• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How did you come to know Pokemon?

What was your first generation?

• Red, Blue, Yellow

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Gold, Silver, Crystal

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Black, White, Black 2, White 2

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • X, Y, Omega Ruby, Ultra Sapphire

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon, Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Sword, Shield, Brilliant Diamond, Shining Pearl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 17
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 23, 2022
I came to know Pokemon when I was 9, from my cousin's hand-me-down 3Ds. I had a DSi since I was 5, and when I got this shiny, purple 3Ds I was super excited. It came with 4 games: Mario Kart 7, and 3 games I had never heard of before; Pokemon HeartGold, Pearl, and Platinum. And even though it was about 8 years after those games came out, I played them and thought they were really fun. But as I said, they were 8 years old, so I never beat them because I was too distracted with all these new 3Ds games. The next year though, I saw an ad for a brand new game I knew I had to have: Pokemon Sun and Moon. After my 10th birthday, I used my birthday money and bought myself a copy of Pokemon Moon. And I loved it.

Years
I know Pokemon almost my whole life. I played it on the gameboy color with my older cousin. Since that time my heart was sold to pokemon.
Pokemon is known to bring out 2 different types of the same generation ( like Gold and Silver, Diamond and Pearl and so on) , so we used to buy a game each.
Lots of memories. Like we driving for vacation from the Netherlands to France and we playing pokemon in the car.

Years
Crystal version. it was my brother's copy at the time and i was only allowed to play for brief periods (he was kinda weird about me playing it, idk). i was already somewhat familiar with pokemon due to the anime but i wanted to experience the games side of things, so i started with Crystal version to "get to know" the series more, until i got my own copy in Ruby version.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Technically played one of my brother's friend's Emerald games while waiting for my sibling to be done with dance class since ours were right after eachother's. I had recently learned about Pokemon around then, it was during 2007, I was 10. I knew about Pokemon before 2007. First heard of it in either 2003 or 4? But it fell from my brain quickly after that until 2007.

The first game I owned as my own though was Diamond on May 22nd, 2008. Yes, I remember the exact date.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I never was able to watch pokemon during my childhood, there isn't any shows featuring that and only get my interest is trying to get a hands on approach.

First game was Silver/Gold that time when it was available to buy in my country, I think that was at a very young age

Years
My cousin's DS. I borrowed that thing 12 hours a day to play Diamond. Luckily for me they didn't care much for it lol.

Years
Started with the wonderful (and glitch-filled) RBY in the late 1990s! I'd just moved to the US at the time and couldn't speak English. Everyone in my class was into Pokémon and they motivated me to play (and watch) it too. The games helped me learn English and I've been a big fan since. :D Since gen 3 I've never not gotten a main series game more than a week after its release date. <3

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Dec 29, 2021
I started with Battle Revolution on the Wii which was a long time ago!! My first game on the DS was Pokemon White with it's very limited Unova only decks. Have been hooked ever since!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
for me, it started with the TCG and then anime. Not a lot of kids where I lived had the fancy Game Boys, so we didn't really play those games until we were 13 or so.

Years
I was 7/8 and my cousin introduced me to pokemon diamond. he's 3 years older than me. since then i started loving pokemon. he left after heart gold. i m still playing lol. the only games i skipped were oras and sun/moon. I did play also gen 3. gen 4 is still my fav lol. he kinda did all the game for me lol and i had no clue on how to play lol

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
When I was in 7th grade Pokemon was all the rage. Several students would bring their trading cards to school and break them out at lunchtime.
I thought the idea of it was stupid until I turned an episode of the anime on one afternoon deciding to become an informed hater and went in the complete opposite direction.

My best friend had Pokemon Yellow and would constantly tell me when she'd catch a new Pokemon and what nicknames she gave them etc. One day when I was over at her house she actually showed me and that was the last straw. I had to have it. When my mom picked me up I asked her for it and she agreed.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
The TCG had just come out here in the US and I was in 5th grade so everyone was playing. I also started with Red when we got the games.

sabrina_diamond

Blazing dark Vulpix
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I played Pokemon Blue on PC at my cousin's house, and watched Pokemon: Indigo League anime on tv!

Years
  • Age 19
  • SC
  • Seen Feb 2, 2023
When I was maybe 6 or 7, my neighbor had a copy of Platinum that he'd let me play when I visited. I became obsessed and always asked my mom to get me a Pokemon game. Sure enough, she gifted me Pokemon White shortly after it came out.

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
Years
Some kid in kindergarten brought in Pokemon cards and we were really intrigued by them, so we started collecting the cards and began renting the DVDs and books from the library (we've never had cable), and we begged the parents for one of the games until on our seventh birthday we finally got a GBA with Emerald and Pokemon Pinball.

Years
Anime + TCG all the way back in elementary school.
Everyone was into the cards at school and watched the Anime =P

As for the games: RBY, but my introduction to them was after the above.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
I saw a family friend playing the game, he told me about how to pirate it (way back in the early 2000s) and here we are

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
Pokémon as a series was always popular. I came to know it by watching some of the old episodes on TV. Afterwards, I constantly begged my mom to buy me episodes of the Indigo League until I've seen all of them. Afterwards, I learned that Pokémon existed as a game series where you can catch, train, and battle using your own Pokémon. As a result, I begged my mom to buy me a Nintendo to play Pokémon games. My first game that I obtained was Pokémon Black and my first system was a Nintendo DS, both of which I still have until this day. The rest is history. I had old family members that passed down their old systems to me, such as their Gameboy Color and N64, which is how I was introduced to the older generations and games such as Pokémon Stadium. As I said before, the rest is history.

dewitlykefire

Dew It Lyke Me
Years
The first time I came across Pokemon was when a family member of mine came home with Pokemon Blue and it made me jealous, making me instantly become his real-life rival and getting Pokemon Red.

Back