• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How many pokemons you use in party

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 23, 2019
Howdy, soooo i kinda used in every (except gen I) up to six pokemons in my party.

In my recent playthroughs i have found me with five-six pokemons before the second gym, making me underleved.

So, a question popped up in my head: How many pokemons to you guys like to have in your runs?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 23, 2019
Moving this to Pokemon Gaming Central since it's more about the games as a whole than the franchise as a whole!

Sorry, i didn't know.

And yeah, when i do a run in a game i now all pokemons i like to do this too :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I usually have a full team at all times, as soon as I have 6 Pokémon, but I know it's not my final team - I just swap Pokémon out as better ones come along and I generally don't leave empty spaces in my party.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I tend to switch and try something new like 6 teams, but switchero on between

pkmin3033

I try to sort out a team of six for the endgame, but it's not uncommon for me to go through at least half of it with two or three Pokemon. I'm very picky and I won't just use things and substitute them later on; I find training something I don't intend to use for the whole game a waste of effort.

blue

gucci
Years
I always use six now to maximize my potential and so that I can use as many as my favourites as I possibly can. At one point I only used three to four, but now I can manage a team of six nicely.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I use my best and favourite six pokemon, mainly! I also always include my starter, and a water type to help use Surf if it calls for it.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I prefer to go with six just to have the most types represented in my team, but my sixth Pokémon always ends up being the leftover member that gets all the type attacks I don't yet have in my team. For instance, in my current run of Silver I have a Nidoqueen with attacks like Double Kick and Thunderpunch, because I had neither of those types on my team yet. It ends up becoming an allround coverup that is functional but not exactly strong because of lack of STAB and I just don't really give them that much attention as my other team members...

I want to start trying out playing with teams of five, so that I can always leave a slot open for a necessary member or HM slave. So far I've always given HMs to my main party members and removed them once I knew they'd be redundant.

Years
I've gotten a little more selective with my teams as I've gotten older, to the point where Alpha Sapphire was the first time I went through the game with less than 6 Pokemon. Even in Sun, I only had 6, but never swapped my team around once I knew who my 6th party member was going to be.

When I was younger though, I would always try to get to 6 as soon as possible, and if I ever found higher leveled Pokemon in the wild, into the party they would go, and into the box went the weakest of my 6 at the time.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I very rarely swap out Pokémon, I'm very selective when picking the six to the point where the six in my party are usually the only six Pokémon I've caught in the entire game. That's also one of the reasons completing the Alola Dex in Sun feels so alien to me, haha. I can't ever recall a time when I used a strategy of catching lots of Pokémon, as far as I can recall I've always been this picky.

Years
I usually have about three Pokemon until the 3/4th gym, then get the fourth and fifth additions to my party by the sixth gym before finally rounding off my team before and after the last gym leader. This is because, recently, I've been using a couple of the rarer/stronger Pokemon which are usually only available towards the end of the game, but I always have six.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
In the 5 first generations I had 6. In the last generations I had like 8 or 9 in rotation D:

Wobb

Wynaut
Years
D: In every game I try to have 6 Pokemon in my party, but when I beat the game, there are only 3 Pokemon in my party! 6 Pokemon is a lot more to train than 3, and I don't want to do that.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I used to always have 6, or sometimes 5 in Black to save space for Reshiram. More recently I end up phasing one or two out so I end up with 7-8 trained pokémon for various reasons.

In LeafGreen this usually happens because if I use Charmander I have to either over-level it (which makes capturing other pokémon impossible) or train a Butterfree and Pikachu for the first two gyms. In Sinnoh I more often than not end up with a Staraptor which will get phased out some time around gym 7 or 8, because a lot of the pokémon I like in that region are available late on.

In terms of numbers at specific times - I usually have 2-3 by the 2nd gym, maybe 4 by the 6th, and 5-6 by the 7th. In Hoenn I usually end up under-levelled as a lot of my favourite pokémon are available before the first gym (Taillow, Wingull, Zigzagoon, Lotad, Ralts, Shroomish, Slakoth) and then others aren't until much later (Bagon, Rayquaza, Beldum and Lati@s are post-game). Johto is the only one where my team tends to grow almost perfectly - with one pokémon at the first gym, 2-3 by the 2nd / 3rd, and not filling in the last one until just before or after the 8th gym (usually a dragon of some sort). That's almost entirely down to the ability to capture Poliwag with an Old Rod as an alternative to Slowpoke though.

Ninjorf

Friendo
Years
I try to build a team as I'm going along so I'll have about as many pokemon as the gym leaders, unless there are some pokemon I'm very interested in that I can catch early.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Slowly going through Sun right now. I got a team of 6 early on, and I keep swapping lesser members out for more permanent members as I go through the islands. It's kind of like the thing Ash did as he was going through Unova. Except no second chances.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I don't like swapping out Pokémon! I prefer to have a team ready to roll with without having to swap any out. D: For reruns of games I pretty much always plan out a team so I won't end up with an unbalanced team, but it has almost always happened that I had to switch one out halfway because they weren't convenient enough. For new runs, I think I always looked out for cool Pokémon to take along, buti t's been ages since I've played a Pokémon game for the first time so I honestly cannot remember.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I like to play in RPG style. Basically I take the starter and then add Pokemon over time until I get a full party. Afterwards I stop catching anything, unless I really want something for some odd reason. All of them get trained equally, so they're on equal terms, even if it means that they turn out underleveled. I also try to at least plan ahead so far, that I can distribute HMs on the team evenly. That makes it feel like everyone on the team has their own jobs they need to fulfill; kind of like party members in real RPGs.

So, yeah: six

smocks

fiat lux
Years
I'm a picky trainer, or just more, only catching what I need/want (and I don't don't necessarily want all of them for sure)

I usually have three main Pokémon until after the second/third gym when I add another regular/permanent member onto my team. Then it's like that until after the 5th/6th gym and I gain a main 5th Pokémon. The 6th slot is for the legendary but I usually don't use my legendary and use that slot to experiment other Pokémon to my team (but done never usually stick). Along my journey, I do capture Pokémon I like or need for a HM or similar, but usually stick them in the box as "backup" Pokémon. I don't really catch a ton, I usually almost fill to barely starting the second box when I beat the game.

Back