• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Pokemon White Team Movesets

Years
Hello everyone, I need some help with my Pokemon White team. I feel like my team is pretty well balanced (could be wrong) but I'm not very happy with some of the movesets I have on my Pokemon, which is why I need some suggestions on here. Here is my team:

Excadrill Lvl 63, Jolly nature (just added to my team)
Brick Break
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Metal Claw

Samurott Lvl 82, Jolly nature
Scald
Ice Beam
Surf
X-Scissor

Eelektross Lvl 81, Calm nature
Crunch
Toxic
Flash Cannon
Thunderbolt

Archeops Lvl 81, Lonely nature
Thrash
Fly
Rock Slide
Shadow Claw

Volcarona Lvl 82, Adamant nature
Psychic
Quiver Dance
Flamethrower
Bug Buzz

Hydreigon Lvl 85, Sassy nature
Crunch
Dragon Rush
Work Up
Dragon Pulse

I'm trying to build a team for competitive battling with my friends. So if you have any suggestions for ANYTHING that could help me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Detailed answers please.

Years
Excadrill has a good nature for that moveset. Although swords dance can be helpful, Excadrill does not have very good defense so it might not be able to take many hits. You need things that will hit fast and hard. I would say to change that out for something like rock slide or shadow claw.

Samurott has a nature that reduces special attack, yet you have 3 special moves? You need to change those out for physical water moves like aqua tail, razor shell, aqua jet, waterfall, or dive. Also, the move revenge could be good too.

Eelektross doesn't have a very good nature for physical attacks, sadly. Unless its attack stat is still high, crunch might have to be changed out for something that is a special attack. You could teach it a move like grass knot, since that is a special move and you seem to be lacking any type of grass move in your team.

Archeops has a good nature since it has a crazy good base physical attack stat. I don't really like the move thrash, so I would change that out for something else like dragon claw.

Volcarona has a bad nature for all those special moves. But since its base special attack stat is so high, it probably doesn't even make a difference. Apart from that, the moveset is good.

I don't really like Hydreigon's nature. Anything that lowers speed can't be that good. Also, you should teach it mainly special attacks because its base special attack stat is higher than the physical. If you want to keep a physical dragon move, then consider teaching it outrage instead of dragon rush. Outrage is a REALLY good move but be careful, it causes confusion after the rampage. I'm not really sure when they made it a dark/dragon type and then have its base special attack higher, it can't learn any special dark attacks! I guess since it gets STAB from crunch, that could stay in the moveset.

Years
Excadrill Lvl 63, Jolly nature (just added to my team)
Return
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Rock Slide

Rock Slide will work better since STAB Metal Claw equals Rock Slide in power and accuracy and has worse coverage. Return is more powerful than Brick Break if Excadrill has maximum happiness.

Samurott Lvl 82, Jolly nature
Aqua Jet
Aqua Tail/Waterfall
Revenge
X-Scissor/Megahorn
Priority Aqua Jet somewhat bypasses Samurott's lackluster speed. Aqua Tail is more powerful, but Waterfall is more reliable. Revenge for coverage and is useful against faster enemies. Megahorn is more powerful, but less accurate than X-Scissor.

Eelektross Lvl 81, Calm nature
Grass Knot
Flamethrower
Flash Cannon
Thunderbolt
Since your Eelektross has a nature that is detrimental to its Attack, best to use more Special Attacks.

Archeops Lvl 81, Lonely nature
U-Turn
Acrobatics

Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Earthquake
U-Turn lets Archeops escape from troublesome Pokemon that would activate its Ability while dealing some nice damage due to its impressive Attack. Acrobatics is stronger than Fly when Archeops isn't holding an item except for Flight Gem which will make it hit like a monster for only one time, so use it wisely! Stone Edge is more powerful, but less accurate. Earthquake gives better coverage than Shadow Claw.

Volcarona Lvl 82, Adamant nature
Psychic
Quiver Dance
Flamethrower
Bug Buzz
Good moveset, my Volcarona in my game runs this same set, sadly wrong nature. : [

Hydreigon Lvl 85, Sassy nature
Crunch
Dragon Pulse
Draco Meteor/Outrage
Taunt/U-Turn/Fire Blast/Surf
Not the best nature, but allows you to run a mixed set on Hydreigon. Draco Meteor will hit the opponent, as long as they're not Steel types, hard, but it will make your Hydreigon's Special Attack go down. Outrage won't hit as hard and is more reliable, but it locks your Hydreigon into the move and to top it off, makes it confused after. Last move is honestly filler. Taunt will work best to stop Pokemon that wall you, but U-Turn allows you to get out while doing damage. U-Turn will be useful to help you switch out after a Draco Meteor if you choose to use that move. Fire Blast will be useful against Steel and Bug types that threaten to stop Hydreigon's reign of terror. Surf is reliable and has great coverage.

=======
Team is really offensive heavy, so I would look into maybe replacing some Pokemon with more defensive choices such as Ferrothorn or Jellicent if you like Gen V Pokemon. I would also look into replacing either Excadrill or Archeops since they're redundant with similar movesets. Note that you can't put Excadrill's ability to good use without Sandstorm.

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Volcarona really doesn't like that Adamant Nature. Go get a Timid or Modest one because otherwise it's useless. Samurott is pretty meh as a Pokémon in general - I'd suggest you to swap it out with sometime more useful ie Rotom-W, or Swampert. And we're going to need EV spreads and items as well if you want a good rate.

@Theobald: Brick Break is viable for checking other Air Balloon Excadrill, but apart from that X-Scissor or Return is more sufficient.

Back