• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hardest battle you've had in any Pokemon game?

Years
For me, it'll have to be Red. I don't know why, but I can remember my Pokemon being in the lower 60's and Red's Pokemon being in the higher 80's and lower 90's...

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Ya that was always a pain. Are you talking in the Gen2 remake or Gen 2 itself cuz Gen 2 itself was easy.

My hardest battles were against Whitneys Milktank. God was that hard

Basic_Psyduck

Things aren't real!
Years
  • Seen Nov 7, 2014
Took me a few days to win against Misty, playing nonstop - except some toilet and meal breaks - for like 8 hours a day, in my very first time battling her in PKM BLUE, which was also the very first PKM game I played when I was 8 or 9. Thought games were designed for people to win easily and did not take it seriously at all. Misty was the first tough enemy I fought, and the Starmie's Bubblebeam owned my team in an instant, giving that it had taken me quite an effort to finish Staryu before that.

Those were the days when only the animation of Water Gun, the moving pixels, the gym fight music and the irritation from hopeless attempts to win could haunt me in my dreams. After that there were a few more challenging battles, but the first experience is always the best.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
My toughest battle was against Steven in Pokemon Sapphire. Even though our teams were evenly match in levels it still took me 4 days of trying to actually beat him.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
For me, it'll have to be Red. I don't know why, but I can remember my Pokemon being in the lower 60's and Red's Pokemon being in the higher 80's and lower 90's...

Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't played Gen 2 in a long time, but I believe that Red's highest level is his Pikachu, which is 81. Still very hard, though.

For me, the hardest battle would be in Pokemon Ruby, against Tate & Liza. The highest leveled Pokemon I had was a Tentacool level 36, that I just caught (Haven't even sent it once to battle). I was unable to beat them until I really trained hard, but since I wanted to progress further into the game (First time playing 3rd generation), I didn't want to waste much time on training. So yeah... very hard battle xD

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Red was the hardest battle I've had without a doubt.

Years
Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't played Gen 2 in a long time, but I believe that Red's highest level is his Pikachu, which is 81. Still very hard, though.

For me, the hardest battle would be in Pokemon Ruby, against Tate & Liza. The highest leveled Pokemon I had was a Tentacool level 36, that I just caught (Haven't even sent it once to battle). I was unable to beat them until I really trained hard, but since I wanted to progress further into the game (First time playing 3rd generation), I didn't want to waste much time on training. So yeah... very hard battle xD

http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/red.shtml

Turnip

Magnificent Turnip
Years
I don't really remember having particularly hard battles in the Pokémon story, I think I used to over-level my team quite a bit - and I definitely do now. I guess my hardest battle in any of the stories so far would probably be something with Dark Lugia in RoL.
I think the actual hardest battle I've had was probably in one of the few times I played with a friend after Gamesharking platinum. We both battled it out with legendaries, can't remember it entirely. I think one of us won out by using Darkrai's sleep moves, can't remember who actually won though.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
For me the one gym I struggled the most was with Iris in White. I had no high level dragons or any Pokemon with ice attacks. Even my high leveled Dewott (at 58) couldn't win. I lost 5 times. One of the hardest gym I had to face, all my Pokemon where getting knocked out in one hit, before I could even attack them. Then I realized that Dewott could learn Blizzard via HM. (I have to update my trainer card, I haven't done so in so long, I have all 8 badges now, majority of my team hasn't changed, Servine did evolve to Serperior)

My other hard gym was in Black 2, with Roxie, kept loosing fast with all my Pokemon getting poisoned. Back then I didn't have strong Pokemon either, no fire types. Didn't trade Pansear after the gym battle in Castelia City.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years

Amen. Tate & Liza were the bane of my existence. I never gave their gym much thought since I figured I'd get there, beat them, and leave, but it was never that simple.

Years
The only two battles that I can ever recall struggling with were against Ghetsis in White, and Roxie in White 2. Both times I tried to face them with teams at a type disadvantage, but even after I lost, I was still too stubborn to change my team around. I think I lost to each of them 3 or 4 times before beating them with the same teams (with a lot of help from healing items).

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
For me, it's Lucian. Between him and Cynthia, I had used all 23 of my revives. (In Diamond and Pearl) Another one is Elesa, and her annoying volt switch. Tate and Liza were also nightmares to battle. Also, Colress was hard for me to battle if I forgot to bring my fire types.

Years
I've had several close calls, but that was just me using strategies or something.

For me, it would probably be Ghetsis in Black, his Pokemon kept KO'ing my team, forcing me to use Revive after Revive (and maybe even a Hyper Potion here and there) and it was down to just his Seismitoad and my Samurott. I manage to defeat him in the end but oh god that Hydreigon was such a rough thing, and I had trouble hitting it super-effectively. N would have to come in second thanks to the fact he leads with Reshiram/Zekrom and also has a powerful Archeops that I struggled against a lot thanks to the fact it was fast and hit hard.

Iris in Black 2 was almost as hard, as I had very little that could counter her Pokemon and I was surprised that after her Haxorus hit my Lucario with a Dragon Dance-boosted Earthquake, he did not get one-hit KO'd and I managed to defeat her. But oh god Earthquake caught me off guard.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Uhh...I dunno...well, only 3 battles really were a challenge...OK. Here it goes:

1.Red. G/S/C/HG/SS. Really...he's strong, isn't he? Well, I could beat him, only 3 times. Really, only 3 times...I had to use Hyper potions and Max revives all the time...O_O
2. Ghetsis. BW. OK...his team was a challengee, BUT I could beat him in my 3rd battle because my friend traded his Rayquaza for my ChanseyLugia for a while.
3. Whitney G/S/C/HG/SS. DAT MILTANK!

Chaos Fork

Anything Goes
Years
I found Red kinda easy, even with my team only being lv70+
I admit, my hardest battle was the gen 5 elite 4. ALL OF THEM. (Except Shauntal, he (or she whatever) was easy.)

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
the Last battle with Blue in the original Pokemon Red was a major pain in my ass and it took me atleast a week to beat red in the original gold back when i was a kid other than that never had a battle too tough

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2013
Hardest one that was fare and not just me going against some super leveled character? Lol I think it was the hardest and most fun battle I ever had. Cynthia in white. I lost quite spectacularly to her once so I came back after a bit. I used samurott 76 haxorus 67 bisharp 69 volcarona 74 kyurem 78 beheeyem 63. We were just going back and forth and I had no revives. It was like real serious equal matched battling. So exhilarating. In the end with just 29/180 hp left, beheeyem managed to get one last thunder shock in to finish her milotic. The milotic shot my beheeyem down to 29 hp from 180 with a single water pulse and my beheeyem moved second. I was so scared the bar would keep dropping. I was thinking no no no no please stop please stop please stop!!! Such an amazingly satisfied feeling afterwards.

Back