• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Move Help For Favourites?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Basically I've just started a new game on Pokemon Diamond for the 5th and plan to use only my favourite pokemon. The pokemon on my team will be...

Piplup (Will not evolve) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
- Surf
- Drill Peck
- Bide
- Waterfall

Sandshrew (Will not evolve) @ Soft Sand
Ability: Sand Veil
- Earthquake
- Slash
- Rollout
- Double Team

Togekiss @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Serene Grace
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
- Hyper Beam
- Psychic

Armaldo @ Kings Rock
Ability: Battle Armour
- X-Scissor
- Protect
- Giga Impact
- Rock Slide

Pachirisu @ No Item (Pick Up)
Ability: Pick Up
- Discharge
- Super Fang
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

Roserade @ Big Root
Ability: Poison Point
- Giga Drain
- Petal Dance
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Those 6 pokemon are the definite team that I'm using even though most of their stats really aren't that good (Piplup, Sandshrew, Pachirisu...), although their moves are not all that great. At the moment the moves are just projections (only just reaching Eterna Forest at the moment!) but I'm not sure what to teach them otherwise. Plus with trying to fit in all the HMs, this is becoming difficult. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated! :) Items are also just (very) vague guesses, so item suggestions would be helpful too! Thanks in advanced!

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
My comments and changes will be in BOLD:

Piplup (Will not evolve) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
- Surf
- Drill Peck/Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Waterfall

Ice Beam is a must-have here, as it gets decent coverage. Especially if you go with Grass Knot over Drill Peck, which I recommend.

Sandshrew (Will not evolve) @ Brightpowder
Ability: Sand Veil
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Double Team

Brightpowder + Double Team may be cheap, and forbidden competitively, but it works wonders in-game, especially to help Sandshrew set up with Swords Dance. Rock Slide or Stone Edge gets nice Coverage with Earthquake.

Togekiss @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Serene Grace
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Thunder Wave/Flamethrower

Stay away from Hyper Beam and the other recharge moves. You don't want to have to waste a turn recharging. Roost is nice for instant recovery as well.

Armaldo @ Kings Rock
Ability: Battle Armour
- X-Scissor
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Good here. But again, avoid Recharge moves. Earthquake works wonders with Rock Slide.

Pachirisu @ No Item (Pick Up)
Ability: Pick Up
- Iron Tail/Grass Knot
- Super Fang
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

Pachirisu doesn't have much to work with. Iron Tail or Grass Knot give it more coverage than 3 Electric attacks.

Roserade @ Big Root
Ability: Natural Cure
- Giga Drain
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Shadow Ball works best here, as it gives you more coverage. Not too bad otherwise. You could also give it the Black Sludge to work as a Leftovers for Poison types.

Hope I helped. I really recommend you use HM slaves for HMs, and Evolve the other pokemon. But that's about it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Hmm... Thanks, these changes are very helpful, although isn't Grass Knot unreliable as it's based on weight? I love the craftiness used for Sandshrew, I'll definitely use moves like those. Slight problem with finding all these TMs though - and where do you find black sludge? Thanks again.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
Hmm... Thanks, these changes are very helpful, although isn't Grass Knot unreliable as it's based on weight? I love the craftiness used for Sandshrew, I'll definitely use moves like those. Slight problem with finding all these TMs though - and where do you find black sludge? Thanks again.

Thing with Grass Knot is, there are a lot of Hikers in DPPt, and all or most of them use heavy Rock types like Geodude and Graveller, so Grass Knot is fairly useful.

Wild Croagunk sometimes are found holding Black Sludge.

Since you find Earthquake fairly late in the game, Dig can work as s subsitute until you get it. In-game trainers rarely use Earthquake against you, so Dig is a workable option.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Thing with Grass Knot is, there are a lot of Hikers in DPPt, and all or most of them use heavy Rock types like Geodude and Graveller, so Grass Knot is fairly useful.

Wild Croagunk sometimes are found holding Black Sludge.

Since you find Earthquake fairly late in the game, Dig can work as s subsitute until you get it. In-game trainers rarely use Earthquake against you, so Dig is a workable option.

Hmm, thanks - is there a TM for Grass Knot? And if so where is it found and how many can be found?

Also pretty obscure to find... Is there anywhere else in the game you find black sludge?

Seriously thanks a lot for all the help, it's very appreciated!

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
Hmm, thanks - is there a TM for Grass Knot? And if so where is it found and how many can be found?

Also pretty obscure to find... Is there anywhere else in the game you find black sludge?

Seriously thanks a lot for all the help, it's very appreciated!

You can really only get 1 Grass Knot TM and that's from defeating the Eterna City Gym Leader, which I see you're rather close to.. As far as Black Sludge, I'm not sure.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
You can really only get 1 Grass Knot TM and that's from defeating the Eterna City Gym Leader, which I see you're rather close to.. As far as Black Sludge, I'm not sure.

Okay, thanks a lot. I'll give grass knot to Pachirisu since Piplup has alright coverage against most hikers and Pachirisu really doesn't.

Cheers for the help.

Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2011
as soon as you get a bike go under the bike road im pretty sure its flowing with croagunk

either that or gible its worth a try though

either that or gible its worth a try though

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
From memory I think that's Gible and that's it's only location... But thanks. I'll check it out anyway though, I need to go there ASAP to catch my Sandshrew.

Back