• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

2nd Gen Which Starter do you choose in G/S/C?

Which Starter do you choose in G/S/C

• Total voters

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Not sure who I chose in Gold or Silver but in Crystal I chose Chikorita and my player was a girl. I raised it into a lv. 100 Meganium along with alot of other high-leveled Pokémon, including all the Eeveelutions at that time. Really bites that the whole game got erased when the battery dried up. :(

gSpartan150

Intermediate Johto Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I love most water Pokemon, and I feel that I am efficient with training them as well. So I chose Totodile. I got him from HeartGold Version and I still have him, and I plan on using him in Pokemon Y.

Dragooncroft

Tomb Raider
Years
I chose Totodile because it seemed so ferocious and cool. I heard that you could teach it earthquake, which at the time seemed impenetrable. I didn't know a whole lot about the other two, so Totodile seemed to be the perfect choice for me... and he was :). I'm happy to say that he is included on my finalized team for Silver.

If I replayed the game (starting off with a new starter), I would choose Cyndaquil. If this were real life, I would choose Chikorita. Not sure why I feel this way :p

bashau

Distinct Phantom
Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2022
Totodile of course what's not to love. It's a humaniod crocodile of death

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2014
I've Always liked Cyndaquil since I was younger and still pick it when I play gen 2.

POCKYM0NSTAH

Shoop
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2019
Cyndaquil because it looked sooo cute and typhlosion is still one of my favorite pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2024
Totodile is my first; a super-happy, adorable little crocodile is a great companion for Johto! Cyndaquil is a close second, though; he becomes a real terror the older and stronger he gets.

Sevrah

Sevrah Lux
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 9, 2023
I always chose Cyndaquil because he's the one I chose when I was a kid :)

Quilava is also pretty cool ._.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2016
Generation 2 was the first that it stated to be noticeable that the starter Pokemon were not always the best, the only ok/good starter in gen 2 is Cyndaquil.

Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2013
The first time I ever played I chose Chikorita, I always preferred grass starters. I've played with Cyndaquil a few times too, never Totodile though I don't think.

Sirfetch’d

I rotate my choices in this gen. Wasn't the best gen in terms of starter Pokemon so I can't say I like one more than the other, but Totodile is probably the most useful of the three and was the one I chose on my first playthrough.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I always choose Cyndaquil just because I love its whole evolutionary and dislike both Chikorita and Totodile (especially Totodile). Feraligatr is terrifying (with a silly name!) and Meganium is pretty boring. Usually I hate Fire types, but strangely I adore Cyndaquil so it's nice to finally be able to use one haha. And it's so damn cute bejesus.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Totodile. It's useful for its Surfing abilities and has access to pretty cool moves. It sucks that its attacks usually depend on its weaker Special Attack.

Years
I usually choose Cyndaquil considering it's one of my favourite Pokémon. If I don't choose Cyndaquil than it's usually almost always Totodile. I like Chikorita but unfortunately I've never actually finished a game with it.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Back when I used to play GSC, I alternated between all three of them depending on what I felt like picking. My most favourite at the time was Totodile as it had that awesome Scratch which did not miss compared to Cyndaquil and Chikorita's Tackle with its 5% miss rate which really made a lot of difference and annoyed younger me. The second most often-picked was Cyndaquil, and lastly Chikorita. Sadly, my Crystal cartridge died on me, so I haven't played it in quite a while. If I were to play it again though, it'll be Cyndaquil ALL the way. <33

Years
Cyndaquil and Totodile. I like how back in the day pre-split how people weren't competitive and you could get away with a Feraligatr with Surf and Ice Punch.

Daixtey

The Sin of Joy
Years
I always chosed Totodile when I played these Games I dont know why but he´s just my favourite.

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2015
My first was Cyndaquil, for aesthetics apparently because when I first picked up Crystal I knew nothing about Pokemon. Didn't regret my choice though!

Back