• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

2nd Gen Best place to train/grind in Johto?

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Still playing through Crystal and I want to level my Pokemon up about 3-4 times before I take on the Elite Four.

I want to know what the best place to train here is, since Johto is really... lackluster for that, given how low-level all the Pokemon are. I don't enjoy getting a pathetic 263 EXP points per battle, because that makes it take like twenty Pokemon to level up once. Off all six of my team, that's 20 * 4 * 6 = 480 Pokemons.

Yeah, no. I need a place that can cut that in HALF or better.

I'm thinking Dark Cave (Ursaring and Graveler) or the route between Mahogany and the Ice Cave (Lickitung and Tangela) but I don't know for sure... what places work best for you all?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I usually just suck it up and grind in Victory Road. I grind throughout the game though, so by the time I get there, I'm already almost at level 50. The E4 isn't even that hard in GSC so, so you can go in underlevel and it won't matter too much really. You could also consider playing Buena's Password everyday and building up points to but a ton of Rare Candy.

LividZephyr

Years
You could also consider playing Buena's Password everyday and building up points to but a ton of Rare Candy.
I would do that, but there's one big problem: I'm emulating it on my phone, and the days don't pass like normal. So if I save at 7:54 am Thursday, it will be that time when I load the save.

Hence why I have to ask, since I remember doing Buena's Password my prior run-through to get like 5 Rare Candies to level 'em all up once.

It's Lance I'm most worried about. I have a Sneasel and Poliwhirl, both with Ice Punch, but the levels make me worried that they'll get clobbered before they have a chance. I need to get a Water Stone, and I keep waiting on Fisher Tully... maybe I should... hack it... *gulp*

Thanks a bunch - I have a few things to think out before I ATTACK ^_^

11wildy

Me!
Years
Just train in victory read until Tully calls. With a team of 6 level 40 Pokemon the league is perfectly doable. But yeah you really want that water stone I suppose :P

#isthenumbersign
Years
Yeah Victory Road especially with Water/Ice types, you shouldn't have too many problems training. Make sure you've beaten all those trainers on the Route below Blackthorn too. x)

LividZephyr

Years
Make sure you've beaten all those trainers on the Route below Blackthorn too. x)
I believe I've cleaned out most of them, so I think I'm fine there. :)

It's going well in Victory Road and directly south of it. My Electabuzz, Donphan, and Growlithe aren't exactly having fun in Victory Road itself... and that was sorta why I asked, since switching those three out to the other three gets pretty annoying. Even though I gave Growlithe Dragonbreath ^_^

Thanks for all the help, guys. I don't know what possessed me to miss the levels on the route to Victory Road xD

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
If it's before the Elite Four I always grind in Victory Road. But once I unlock Mt. Silver that's where I do all the level grinding.

Back