• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Cheren & Bianca

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Cheren and Bianca are your rivals in Pokemon B/W. They both start their journey on the same day as you and are both trying to find their purpose in life, to some extent. Bianca goes on a Pokemon Journey to find out what she wants to do, and Cheren starts out his journey wanting to become stronger, I think, but I might be wrong about this particular part. In Black2/White2, two years later, Cheren becomes a Gym Leader, and Bianca becomes professor Juniper's assistant.

What did you think of Cheren/Bianca? Which amongst the two was your favorite?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
I liked what they went for here: Bianca as the friendly rival, and Cheren as the more competitive rival. I wish we could get that in future games, instead of just a friendly rival.

Years
I liked your interactions with them in BW, it's like you are traveling with a brother and sister. It's not like Gen 6 where you have a crowd of more rivals than you may need, instead this twosome is just a nice new dynamic, a pair who act as foils. One is serious, more critical, reserved, with a clear ambition. The other is spirited, fun, attractive and warm. One rises as a trainer and the other falls. Both evolve and mature in different ways and parallel you and N. The ways they interact with you were creative, like opening presents together, arguing over the starter Pokemon and tearing apart your room during your first pokemon battle. I think they were tied into the plot well with distinctive actions like Bianca's father being unready to let her grow up and Cheren coming with you to the Indigo Plateau. They didn't feel to me like characters that were just tossed in and forgotten only to pop back up on a route later when it was time for a battle. I think they did well with them.

I felt they were definitely better than Hugh in the sequel. Hugh had a sleek design, but didn't go through as many emotional changes. My favorite BW rival and all-time rival however will always be N, but I still like Bianca and Cheren. Choosing between Bianca or Cheren is tricky, but I'm gonna say Cheren because he is with you longer in BW, right there with Alder and N. That being said, it sure was nostalgic catching up with Bianca again in particular in BW2, receiving my pokemon from her, calling her for advice and teaming up once more in Reversal Mountain. If you compare their progress in BW2 then perhaps Bianca has transformed most of all pursuing her own unique path.

Last edited:

Sorvete

Novice
Years
Hmm, I have mixed feelings about them. It's nice to have two friends to accompany my BW journey, but also their teams have wasted potential to me. There are a lot of great Pokémon in Unova, and yet they only own 4 Pokémon by the end of the game (If their post game team additions were implemented before the first E4 battle, I'd probably give them a higher rating). Not challenging rivals at all.

Last edited:
Back