png

Team:
T

Help Requests

-Putting a Picture of Gary into the title screen.

If you can help with these, PM me/post for the latest version of Pokemon Gary Edition.(Everything I'm working on now is into it.)

Things to do before beta 1:
Bold text is done(maybe).
Green text means may not be worked on.
Red text means will be worked on later.
Blue text means what I'm working on now.
- Add new backsprites
- Fix glitches/bugs
- Add events
- Create Surf/fishing Sprites
- Fix Sprite Pallets
- Add new maps

Things NOT to do:
-Take The Pikachu(Results in Missgno On Purpose =p.)
-Whine about sprite problems.(This is the Pre-beta stage after all...)

Sorry If this hack/thread is noobish, this is my first hack, and I'm taking the time to learn scripting to add some more events.

Credits (The People who made this hack Possible!)
T- being in the Alphabet.Creation of the hack...
Chrispy- Making the much-needed Gary Backsprites.
Someperson2008 - Banners
FriendsRoxYourSox - Inserting Gary Trainer Backsprites.

Downloads:
See attachments below

Last edited:

Ryousha

Waiting for Gen 4 Remakes
Years
If you're going to do that, make the hack like the anime make the routes like long, I don't want to play the same game, cept just bunch of text edits, and playing Green.

Years
Like I said, this is my first hack, and I'm not a very good scripter.
I'll try to make the routes bigger, but I'll have to study scripting some more if I'm going to learn how to add trainers. I don't have much free time, so I'll be sure to include larger routes in later betas. The first beta will just be an edit, as I have said before.
Beta 2 will be additons like Pokemon, Area's, and hopefully trainers.

I'm basically a hacker-in-training right now, I can't do much. I can make the routes a bit bigger right now, but I wanna put time into making this game's edit stage(Text edits, Sprite edits, etc.)

NTA

Where?
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
pokemon: gary edition

do you plan on getting a team?

or is it a one person hack?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 26, 2022
Sorry for: -Not releasing a beta yet.(I'll release beta 1 sometime around 30~50% completion)
-Not yet including Gary's back/front sprites.(This will be included later on, for now, enjoy the crappy ripped OW's and run/bike sprites made with paint...)
-Not making an actual "hack", just basically an edit. I'll try to put as much effort as possible.
-Not being able to script.(Like I said before, still learning, Don't have a lot of time on my hands.
-(OMG another firered hack!) Gary's story is best described in Firered.
-Making a noobish thread.(Note: I am a noob at this... =p)
All and any help appreciated!

~T

P.S. I didn't put much effort into the thread, I wanna start hacking(or, technically editing 4 now...)

P.S.S. I'll take screenies ASAP after I change the introduction a bit.)

I don't think it's that big of a problem. I'm a noob to hacking too. Don't worry about it.
Oh and BTW you could just make the female character say a fire red sprite version of may? or ash's mom. jk about the second one. but seriously...

Also, I can make banners for you. Just give me an idea of what you want and I could make you one. It's courtesy, you don't need to give me credit or anything where you post it idrc.

Last edited:

Sweet Jasmine

s m i l e :)
Years
Well my hack Pokemon Nature the character is gary well im the first one haha but dont worry! i will put a hat on gary hehe!

Rob-120

~Revived~
Years
Didn't someone do this already? Not to be mean and all but I think I saw somewhere someone changed one of the pokemon games so that you play as Gar? I think it was a hack of either Blue or Red version...either way yours sounds better because of it being a GBA hack, but I think the idea is a little un-oringanal. But over all it sounds good. (I'm sorry for critizing so hard but its just what I think)

Chrispy

The one that didnt get picked
Years
If you wanted I could probably try to make a set of sprites for this.

Years
If you wanted I could probably try to make a set of sprites for this.
I already have the OW sprites. All I need are Gary's trainer back sprites, and to decide if I'm gonna change may's sprites.
I don't think it's that big of a problem. I'm a noob to hacking too. Don't worry about it.
Oh and BTW you could just make the female character say a fire red sprite version of may? or ash's mom. jk about the second one. but seriously...

Also, I can make banners for you. Just give me an idea of what you want and I could make you one. It's courtesy, you don't need to give me credit or anything where you post it idrc.
If you make a banner, you'll get credit, whether you ask for it or not.

Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2008
i think you sould show the pokemon walking around in the grass you know more realism ooh!and sometimes they dissapear!!!

Years
If Pre-beta gets released, In return I need:
Someone to post videos
More screenshots.
Bug reports.
ETC.

Pre beta realsed! See attachments at the top of the thread.
This is the time to report all bugs.
Note:Title screen isn't a bug, I rushed it and well... I'll fix it in Pre-beta 2/beta 1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back