• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
You could swap Trainer Titles, for example if you want to make the Champion play the Team Leader theme and vice-versa, you could rename 'Champion' to 'Team Leader' and vice-versa, as the game doesn't read the title but the offset.
Like said above I guess you could swap the trainer titles... But if I'm right you need knowledge on ASM to change the trainer battle music.
Yeah, I'm in FireRed at the mo and I want to make the Hoenn trainer music play with normal trainers. The musics already in the game which is great... but I'll have to start ASM hacking for that, then... great... if anyone's there who can give me some pointers... :P

Silent Crest

Celestial Shine
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 29, 2012
Sorry for noob and general question. If I want to make a new region with new maps, plotline, etc. from a base ROM, is this the right place? Or do I start from scratch?

In any case, where can I find some helpful links? [Besides the ones that are already stickied?]

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
Uhm. Hey, I have a question. I'm trying to have it so a character in Oldale will give you a Carvahna egg, but I've run into a problem. I don't know how to put it into the ROM (I'm using Ruby). I use AdvanceMap, and PKSV. I think my main problem is finding an offscript.

The code:
Code:
#org
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x828
if 0x1 jump @done
message @want
boxset 5
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 jump @haveit
message @dontwant
boxset 6
release
end

#org @haveit
giveegg CARVANHA
fanfare 0x13E
message @yes
boxset 4
waitfanfare
#raw 0x68
setflag 0x828
message @afteryes
boxset6
release
end

#org @done
message @hey
boxset 6
release
end

#org @want
= Hey, do you want this egg? \nI'm not one for Pokemon myself. \l Won't you take it, \v\h01?

#org @yes
= Here you go!

#org @afteryes
= Please raise it well. Show it to me \l once in a while, won't you?

#org @dontwant
= Oh.. Maybe someone else will take it. \nNot like I wanted you to\lhave it anyway.

#org @hey
= How's it been? Looks good.

Also, I'm fairly new to script, so sorry for obvious mistakes. Thanks in advance.

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
@Hi-Techneon: Again, thank you, but it didn't really answer my question.
My main problem is that after modifying the Healing Places Table to point to my custom map, I no longer show up in front of the nurse like I should upon fainting. Instead, I end up like this.
pokemonfirerederror.png

Any suggestions?

rune_reaper

Black Rock Shootah
Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2014
Need Help with Overworld Sprites

Okay, so this is my first time hacking and I'm utterly confused by the "palettes".

To start, I'm trying to import an overworld sprite into the ROM, but when I do, it changes the colors of other overworld sprites. I figure it has something to do with palettes, but I have no idea how to get the color to be correct. So if there's any way to help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2016
someone someone please tell me how to change where your character will start at in the game? Like where he'll begin his adventure

dr4g0n12

Δράκος
Years
Sorry for noob and general question. If I want to make a new region with new maps, plotline, etc. from a base ROM, is this the right place? Or do I start from scratch?

In any case, where can I find some helpful links? [Besides the ones that are already stickied?]
I do not know how to explain this, but that is what ROM hacking is. You must know how to use Advancemap, a script editor/creator of your choice (most people use XSE), Unlz gba, ect. This list of tools could go on forever. You also need IMAGINATION

someone someone please tell me how to change where your character will start at in the game? Like where he'll begin his adventure
Use a tool called SMCA. It can be found in Hackmew's tool Factory in the toolbox section of the ROM hacking forum.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2016
i want my hack to start with a "cutscene" so would i put the script square in advance map on the place where the player starts(in front of the tv)?

Years
@Hi-Techneon: Again, thank you, but it didn't really answer my question.
My main problem is that after modifying the Healing Places Table to point to my custom map, I no longer show up in front of the nurse like I should upon fainting. Instead, I end up like this.
pokemonfirerederror.png

Any suggestions?

I'll try to answer correctly this time :)
Has the nurse the same X and Y position like in a normal map? I'm not sure, but it could be the problem.

Okay, so this is my first time hacking and I'm utterly confused by the "palettes".

To start, I'm trying to import an overworld sprite into the ROM, but when I do, it changes the colors of other overworld sprites. I figure it has something to do with palettes, but I have no idea how to get the color to be correct. So if there's any way to help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

You could first go through all the palettes, and search one that's free and no character uses. Then, you can connect the overworld sprite you want to give different colors to that pallet, and then import the sprite aswell as its colors. I hope it works :)

i want my hack to start with a "cutscene" so would i put the script square in advance map on the place where the player starts(in front of the tv)?

When the player is warped to a particular spot, it does not check or there is a script here. Scripts only activate when the player walks on them, not by getting there using a warp. You should go to the header section and make a special script there, since it will be executed upon entering the map.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2016
When the player is warped to a particular spot, it does not check or there is a script here. Scripts only activate when the player walks on them, not by getting there using a warp. You should go to the header section and make a special script there, since it will be executed upon entering the map.

thanks. i didnt kno that you could make a special script that activates upon entering a map. this will help alot. ill try it out soon.
oh another quick question; using the scirpts that activate upon entering a map, i can still use checkflag to make the event only occur once?

Last edited:
Years
thanks. i didnt kno that you could make a special script that activates upon entering a map. this will help alot. ill try it out soon.
oh another quick question; using the scirpts that activate upon entering a map, i can still use checkflag to make the event only occur once?

Yes, it's possible to use checkflag, checkvar etc.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years

Go to Toolbox
HackMew's Toolbox
Starter Map Chooser Advance (Or something along that name)

Mind you, even if you edit the Starting map in R/S/E, you have to remove the truck event if you want that gone, there are tools for that too, just look around in the various threads in teh toolbox section.

Seeing as how you've come here FIRST instead of the Toolbox, I've decided to be a gracious helper and provide a link to HackMew's thread, AND the toolbox, so you can look around and find anything and everything you'll need to be on your way.

HackMew's Toolbox
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85025

The Toolbox Forum
http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66

Have fun

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
@Hi-Techneon: Although the center was custom made, it does look just like other centers, which is why I really need to find someone who knows how to change where you end up and fix it that way.

So again, if anyone knows the answers to these questions, it'd be super great. This problem has left me at a bit of a standstill, actually. I've wanted to solve this problem before moving on. =[

1. How do I edit the Pokemon Center script that runs when you faint? Where would I be able to find it? The script I mean is the one that sends you the Pokemon Center (or whatever other healing place).

2. This one's related to the former. How do I change the location the player is sent upon fainting? Not just the map, I want to know how to change what specific tile you appear on (normally, you show up right in front of the nurse, for example, and how can you change that?).

I mean, I hope everyone knows what I'm looking for, I don't know how to make it any clearer. =| If I mustmustmust, I'll just steal already existing Pokemon Centers, but I would really prefer not to.

Years
@Hi-Techneon: Although the center was custom made, it does look just like other centers, which is why I really need to find someone who knows how to change where you end up and fix it that way.

So again, if anyone knows the answers to these questions, it'd be super great. This problem has left me at a bit of a standstill, actually. I've wanted to solve this problem before moving on. =[

1. How do I edit the Pokemon Center script that runs when you faint? Where would I be able to find it? The script I mean is the one that sends you the Pokemon Center (or whatever other healing place).

2. This one's related to the former. How do I change the location the player is sent upon fainting? Not just the map, I want to know how to change what specific tile you appear on (normally, you show up right in front of the nurse, for example, and how can you change that?).

I mean, I hope everyone knows what I'm looking for, I don't know how to make it any clearer. =| If I mustmustmust, I'll just steal already existing Pokemon Centers, but I would really prefer not to.

I hope I help this time :)
If not, I'll keep trying :P
When looking at the screenshot, I can see the player is transported to X 0 and Y 0.
Maybe there's some kind of table that's accesable using HEX editing, where the coordinates for each map are stored. If I'm right, each map has the same coordinates, except the Indigo Plateau and the Net Center. Maybe you could edit it and add your map with its coordinates?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years

Here are some of my findings:

Code:
0x1A654B : executed after battle fades, before "scurried home/to PC" text

0x16a2cb : viridian city 'sethealingplace' script (type 3)
0x1bc05c : 'special 0x182' script (type 5)

0x1A8DD8 : home script (mother heals your team)
0x1a8d97 : PokeCenter Script (Nurse Joy heals your team)

Basically this is what happens: after the battles fades, the game runs the script at 0x1A654B. Before the "player scurried to such and such place" text is displayed, the level scripts (types 3 & 5) are executed for the target map (there are none for the player's house). After the text is printed and the player presses A, the game fades back in to the player's new location and one of those two scripts is executed. As for which tile the player gets warped to, I'll have to do further research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back