• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen "But I don't want to save over my file..."

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
The one thing that has plagued the Pokémon games (in my opinion) is a lack of an ability to have more than one save file in the games. Instead, every time you wanted to start over, wiping your data was necessary, with the only way to back anything up being to trade them to someone else (if you had that ability). With the advance to 3DS technology, do you think it would be possible for X/Y to have multiple save files included in the games? Would it be possible that they could restrict you to one save file per difficulty level (if they are brought back)? Would you want/use more than one save file? Is there any other way you'd like to be able to save your Pokémon but starting a new journey?

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Honestly, Im gonna say I doubt there will ever be multiple save files. Although game cards have a lot of space now, I dont think Game Freak cares if you lose your data if you want to start again, thye'd honestly rather you buy another game card if you refuse to delete your save data, as it makes them more money. I honestly think this is at least part of the reason they havent made multiple save files. I somehow doubt we'll ever see it tbh, no matter what technology they offer.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Honestly, Im gonna say I doubt there will ever be multiple save files. Although game cards have a lot of space now, I dont think Game Freak cares if you lose your data if you want to start again, thye'd honestly rather you buy another game card if you refuse to delete your save data, as it makes them more money. I honestly think this is at least part of the reason they havent made multiple save files. I somehow doubt we'll ever see it tbh, no matter what technology they offer.

Sadly, as cynical as that truly is, it's more than likely correct. Games running on the same technology back in the advanced era had multiple save files, and we still didn't have them. Money does make the world go round and allow them to have the money to develop more games and pay their employees, so it really does make sense if that would be their motivation. We can hope though!

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Multiple save files for Pokemon can happen technically, but I don't want it to. Pokemon carts always feel so unique cause of their own player per game feel, and they should always keep it like that. Not to mention I would be too bothered with the fact that you can't cheapen the starter wow factor by trading between saves.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
GF doesn't allow multiple save files due to a design choice, not technical impossibility. Because, IMO the way the game is designed, you really are supposed to never restart your game at all.

But multiple save files have existed ever since there was a possibility to have save files in the first place. Super Mario World had them, and it was the launch SNES title. You could have three save files in that game.

Years
I'd kill for them to finally give us the ability to have multiple saved files. I hate deleting data after amassing a huge amount of rare/high levelled pokemon or completing a lot of challenges.

Unfortunately, it isn't financially prudent to make this happen. They'll make more money if people buy more games so they can restart without losing all of their achievements. So as has been said, they should for us fans but won't because money always trumps the opinions of customers, regardless of what the saying says.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
GF doesn't allow multiple save files due to a design choice, not technical impossibility. Because, IMO the way the game is designed, you really are supposed to never restart your game at all.

^This. My thinking is that GameFreak doesn't really expect lots of people to just dump all of the Pokemon they've caught and start over all the time. I restarted Ruby one time after beating it. I'll never do that again unless I've gotten all of my good Pokemon off that game. But with the Generations moving like they do, I don't feel the need to restart a Gen 3 or 4 game with Gen 6 on the way.

But no, I don't think this is GameFreak trying to "cheat" fans into buying more games. I can't imagine anyone has ever actually beaten White and then when and bought another White because there wasn't another save file. (They may have bought Black, but that's the 2nd version.) The way the games work, I feel like restarting your game isn't really something GameFreak expects most of their players to do. And it would decrease the value of the rarer Pokemon. I don't expect this to change since trading is still a huge part of the Pokemon series.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I feel like the argument that they don't expect people to start over doesn't really make much sense. Let's take any other game for example, like Ocarina of Time (regardless of save files). Have you ever wanted to play through the story again just to see it, because sitting at the point where you've beaten it already has gotten stale? Maybe you want to do a challenge through it (Like a 3 Heart challenge for example). Maybe you want to see how fast you can beat it.

That translates over to Pokémon as well. People start games over because they get bored with their file. Not everyone likes to trade with people, battle other people, or just play the Elite Four or Battle Frontier over and over again. They want to experience the journey again with a whole new set of Pokémon. Maybe they want to do a challenge on it (Like a Nuzlocke or Monotype), or even do a speed run of it.

Point being, a lot of people do restart their games, and it would be nice to see multiple save files for the large group of people who do like to do so.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
But no, I don't think this is GameFreak trying to "cheat" fans into buying more games. I can't imagine anyone has ever actually beaten White and then when and bought another White because there wasn't another save file. (They may have bought Black, but that's the 2nd version.) The way the games work, I feel like restarting your game isn't really something GameFreak expects most of their players to do. And it would decrease the value of the rarer Pokemon. I don't expect this to change since trading is still a huge part of the Pokemon series.

I did this actually. After beating White, I went and bought Black a month later just so I could play through the story again. It was like an excuse to get both. xD

Yeah, I don't see Pokemon as a game you would restart. The only time I'd ever consider restarting is if I've already traded all the Pokemon from a previous gen game to the current gen game. If I was bored, I'd restart that previous gen game. Tbh, I don't see multiple save files happening anytime soon, maybe at all.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I can see how having just one save file conveys that special feeling to each cartridge, like every game has this long and never ending adventure, and i guess thats okay for people who like to battle/trade online or maybe even complete the whole pokedex...

In my opinion though, i would love to have more than just one save file, even if it was just one more.
The thing about Pokemon that appeals most to me is how many different Pokes there are and how many different teams you can build. I always have trouble deciding on what Pokemons i wanna use on my journey, and having more than one save file would make this so much easier.
Also, i recently started doing challenges, and having more than 1 save file would be a blessing for this

Years
I don't really have an issue, since I can always trade to another game to keep my Pokemon, but the big problem I have is the gift Pokemon from events who have ribbons or whatever that make it impossible for you to trade them... If the promotion had ended, you can never get that Pokemon again, should you want to restart. You have to delete your event Pokemon...

I have a funny feeling I'm going to end up with multiple copies of X and Y... I have 6 B2W2 copies already... (One of each in Japanese, and two of each in English.)

I don't terribly mind buying extra copies, though I hope for sales, since used games are pretty much the same price as new copies when it comes to Pokemon... (I did take advantage of that recent Best Buy sale. lol)

But if there aren't sales (and I really wouldn't count on it, at least not too often, nor too close to release) it doesn't really help... I mean, I can pay full price... But I'm cheap and poor, I don't want to! XD

I think there's not enough aftergame content for just one file to be enough though. Maybe if they had some sort of quests where you have to catch and use low level Pokemon or something... Then you would have more motivation to catch early game Pokemon you may have passed over initially... I dunno, I'm not so into competitive battling so for me the game just ends after the story is over... I end up doing minigames over and over (contests, game corner, underground, etc.) and nothing else really... So for casual players it might be nice to at least have more motivation to keep playing, if there continues to be only one file.

I wish there was more than one file though... Because it's more fun to try and experience the adventure in many different ways. In one of my games I am doing a speed run, and in another one, I am doing a really slow run where I don't move on until I catch ever Pokemon available. lol And in some games I'm playing with a set team the whole way through, and in others I'll just catch and use whatever I feel like, and swap out for different situations, which is what I used to always do as a kid, before wifi, in the old days. XD I really think it would be more fun to play more than one file. Pokemon games, as they are now, are really short games. You can beat them, including the after game, in really maybe a week or a month, if you put in a few hours a day... But the games are much much further apart. If you aren't interested in competitive battles or completing your Pokedex, but want to still play Pokemon, what do you do? You start from the beginning... But if you don't want to lose your Pokemon, items, file, etc. you have to buy a whole new game and that kinda sucks.

All that said, I really don't expect it, after all this time, despite how much I want it... It just doesn't seem like simply moving up to the 3DS would be enough reason for them to implement it. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
I doubt they will ever allow us more than one file, it gives us more of an incentive to buy the second version of the game. Why give up on the money?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I would definitely like to see multiple save files. People do restart their games for reasons that Jake mentioned. They got bored of their current file, want to play through again testing a new team, trying a challenge etc. The only reason why Gamefreak would restrict it to one of course is for profit. They earn more money from getting people to buy new games instead of implementing multiple save files, that's just what they do. I'm sure it isn't impossible seeing as games on much older consoles could manage it take the Zelda series for example. But I'm guessing they'll stick to the one save file thing again unfortunately. :(

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Just because a lot of people don't like playing with others doesn't mean that any one MMO should make a single-player mode.

It's great that fans have come up with ways to enjoy and challenge themselves with the Pokémon games. But Pokémon really is meant to be played once, with one save file. That's you in that game--you can't really have multiples of yourself in reality, right? It's a design choice made to make the game more immersive. In games with multiple save files, I don't worry nearly as much about my choices, because I know I can simply play again on another save file and do things differently there.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
Just because a lot of people don't like playing with others doesn't mean that any one MMO should make a single-player mode.

It's great that fans have come up with ways to enjoy and challenge themselves with the Pokémon games. But Pokémon really is meant to be played once, with one save file. That's you in that game--you can't really have multiples of yourself in reality, right? It's a design choice made to make the game more immersive. In games with multiple save files, I don't worry nearly as much about my choices, because I know I can simply play again on another save file and do things differently there.

Hundred percent agree with you. I actually do the same thing. My original files are still saved on all of these games: Fire Red, Ruby, Heart Gold, Black, Black 2. I just can't let go of how much I have done on them, and those are truly my characters on my games.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years

This game is PRIMARILY a single player game. All the multiplayer aspects are completely optional. I don't feel like I should be locked into a one save file because they think it's going to break immersion. For me, the immersion breaks the second I don't want to continue playing and I get bored with my choices. That doesn't mean I want to lose all the stuff I've worked for though. I'd just prefer there to be more than one save file (even if it was just two) so I could actually make a choice more than once so I can see what would come of it without losing everything.

Years
I would absolutely love for this to be a feature, so I could have my finished game and my game for challenges or restarting or whatever. However, the reason they don't do this and the reason I don't really want this, is that I'm sure having two save files on a game takes up a ton of memory space on the cartridge or whatever, which could be used to make the game much more indepth and awesome and whatnot. The only thing I could really see happening is something like... maybe if they had something called a time machine setting for your PC, and once you put that on your PC you couldn't access it anymore. Then, you could restart your game and once you beat the E4 all your pokemon in the PC from your old file would be there in your new file's PC. Cuz it's really only the pokemon people care about when considering restarting their game, right?

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
I think it is an established tradition in pokemon to have one save file only and it is not likely to change anytime soon.
I also think you establish a bond with the character and the creatures you have captured so by having only one save file they try to enchance that bond....or force you to buy another cartiage.

Thingula

How do you change this text?
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2014
I want the 3 save files that most Nintendo games offer, but I doubt that would happen. Of course there would be no option to copy save files, but it would still be nice. That's the reason I always backed up my Pokemon games to a flashcard when I beat them. I wanted more save options.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I would enjoy it, but then I'd just be annoyed I couldn't use it in previous generations... :( So yes, but it'd make me sad!

Back