• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I know, it's an old thread, but it IS the Fire Emblem: Awakening thread, so...

Anyway, I just started playing this, and I'm hooked. Problem is, this is my first tactical RPG ever. When I bought the game I really thought it was going to be a hack 'n' slash game like Zelda, lol.

But anyway, do you recommend that I play at least one time on Normal difficulty? Because I tried that and it was relatively easy. Then I moved up to Hard and, well, let's say I'm not enjoying the fact peasantry enemies can do battle with my troops quite effectively. I'd expect less power from random mooks. So it meant I was too dependent on Frederick to score some early kills just to make me gain an upper hand.

Another reason why I want to try Normal again is that I'm doing it blind and therefore I don't know most of the features of the game. I heard you can make characters marry, and there are also lots of side stuff I want to know beforehand.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I know, it's an old thread, but it IS the Fire Emblem: Awakening thread, so...

Anyway, I just started playing this, and I'm hooked. Problem is, this is my first tactical RPG ever. When I bought the game I really thought it was going to be a hack 'n' slash game like Zelda, lol.

But anyway, do you recommend that I play at least one time on Normal difficulty? Because I tried that and it was relatively easy. Then I moved up to Hard and, well, let's say I'm not enjoying the fact peasantry enemies can do battle with my troops quite effectively. I'd expect less power from random mooks. So it meant I was too dependent on Frederick to score some early kills just to make me gain an upper hand.

Another reason why I want to try Normal again is that I'm doing it blind and therefore I don't know most of the features of the game. I heard you can make characters marry, and there are also lots of side stuff I want to know beforehand.

I would say so - it all depends on your preference, really. I tried Normal, but it was too easy for me, so, it was off to Hard for me. Hard mode is pretty tough around Chapters 1 ~ 6 because they do deal considerable amounts of damage if you're not careful. D: (including a bit where Frederick gets OHKO'd by a Warrior's hammer... yeah). You really do have to be careful and rely on Pair ups for Hard mode, until you get the option to grind a bit in the DLC pack, or from random Risen in the area. Thennnn you'll find that it's relatively easier. XD

And yes, you can marry characters if you have male & female support comparable characters that are ranked S in support. Sometimes it's better to marry certain characters for certain skills for their children - like, if you marry Sully & Gaius, you can get Kjelle who can be a Pegasus Knight and thus have Galeforce... I think. @_@

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I would say so - it all depends on your preference, really. I tried Normal, but it was too easy for me, so, it was off to Hard for me. Hard mode is pretty tough around Chapters 1 ~ 6 because they do deal considerable amounts of damage if you're not careful. D: (including a bit where Frederick gets OHKO'd by a Warrior's hammer... yeah). You really do have to be careful and rely on Pair ups for Hard mode, until you get the option to grind a bit in the DLC pack, or from random Risen in the area. Thennnn you'll find that it's relatively easier. XD

And yes, you can marry characters if you have male & female support comparable characters that are ranked S in support. Sometimes it's better to marry certain characters for certain skills for their children - like, if you marry Sully & Gaius, you can get Kjelle who can be a Pegasus Knight and thus have Galeforce... I think. @_@

Yeah I'm looking at the marriage possibilities and it's a very complex game, very interesting. I just wish I was a little better at it... Chapter 4 gave me lots of trouble and I only conquered it due to a lucky start where I used Frederick as a meatshield and he evaded a few hits, giving me more time to prepare.

I scrapped the first playthrough because Chrom and the MU were a bit underleveled, now I'm in a bit of a better situation. I haven't been using pairs much because I don't understand exactly how they work, for example if the unit that's leading the pair makes an action I probably can't switch to the other to make another action, which would be a bit broken because you'd be able to traverse the map twice.

Not planning on doing Lunatic any time soon, although I believe you don't even need to play on Classic to unlock Lunatic+.

Also I hate Chrom's English voice. He doesn't look any older than 20, and they give him the voice of a 40-year-old...

Last edited:

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
Yeah I'm looking at the marriage possibilities and it's a very complex game, very interesting. I just wish I was a little better at it... Chapter 4 gave me lots of trouble and I only conquered it due to a lucky start where I used Frederick as a meatshield and he evaded a few hits, giving me more time to prepare.

I scrapped the first playthrough because Chrom and the MU were a bit underleveled, now I'm in a bit of a better situation. I haven't been using pairs much because I don't understand exactly how they work, for example if the unit that's leading the pair makes an action I probably can't switch to the other to make another action, which would be a bit broken because you'd be able to traverse the map twice.

Not planning on doing Lunatic any time soon, although I believe you don't even need to play on Classic to unlock Lunatic+.

Also I hate Chrom's English voice. He doesn't look any older than 20, and they give him the voice of a 40-year-old...

You need to play Lunatic Classic to unlock Lunatic+. Playing Lunatic Casual unlocks only Lunatic+ Casual. I'm thinking of playing Lunatic Casual and then Lunatic+ Casual just because permadeath makes the game that much more tedious by making you constantly reset. I honestly just don't see the point of resetting 12 times per chapter (and on almost every Spotpass, Streetpass, and Risen) just because one character got axed.

Right now I'm playing on Hard Casual for easy grinding of extra characters. That includes a few Streetpass avatars, some female spotpasses that I really like, and the males with Galeforce (for obvious reasons). In my Lunatic+ run I'll sweep the game by buying these guys from the Avatar Logbook.

I married Nowi this time around because I want Morgan to be a Manakete and Nah to have Galeforce.

I only bought one DLC pack (Golden Pack) specifically to eliminate some grinding elements. I'm debating with myself right now whether or not to buy the pack with Dread Fighter/Bride. Olivia as an assassin with Galeforce is already deadly, so I wonder how much more terrifyingly overpowered she and a few other female characters can be.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
You need to play Lunatic Classic to unlock Lunatic+. Playing Lunatic Casual unlocks only Lunatic+ Casual. I'm thinking of playing Lunatic Casual and then Lunatic+ Casual just because permadeath makes the game that much more tedious by making you constantly reset. I honestly just don't see the point of resetting 12 times per chapter (and on almost every Spotpass, Streetpass, and Risen) just because one character got axed.

Right now I'm playing on Hard Casual for easy grinding of extra characters. That includes a few Streetpass avatars, some female spotpasses that I really like, and the males with Galeforce (for obvious reasons). In my Lunatic+ run I'll sweep the game by buying these guys from the Avatar Logbook.

I married Nowi this time around because I want Morgan to be a Manakete and Nah to have Galeforce.

I only bought one DLC pack (Golden Pack) specifically to eliminate some grinding elements. I'm debating with myself right now whether or not to buy the pack with Dread Fighter/Bride. Olivia as an assassin with Galeforce is already deadly, so I wonder how much more terrifyingly overpowered she and a few other female characters can be.

I wish they hadn't named it "Casual" because it makes the game look like it's easier... Well it IS easier, but only in the sense that there's more room for mistakes. Most people restart if they lose a character in Classic anyway, so by playing Casual you're just spared of something tedious, as you said.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I wish they hadn't named it "Casual" because it makes the game look like it's easier... Well it IS easier, but only in the sense that there's more room for mistakes. Most people restart if they lose a character in Classic anyway, so by playing Casual you're just spared of something tedious, as you said.

Yeah, anytime I have a character killed, I just restart the chapter anyway. xD I guess Casual mode is just a way to save some time on that front. ;~;

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Casual doesn't just kill the tedium, it kills pretty much any strategy. Allowing a way bigger margin for error also allows for more careless planning because there's little risk in doing whatever you want.

People can complain about losing your units/restarting all they want, but that's the big feature that ensures player got to be careful and start playing smart. Want to avoid tedium/losing a character? Then start playing smart. The classic setting is pretty much an insurance for that, and it's the way the game is designed. Fire Emblem uses RPG stats and the fear of restarting/losing a unit for strategy, it's not like Advance Wars in which the strategy is based around units placement and difficulty. It's good game design and what sets it apart from other RPG and strategy games.

With casual, you pretty much get rid one of the two main things that make Fire Emblem. The other, the RPG stats aren't a problem now because of grinidng. Before you had to balance the experience you get so you have a balanced team of strong units. That's bad game design, which is something Awakening is filled with.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Casual doesn't just kill the tedium, it kills pretty much any strategy. Allowing a way bigger margin for error also allows for more careless planning because there's little risk in doing whatever you want.

People can complain about losing your units/restarting all they want, but that's the big feature that ensures player got to be careful and start playing smart. Want to avoid tedium/losing a character? Then start playing smart. The classic setting is pretty much an insurance for that, and it's the way the game is designed. Fire Emblem uses RPG stats and the fear of restarting/losing a unit for strategy, it's not like Advance Wars in which the strategy is based around units placement and difficulty. It's good game design and what sets it apart from other RPG and strategy games.

With casual, you pretty much get rid one of the two main things that make Fire Emblem. The other, the RPG stats aren't a problem now because of grinidng. Before you had to balance the experience you get so you have a balanced team of strong units. That's bad game design, which is something Awakening is filled with.

Hmmm, so would you say that chess doesn't have any strategy because it's a game where sacrifices are sometimes required in order to win? The pieces come back in the next match anyway.

From what I could gather, if you're going to restart the maps anyway, then permadeath just makes the game become a chore. A Nuzlocke run of a Pokémon game is basically the same thing as FE:A's Classic mode. It's actually more unfair since you may end with weak mons because of bad luck with each capture. The whole point of a Nuzlocke is to make you become attached to your mons and to add difficulty because they're gone for good when they faint. If you were allowed to reset when an enemy wipes you out due to a random crit or some other hax, what would be the point of Nuzlocking the game? You might as well just spare the trouble and use Revives and PC's when applicable. A 6-0 win in Pokémon is as valuable as a 1-0 win.

The bad game design surfaces when a feature doesn't work as intended. If most FE players (including you since you've admitted to it) will reset because they lost a unit (even a lowly unit), the feature is not working as intended because a loss is supposed to be felt and impact your gameplay severely. Resetting eliminates the impact of losses. The added difficulty of Classic mode isn't in losing the unit in the battle it dies, but in not having the unit in future battles (especially if it's a prized unit). If you advocated Classic mode just because of strategy, then they could've just made the game with only Casual mode and added bonuses if you beat a map without losing characters like so many other games do, and which I think is most reasonable (Pokémon Stadium for the N64 gave you a continue for every enemy you beat without losses, for example).

Finally, this is an RPG. Cheap crits, untimely counters and bad RNG rolls do exist. No playing smart will get around an unfortunate crit that forces you to restart. I think if they wanted to make it a truly hardcore experience, they would've added autosave after each turn on top of permadeath to drive off the "hardcore" players who reset and add some truth to that "every decision counts" they write below the Classic option.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Hmmm, so would you say that chess doesn't have any strategy because it's a game where sacrifices are sometimes required in order to win? The pieces come back in the next match anyway.
Terrible analogy. Not even the same context.

From what I could gather, if you're going to restart the maps anyway, then permadeath just makes the game become a chore.
To you maybe, but no one is forcing you to restart. No one is forcing anyone to restart. It's a choice.
A Nuzlocke run of a Pokémon game is basically the same thing as FE:A's Classic mode. It's actually more unfair since you may end with weak mons because of bad luck with each capture. The whole point of a Nuzlocke is to make you become attached to your mons and to add difficulty because they're gone for good when they faint. If you were allowed to reset when an enemy wipes you out due to a random crit or some other hax, what would be the point of Nuzlocking the game? You might as well just spare the trouble and use Revives and PC's when applicable. A 6-0 win in Pokémon is as valuable as a 1-0 win.
Comparing two different things again. What are you on about? Fire Emblem isn't about getting attached to units at all, but losing a unit can be critical in situations.

If I wanted to do I could restart in Nuzlocke if a Pokemon I liked died, but it defeats the purpose. Doesn't it? You see where I'm getting at?

Plus in Fire Emblem, restarting allows the player to adapt to the situations and get used to enemy placements, their classes, map designs and pretty much everything pertaining to the series and using it to your advantage. Teaching by trial and error, basically. Eventually you'll get to the point where you can afford losing a unit. Good Fire Emblem players sacrifice units, actually.

The bad game design surfaces when a feature doesn't work as intended. If most FE players (including you since you've admitted to it) will reset because they lost a unit (even a lowly unit)
Huh? Where? Where did I admit that?

the feature is not working as intended because a loss is supposed to be felt and impact your gameplay severely. Resetting eliminates the impact of losses.
The added difficulty of Classic mode isn't in losing the unit in the battle it dies, but in not having the unit in future battles (especially if it's a prized unit). If you advocated Classic mode just because of strategy, then they could've just made the game with only Casual mode and added bonuses if you beat a map without losing characters like so many other games do, and which I think is most reasonable (Pokémon Stadium for the N64 gave you a continue for every enemy you beat without losses, for example).
Uh, nope. That's not Fire Emblem.
This is how the series is designed. This is how the fans of the series and the players like it. The games are supposed to be unforgivable, and it's not supposed to be for everyone. Or do you think competitive fighting games are stupid because all the moves are made with stick motions instead of just easier button pushing?

It's an annoyance to most in the first playthrough of a game, perhaps, but the series has the merit of being replayable. Subsequent playthroughs are all about long term strategy, and all this allows Fire Emblem to have this kind of unique replay value.

Finally, this is an RPG. Cheap crits, untimely counters and bad RNG rolls do exist. No playing smart will get around an unfortunate crit that forces you to restart. I think if they wanted to make it a truly hardcore experience, they would've added autosave after each turn on top of permadeath to drive off the "hardcore" players who reset and add some truth to that "every decision counts" they write below the Classic option.
You can easily avoid that if you're used to way the game is designed. There's a counter for crits and misses, so you know what you're getting into. If you lost the gamble, it's your fault, not the game's. RNG is only a ***** when levelling up.

Fire Emblem always had a steep learning curve, but the series is highly rewarding if you stick with it because of that. All the features in the game, and "Classic" mode, is what allowed the series to have that merit. In an essence, the games are timeless because of it. Awakening is not, and will be looked back on rather negatively by strategy enthusiasts. (Already starting to kick in, actually...)

Years
I think Casual is a good way for someone to get to know the basic mechanics of the game for series beginners. In my case I started out with Normal/Casual and then moved up to Hard/Classic after accidentally deleting my original save file. I haven't had much problems adjusting to the difficulty.

Casual also adds another depth into the game I think. For example Lunatic/Casual will be a very different gameplay than a Normal/Classic. To me both modes have their merits even if one may be lesser than another.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
I like the casual mode because I like being able to save at anytime...
To me, it doesn't matter about the whole "unit comes back" thing...
I refuse to let any of my units die & will reset to save them, casual or classic.

But I do try to play smart so it wouldn't happen in the first place...

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Terrible analogy. Not even the same context.

Aren't both strategy games?

To you maybe, but no one is forcing you to restart. No one is forcing anyone to restart. It's a choice.

A choice that defeats the purpose of the game.

Comparing two different things again. What are you on about? Fire Emblem isn't about getting attached to units at all, but losing a unit can be critical in situations.

If I wanted to do I could restart in Nuzlocke if a Pokemon I liked died, but it defeats the purpose. Doesn't it? You see where I'm getting at?

Plus in Fire Emblem, restarting allows the player to adapt to the situations and get used to enemy placements, their classes, map designs and pretty much everything pertaining to the series and using it to your advantage. Teaching by trial and error, basically. Eventually you'll get to the point where you can afford losing a unit. Good Fire Emblem players sacrifice units, actually.

I'm not comparing two different things. Don't twist my words. The feeling of attachment in a Nuzlocke is just an excuse, something for the lulz. The real point of the ruleset is to make the game harder, by using self-imposed rules much similar to, you guessed, FE. It actually is more unfair because the RNG may give you bad Pokémon as the first encounter in each route, so you're stuck with an unbalanced team that won't allow you to beat the game unless you grind a lot, whereas in FE the only really bad thing that can happen are poor level ups. Of course, a Pokémon battle against the AI is pathetically easy compared to a FE map, but you're still learning the opponent by restarting.

Also, how is restarting in Pokémon (or any game, for that matter) not "teaching by trial and error" compared to FE? It's the same thing. AI is scripted. If you restart enough times, you'll learn the AI routines and prepare accordingly. That's true for absolutely any game, but it's a horrible mechanic. And with permadeath and last saves, FE ends up intensifiying it, which is a problem. In the vast majority of games, you only restart if you lose. In FE people restart if one of their characters is shot down, it isn't even the loss of the battle.

Huh? Where? Where did I admit that?

You advocate Classic mode and say restarting is okay, even to the point of justifying it. You may have given me the wrong impression.

Uh, nope. That's not Fire Emblem.
This is how the series is designed. This is how the fans of the series and the players like it. The games are supposed to be unforgivable, and it's not supposed to be for everyone. Or do you think competitive fighting games are stupid because all the moves are made with stick motions instead of just easier button pushing?

It's an annoyance to most in the first playthrough of a game, perhaps, but the series has the merit of being replayable. Subsequent playthroughs are all about long term strategy, and all this allows Fire Emblem to have this kind of unique replay value.

Well I guess it's a good thing that they realized that not everyone is a masochist and included Casual mode, although they gave it this unfortunate name to allow the "hardcore" players to make fun of the "casuals", it seems.

You can easily avoid that if you're used to way the game is designed. There's a counter for crits and misses, so you know what you're getting into. If you lost the gamble, it's your fault, not the game's. RNG is only a ***** when levelling up.

Roll of the dice is a ***** in every RPG. Can't see how it's my fault when the enemy has only a 5% crit chance and he crits, irrespective of the game.

Fire Emblem always had a steep learning curve, but the series is highly rewarding if you stick with it because of that. All the features in the game, and "Classic" mode, is what allowed the series to have that merit. In an essence, the games are timeless because of it. Awakening is not, and will be looked back on rather negatively by strategy enthusiasts. (Already starting to kick in, actually...)

Why, because FE:A is "easier"? Easier doesn't mean worse if the mechanics are enjoyable. I'm enjoying FE:A so far.

FE:A was very well received and sold well enough to avoid a planned cancellation of the series. It could be shunned by strategy enthusiasts, but those, as with any hardcore gaming demographic, are a very small percentage of the public. Casual mode might have helped in that regard, and even the devs admit it was a good choice to include it, despite initially opposing to it.

Both of my current playthroughs (one on Normal, one on Hard) are in Classic mode. I'm using the Normal one to learn the game, I'm quite enjoying it and I'll resume the Hard one once I beat the Normal one, however I might switch to Casual in the Hard one because, though I may not be getting the FE experience, I'm still getting an experience that I enjoy. I think Seattle nailed it, the Casual mode may be easier but it adds more depth to the game when coupled with a higher difficulty setting, unless of course you play on Normal/Casual which is just too easy. I understand some people like the thrill of being on the verge of losing their units forever but that's something I never liked in videogames, which is why I don't do Nuzlocke runs or other crap like that.

shadowdueler474

Muffins for all!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 25, 2014
I've been thinking about doing an iroman run of Lunatic classic. I just need to figure out how to get through the first couple chapters then I can just use Avatar and pair up to solo the rest of the game.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
I've been thinking about doing an iroman run of Lunatic classic. I just need to figure out how to get through the first couple chapters then I can just use Avatar and pair up to solo the rest of the game.

Look on YouTube. There are very specific things you need to do. And after the first few chapters, you really need Golden Pack or else you won't level up much or get enough money for anything.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Ike. Yeah, my favorite lord of all, and I suppose my favorite character overall. His growth in Path Of Radiance just sold me instantly. His journey taking him from common mercenary to epic hero was what I enjoyed most about him. You can really see how unqualified he was in the beginning, and how there was a serious change over time as opposed to a common dude somehow being an amazing leader, or always being crappy. He is also my main in SSBB.

I actually enjoyed shadow Dragon over Awakening.

Back