• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Games you weren't allowed to play as a kid?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Are there any games you weren't allowed to play, or did play but were probably too young?

I played Fable when I was around 8 years old. While I had played other games, such as Grand Theft Auto, it was my first time seeing more detailed violence, such as a decapitation.

I got to a certain point pretty early where it was too much to play, but did end up going back and liking the series when I was older.

TY

Considering I started gaming at the age of 2 with C&C Red Alert, I can set up a washlist of games I played but was too young for it.

Parents never intervened cause they were confident I knew the difference between reality and the virtual worlds of video games.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 4, 2018
I don't remember a lot lol, but GTA as far as I can remember, any game which had titled A or above certain age was a no go for me.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
The only game that was really forbidden was GTA (which I go to my cousin's for). Other than that, my parents were pretty liberal when it came to video games, including the older Mortal Kombat on the Genesis.

Years
The only game that was really forbidden was GTA (which I go to my cousin's for). Other than that, my parents were pretty liberal when it came to video games, including the older Mortal Kombat on the Genesis.

Do you have fond memories of those days? If you ask me, PS1 and PS2 were rather sweet. Though I kinda hope I had access to Gamecube as well...

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
Do you have fond memories of those days? If you ask me, PS1 and PS2 were rather sweet. Though I kinda hope I had access to Gamecube as well...

Yes. My dad let us play on his old Genesis he had when he was dating my mom. We mostly played MK3, Sonic 1 (which I sucked at), Slyvester and Tweety and Boogerman. Likewise, I played on the PS2 a lot as a kid, mostly Finding Nemo, Simpsons Road Rage, Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero (Failing at the Devil Went Down to Georgia) and SpongeBob.

Years
Yes. My dad let us play on his old Genesis he had when he was dating my mom. We mostly played MK3, Sonic 1 (which I sucked at), Slyvester and Tweety and Boogerman. Likewise, I played on the PS2 a lot as a kid, mostly Finding Nemo, Simpsons Road Rage, Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero (Failing at the Devil Went Down to Georgia) and SpongeBob.

Sounds like you had fun alright. Which platforms do you like to play now?

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
In one of the schools I went to, my teacher had an N64 and my classmates wanted to play Super Smash Bros but the teacher would not allow that game in the classroom because it was considered violent after the Columbine High School massacre shooting incident.

Years
Platforms I have currently are PC, 3DS, Wii, Xbox 360 and PS4.

Good to hear. You still have an Xbox 360, huh? That's nice I suppose. Lost Odyssey should be ported to PC already if you ask me. As for 3DS, I suppose it's great that Nintendo is trying to keep alive with releases such as WarioWare gold. But then again, I guess there eventually comes a time when the era of 3DS comes to end too...

Years
Flash games when i was like 5 or 6 years old, violent mostly.
But anyways i play violent games since i was 8, and the first one that i played is an fps called counter-strike.
Man, this game is awesome, also got to know duke nukem 3d and doom too, they are equally awesome.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Like everyone else, it was mostly GTA. My parents were never too bothered to learn about video games or anything like that, so GTA was the only overtly "bad" game that they perceived as a bad influence on me when I watched my brothers play it.

I don't know if they were really forbid me from playing it, but it was definitely frowned upon.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
My parents were heavily influenced by news when it came to judging what games I could and could not play. GTA was an absolute no, but when I was at friends' places, I would play it. As I've grown though, I've had less and less reach from my parents to the point that they would probably care what I play but I'd probably tell them that I'm a grown-ass man and that they should put up with it.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I was never restricted from playing games.

I remember my parents buying me that South Park racing game on the N64, which was pretty taboo at the time with the show?s reputation. Think that came out when I was 10? I also played a lot of Doom and Duke Nukem.

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
My parents were always pretty strict and wouldn't allow me to play any games that were 16+. However since recently they have become a little more lax and allow me to play pretty much anything, I'm 17 for those now in the know.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Funny thing was, when they realized I had been playing Duke and Thief way too young, my parents then implemented an age limit for my little brother ???? I was a lost cause, but he had to wait even longer to get to play stuff ahah.

Back