• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there a script command that changes text speed?

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Just like the question says. Is there a pb_____ or Kernel.pb_____
or anything I can use in an event to change the text speed like you would in the options menu?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
The Options menu uses the following two lines:

Code:
             $PokemonSystem.textspeed=[COLOR=Red]value [/COLOR]
             MessageConfig.pbSetTextSpeed(pbSettingToTextSpeed([COLOR=Red]value[/COLOR]))
...where value is (0=slow, 1=mid, 2=fast, 3=unstable superfast).

I believe value 3 will cause game-crashing hanging during battle. By default the speed is 2, and only a prat would make it slower.

So no, there's not really anything you can do about it.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
The Options menu uses the following two lines:

Code:
             $PokemonSystem.textspeed=[COLOR=Red]value [/COLOR]
             MessageConfig.pbSetTextSpeed(pbSettingToTextSpeed([COLOR=Red]value[/COLOR]))
...where value is (0=slow, 1=mid, 2=fast, 3=unstable superfast).

I believe value 3 will cause game-crashing hanging during battle. By default the speed is 2, and only a prat would make it slower.

So no, there's not really anything you can do about it.

Thanks thats perfect. I found these lines in the PokemonOptions script section but wasn't sure if they were what I needed.

I have this scene where a lot of text is going down the screen and wanted to make it go slightly slower no matter what the text speed is set at. This worked perfect as long as I set it back to 2 after.

Now I really want to try out this "Unstable Superfast" speed :D

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
While it's obviously a daft thing to change the text speed, a player may do so. You'll probably want to record the value of $PokemonSystem.textspeed before you make your changes, and set it back to that value at the end, just to keep what the player chose intact.

Alternatively, there's the message command \ts[X], where X is a number (or blank for instant). In this case, values of X include 3 (slow), 2 (mid), 1 (fast) and -2 (unstable superfast). The number is actually the number of frames to wait between displaying successive text characters (or if negative, how many characters to display per frame).

Back