• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen "I choose you, ___________!"

Which starter did you choose?

• Total voters

Guy

just a guy
Years
387.png
390.png
393.png
152.png
155.png
158.png
Decisions, decisions. One of life's hardest choices was figuring out what starter Pokémon you were going to choose. Between DPPt and HG/SS, we were given quite an excellent set of choices. So a common yet simple question from me to you is, which ones did you choose?

In Diamond and/or Pearl did you choose the fan favorite Piplup? Or maybe you preferred Chimchar or even Turtwig instead.

In Platinum did you go by the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and choose the same starter you got in DP or did you go for a different starter amongst the three?

In HG/SS you were given a pretty familiar choice that many of us have had to choose from before. Was it Cyndaquil, Totodile, or Chikorita that you chose?

And then there's the "Other" where you ditched your starter and went for something different as your main beginning Pokémon. I'll admit, I've done this a few times in the past when starting a new file on DPPt and HG/SS. Did you?

mikey

Discord Lead
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
In my Platinum game, I chose Chimchar because I love all his evolutionary stages and I never really choose the fire types for my starter so it was a nice change.

In my Heartgold I chose Totodile because he's awesome and water types help a lot :3

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Piplup for Pearl and Platinum, and Chikorita for SoulSilver, just like when I played Crystal as a little girl!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I can remember choosing Totodile form the very beginning of the Gen II series with GSC and the nostalgia that totodile had for me was compeling enough for me to choose it yet again in HGSS. Platinum I personally didn't own but coincidentally in Diamond I chose the water starter, being piplup. I eventually tried all three starters out, and found that I prefered Chimchar --> Infernape much better.

Years
I loved the Fire Starters this gen.

I chose Chimchar in Pearl/Platinum and Cyndaquil in SoulSilver.

Chimchar cos I love monkeys (and my Chinese Zodiac sign is the monkey) while I chose Cyndaquil after getting inspired by Dawn in the anime.

Yeah, 4th Gen was the only generation in which I didn't choose the Water Starter.

Years
  • Seen Jun 29, 2012
When I start Diamond I'll probably choose Piplup. But in HG I chose Chikorita

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I played Diamond 3 times, starting with a different starter each time. In Pearl, I went with Infernape. In Platinum, I went with Piplup in my old copy, but went with Turtwig in my new one.

In HeartGold, I started with Totodile; in SoulSilver, I started with Lugia.

Years
  • Seen Jun 29, 2012
I played Diamond 3 times, starting with a different starter each time. In Pearl, I went with Infernape. In Platinum, I went with Piplup in my old copy, but went with Turtwig in my new one.

In HeartGold, I started with Totodile; in SoulSilver, I started with Lugia.

Did you do that with a ROM?

Years
In Platinum I ended up chosing Piplup, Heart of Gold I chose Chikorita, and Soulsilver I chose Cyndaquil. I like all starters in this gen but probally not turtwig.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
First time through, it's always fire, fire, fire! I usually always pick Cyndaquil when I restart HGSS. As for DPPt though, I end up ditching my starters, if I ever bother restarting the game that is. Although technically, I bought DP on the same day and started them that day as well, but I started Diamond first and got Chimchar. However I do prefer Piplup, but that's not saying much cause I just dislike them all lol.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
For Platinum I chose Piplup because it was the best of the three and Empoleon looks boss.

In SS I went with Cyndaquil, my old reliable standby. Typhlosion served me quite well in the originals and in Colosseum. Why not go with it again?

Actually, both were pretty easy choices :P

Years
I chose Cyndaquil in Heart Gold, because the first two times I played through the original I went with Chikorita and Totodile, so I thought it would be fun for a bit of a change.

I also went with Piplup for Platinum, as the last two games I started (HG and Fire Red) were with the Fire and Grass typer starters respectively, so I figured Water was the best choice.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Fire starters all the way through. I've always loved Fire type Pokémon and all their moves, so it's also usually Pokémon of that type I choose as starters. Chimchar is also one of my favourite starters of all, and it's just simply great. Great design, great typings and great movepool, and in the anime, Infernape was just a pure badass. So yeah, I almost always chose Chimchar.

droomph

weeb
Years
Yes.

I chose Turtwig and Cyndaquil.

This was initially for the benefits (Turtwig and Cyndaquil both have the most type advantages against the most Gym Leaders) but eventually, independently, they have both become some of my favorite Pokémon.

It's okay, you don't have to believe a word I say.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2013
I ended up choosing Chimchar during my first playthrough of Pearl, since I found it the cutest at the time.
During HeartGold, I went with Totodile since I recall picking Cyndaquil in Crystal, and I wanted to try something else. I immediately fell in love with it, and it is now my favourite of the Johto starters.

Back