• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Do you think Lugia should be a Water Type???

Do you think Lugia should be a Water Type Pokémon???

• Yes

Votes: 28 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I think so, because Lugia is the guardian of the sea but yet, he's a flying and psychic type. Which is really weird. Maybe the 4x weakness to Electric to it might have been too overkill for a legnedary type if it had the water/flying combination?

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I thought that Lugia was a water type, I didn't know that, yes, it definitely should be.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Guardian of the sea, deep-sea pokemon, lives in the ocean depths, psychic? WHAT THE **** no. I will not stand for this, they just didn't want Lugia to be stronger than Ho-oh, but apparently Groudon can have his rear end kicked by Kyogre! This should be it.
Ho-oh, Fire/Flying or something to make it fair.
Lugia, WATER/Flying
Groudon, Fire/Groudon; Fire beats Ice
Kyogre, Ice/Water; Water beats Ground
even.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Yes, of course! Why Lugia isn't a water type was never clear to me. He IS the guardian of the sea, after all!

Also, Groudon should be Fire type...

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Some things are done for sake of balance of the gameplay. Pokemon is a video game first and anime generated background lore. It's similar to how Gyarados isn't a water/dragon but water/flying in some attempt to tone it down in first generation. Lugia will be quite a fortress with much less weakness, trading for only vulnerable to electric in battle... as if it's not a super strong defensive legendary already.

Years
I think it was only a few years ago when I found out that it was actually part Psychic type rather than part Water. It does make a little bit of sense though when you think about it, because then it would easily be a lot more powerful than Ho-oh based on the type advantage over it.

If it weren't paired up with Ho-oh I would absolutely want it to be Water/Flying, but for the sake of balance, I'm happy with the way it is.

Years
He is the guardian of the sea, lives in the whirl islands in an underwater chasm and lives in the deepest part of that chasm in a waterfall, also has the power to change the flow of currents.
Should be water type.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
It does make sense, and admittedly when I was little I thought Lugia was a Water-type.

I guess Psychic/Flying does kind of make sense, but it still seems a little odd.

EvilTotodile

We're Evil
Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2021
i think he should be water/dragon that would be cool, but no, nintendo decided not to make many dragon types in the early gens

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
no because then everyone would pick lugia over ho-oh due to the fact fire < water

(i love both birds and like thier current types)

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
Yes, though doubtful. Water would make it an extreme overkiller, and also since it's defense-oriented it'd be less vulnerable to electric as well. But who'd match up Lugia against electric? It had to settle for a Psychic/Flying... I was Outraged.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Lugia should've been a Water/Flying, but the tradition of having only one Water/Flying line each gen, which was started by Gyarados, forced GF to make Lugia part Psychic instead.

Years
Lugia's current typing seems fine to me, and if it were Water-type it would have an unfair advantage over Ho-Oh (Fire being weak to Water!) not to mention that they usually only introduce one Water/Flying line in each generation.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Perhaps it should. I had the misconception that this legendary was part Water-type when I was younger until I found out that it actually was Psychic/Flying. This confused me quite a bit, especially since I watched the movie that featured Lugia and the legendary Bird Trio with Lugia living at the bottom of the sea and manipulating its waters and such. Oh, and why is Lugia living in a cave behind a waterfall in the middle of the sea in the games??

Actually, if triple-types were to be implemented, Lugia should immediately be Water-Flying-Psychic as...well, you know why.

.....or perhaps it should not. If Lugia were to be Water/Flying, Electric-types would very easily K.O. it in a move or two. So....yeah. I think it's much better off being Psychic/Flying.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Guardian of the sea, deep-sea pokemon, lives in the ocean depths, psychic? WHAT THE **** no. I will not stand for this, they just didn't want Lugia to be stronger than Ho-oh, but apparently Groudon can have his rear end kicked by Kyogre! This should be it.
Ho-oh, Fire/Flying or something to make it fair.
Lugia, WATER/Flying
Groudon, Fire/Groudon; Fire beats Ice
Kyogre, Ice/Water; Water beats Ground
even.

I'm guessing you mean Fire/Ground for Groudon...

Anyway, in that scenario, Kyogre would be terribly overpowered against Groudon (Water being 4x-effective against the Fire/Ground type combination), even if Fire does beat Ice (and in that case, Kyogre would still only be taking normal damage, since Fire trumps Ice but succumbs to Water, thus canceling the two type calculations out). Kyogre also lacks any 4x weaknesses with Water/Ice typing. As much as I'd like Groudon to be Fire/Ground, I think Groudon as a mono-typed Ground-type Pokemonis fine for gameplay purposes, so it can at least have an iota of a chance against Kyogre with a 2x weakness rather than a 4x weakness. >.> What Groudon really needs is a Physical Grass attack that gains power in sunlight...and Eruption needs to be made a Physical move...

Anyway, on to the topic at hand, LUGIA... :t249:

Some things are done for sake of balance of the gameplay. Pokemon is a video game first and anime generated background lore. It's similar to how Gyarados isn't a water/dragon but water/flying in some attempt to tone it down in first generation. Lugia will be quite a fortress with much less weakness, trading for only vulnerable to electric in battle... as if it's not a super strong defensive legendary already.

Gyarados I understand (and like) with the "dragon through perseverance/Legendary Carp" deal (although Gyarados' typing is still laughable; it's only a threat when you lack Electric-type Pokemon/moves, unless 'competitive' Gyarados somehow fare better than Hoenn Battle Frontier Gyarados...) I haven't used Lugia for gameplay, although if it's a 'tank' of sorts, would Water/Flying really be that bad for it? :cer_confused: (although now I'm seeing some posts stating that it would be overpowered offensively despite the 4x weakness...)

i think he should be water/dragon that would be cool, but no, nintendo decided not to make many dragon types in the early gens

I'd love Lugia's typing to be retconned to Water/Flying...if Rotom can have type retcons, surely Lugia can as well... :/

Lugia should've been a Water/Flying, but the tradition of having only one Water/Flying line each gen, which was started by Gyarados, forced GF to make Lugia part Psychic instead.

Hmm...I guess it could be interpreted as 'tradition', although I think that's kind of a coincidence/conscious choice on the part of Game Freak (and IMO, Generation 4 hardly counts since Mantyke is related to Mantine of Generation 2...).

Perhaps it should. I had the misconception that this legendary was part Water-type when I was younger until I found out that it actually was Psychic/Flying. This confused me quite a bit, especially since I watched the movie that featured Lugia and the legendary Bird Trio with Lugia living at the bottom of the sea and manipulating its waters and such. Oh, and why is Lugia living in a cave behind a waterfall in the middle of the sea in the games??

Actually, if triple-types were to be implemented, Lugia should immediately be Water-Flying-Psychic as...well, you know why.

.....or perhaps it should not. If Lugia were to be Water/Flying, Electric-types would very easily K.O. it in a move or two. So....yeah. I think it's much better off being Psychic/Flying.

Yeah, I was confused with Lugia's typing as well, and Pokemon 2000 didn't help matters much (possibly worsened them..). I think I first discovered Lugia was Psychic/Flying and not Water/Flying in Pokemon Stadium 2's database. @_@ I'd rather have it be a Water/Flying Pokemon with Psychic-type capabilities; it doesn't seem any more 'psionic' compared to other Legendary Pokemon like Ho-Oh or Kyogre. Yeah, it can telepathically talk, but so can Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem (Dragon Pokemon who aren't Psychic-types). Water/Dragon also seems nice, but methinks that would be even worse compared to Water/Flying, with Lugia's apparent already-high resistance/defensive capabilities (not to mention that it kind of clashes with another Legendary Pokemon mascot, Palkia).

Anyway, if we can have Kyogre deluging the crap out of Groudon, I don't see why Lugia can't inundate the bajoogles out of Ho-Oh (as cool as Ho-Oh is). Ho-Oh has some Electric-type moves to help it out (then again, it currently learns Special Electric-type moves while specializing in the Attack stat...). And Lugia's main advantage (excluding high defense) is only STAB with Water moves, as opposed to STAB with Water moves and the boost from Rain and high Special Attack, like Kyogre has in its arsenal against Groudon. So Ho-Oh can take care of itself (at least for a while).

I have to admit, I honestly thought Lugia was water/flying until about a year ago. It was mainly its habitat (WHIRL islands - in the WATER) and the fact that it learned hydro pump by level. Oh - and seeing it LIVING under water in Pokemon 2000 :/ But yes, I do believe even after finding out its true typing- that it should be water / flying.

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
Honestly, if Lugia was a water/flying, I think they'd have to change the design up from what it already is. Not to mention it'd only have one real weakness. Lugia doesn't look like a water type at all, in fact I was skeptical about it being a flying-type when I first saw it. If anything, I think it should be psychic/water instead of water/flying.

Back